Rebecca on broadway

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:19pm

I'm hoping for the best. I would love to see the German production. I absloutely LOVED Tanz der Vampire in Berlin and would jump at the chance to see that again. I'm not fond of the score for Elisabeth, but I would genuinely like to see the show in person to properly put everything in context. Both Tanz and Elisabeth are irrefutable hits in Europe as well as in Asia (Elisabeth is one of Takarazuka's most popular shows). I do hope one day that Broadway will see a proper production of Tanz der Vampire as it was meant to be staged. Huge difference.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ThankstoPhantom
#26re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:32pm

What's wonderful is that this production will be the production as seen in Vienna, albeit they will make some changes for cultural purposes (there are two stereotypical but easily replaced or changed songs that may not work in the English-speaking world...."I'm an American Woman" and "We are British").
Here are some more photographic appetizers....

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 9/8/08 at 01:32 PM

Mattbrain
#27re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:59pm

Well, you know, one of the factors in its favor is that the director is legally able to travel to the United States. That was one of the problems with Tanz. Roman Polanski was the director and there was no way he could be able to direct the show on Broadway.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#28re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/8/08 at 4:20pm

F*CK yes!!!! They'll have to change some of the english lyrics- for those of you who have heard the demo, you'll know what I mean, but I'm going to either audition for it or see it openingh night, because it's one of my favorite shows.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#29re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/8/08 at 4:20pm

F*CK yes!!!! They'll have to change some of the english lyrics- for those of you who have heard the demo, you'll know what I mean, but I'm going to either audition for it or see it openingh night, because it's one of my favorite shows.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#30re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/8/08 at 4:22pm

My friend said he wondered how it would translate to English.

The BWW article says it will have a run at the Guthrie in the title but there is no mention of that in the article.

Just give the world Love.

ThankstoPhantom
#31re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:43pm

That Guthrie mention is a mix up on the writer's part (Zambello's Little House is there right now). The show is actually having a pre-Broadway tryout in Toronto at the end of 2009.

About the translation....as mentioned before, the translation will be by Christopher Hampton, not Michael Kunze, who is the writer of the libretto and the translator on the English demo. I am sure the fresh set of eyes Hampton will provide will bring a beautiful translation. :)

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#32re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 1:57am

I absolutely love the live cast recording and can't wait for this to transfer.

I'd seriously love to see Uwe Kroeger as Maxim, but I'm only half-joking/half-serious when I suggest Patti as Mrs. Danvers. :P

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#33re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 9:17am

Lol! Oh man, Patti as Mrs. Danvers would definitely be interesting! I'd like to see Marilyn Caskey myself but I'm thinking the role may be a bit too close to Mme. Giry in Phantom for her. I just really like her a lot!

I agree with you about Uwe Kroeger though. I still can't believe he hasn't come to Broadway yet considering he's the biggest thing since sliced bread over there and has been involved in nearly every German or Viennese musical that has been staged!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#34re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 10:05am

SO excited...but am not surprised. This is one of the most exciting scores in years, imo, and the story is tested and true from one of the greatest storytellers. I have no doubt this will be a hit.

I dont understand, though, why "I'm an American Woman" and "We Are British" shouldnt work...even though the former is one off my least favorite numbers in the show. Mrs. Van Hopper is American, and the chorus are British...that should't change for the Broadway run.

Patti should start campaigning now for the role of Mrs. Danvers, though there are many belting actors who could handle the role.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#35re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 10:10am

Actually, I'd LOVE to play Danvers!!! She's pretty manly.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#36re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 10:26am

The photos of the sets & costumes look great (but the lighting is a bit too cheery for me).

And Mrs. Danvers looks too pretty, young and girly.

She needs to scare the crap out of you, like Judith Anderson did in the film.

I'm thinkin' George Hearn as Mrs. Danvers. re: Rebecca on broadway

Or just borrow Andrea Martin from Young Frankenstein, who borrowed from Cloris Leachman in the film, who borrowed originally from Judith Anderson in Rebecca!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#37re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 10:43am

um...besty, dont you think I'd be scary enuf as Danvers? Sheesh!

Mister Matt
#38re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 11:33am

Nancy Opel = Mrs. Danvers

1st runner-up would be Stephanie J. Block.

Two very different women, but both very capable of the role.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#39re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 11:58am

I'd say Barbara Walsh, but she's busy right now.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Mister Matt
#40re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 12:24pm

Barbara is wonderful, but she always seems so small to me. I guess it would depend who is cast as Mrs. de Winter. I mean, physically, I may have a hard time buying a scary Danvers when it looks like Mrs. de Winter could easily kick her ass down the stairs. If you had a tiny frail Mrs. de Winter, I could see it.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#41re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 12:33pm

I dont think Walsh is strong enough vocally. Can she belt that high?

Block is a good choice, and she seems quite tall.

Vocally, I'd love Ripley.

exedore
#42re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 5:40pm

Depending on how old you want to make Mrs. Danvers (according to the book she was Rebecca's nurse, nanny, and personal maid - and possible lesbian lover), we could always stick Betty Buckley in a wig.

Mister Matt
#43re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/9/08 at 5:43pm

I love that idea! Just dig out her Mrs. White costume and wig and you're set!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#44re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/10/08 at 9:12am

Judy Kuhn

Mattbrain
#45re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:17pm

Ruthie Henshall?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

ThankstoPhantom
#46re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 10/22/08 at 1:13pm

I found this fan-made video of "Manderley in Flammen"...fans of the show will find it hysterical, I think...especially Danvers and the staircase on fire...
Manderley in Flammen-Lego Style

Mattbrain
#47re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 10/22/08 at 5:55pm

How is the latest economic disaster going to affect this show? It's a big production and I just don't know how it will fare what with the high running costs. And they'll be high.

Mattbrain
#48re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 10/22/08 at 5:56pm

Double post.

Updated On: 10/22/08 at 05:56 PM

ThankstoPhantom
#49re: Rebecca on broadway
Posted: 10/23/08 at 2:00am

There haven't been any updates from the European papers at this time. The proposed Toronto staging is still 13 months away, so whether or not it is happening will probably be announced by February or March, I'd guess. (It could really be any time).

The running costs will be high (the hydraulics and the stunt person who catches on fire will be hefty to uphold), that is for certain.