pixeltracker

September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance

September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance

coolkid11776
#1September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:45pm

I Was at the final performance last night.
I have a little bit of a story on how I finally got tickets.
I had been in contact with the company manager of the Nederlander Theater trying to get tickets since July. I called him on August 29th and he said "I don't think we are going to be able to do anything but call me back a day or two before the show and I'll let you know for sure". So I called him back on Friday September 5th he wasn't there he was on vacation. I got another girl who worked in his office. I told her that I'd been speaking to him about getting tickets. She was like "We have a few left". She told me that she was able to set aside tickets for me and that they would be held at the Box office under my name. I got really happy. Then on Sunday my family and I went to try the lottery (Since she was only able to get me 2 tickets my parents wanted to see the show as well). They also lotted off 15 extra pairs of tickets in addition to the 32 seats in the first 2 rows. We didn't win the lottery (While waiting for them to pull the lottery names I met Jeffery Seller). When we lost the lottery a man came up to us he saw my 10 year old sister crying. He told my dad that he saw that my sister looked upset and told my dad that he was a teacher and liked seeing people happy he gave my dad a ticket for my sister. My dad offered him money but he wouldn't take any.
Then at like 12:30 I went to the box office to pick up these tickets. The man at the box office said "I'm sorry but there are no tickets for you". I then called Kaitlin (The lady at the production office who said she could get my tickets) and told her the box office didn't have tickets for me. She said "I'm sorry there was confusion on the phone I though you were Ken Roberson we have tickets on hold for him sorry but we don't have any tickets on hold for you". I then called Andy who is the Company manager I told him the story and asked him if there was anything he could do he said we already did the lottery and there is physically not one empty seat in that house tonight so I'm sorry we don't have any tickets for you.
Then we see Scott (the man who gave us the tickets). I told him what happened and how I thought I had tickets I asked him if he had another one and he said "Because you came up to me and asked me I'll give it to you". So I ended up with 2 tickets for the Closing performance of RENT. We offered Scott money but he didn't take any he just said he enjoyed seeing people happy. Now onto the show.

We were seated in Row Q of the Right Orchestra. We got back to the theater around 5:30PM and stood on the other side of the street for a while (The side with the Mary Poppins stagedoor) because you could get no where near the front of the theater because of all the security. We saw some famous people walking in. Then finally at 6PM my sister and I got on the ticket line. We got into the theater at around 6:40 the show didn't start till 7. When Will came out to tune the guitar the crowd went CRAZY. When Adam came out to start the show there was at least 3 minutes standing ovation. Before he started his opening line he said "As We did when we opened we delicate this performance to Jonathan Larson". Once again the crowd stood on there feet and clapped. It was an AMAZING night. When they sang RENT I realized that this was the last time I'd ever hear them sing RENT on Broadway I just took in every minute of it. When Will sang One Song Glory I realized that it would be the last time I saw Roger's Shadow on the wall. He put Soooo much emotion and feeling into it, you could tell he felt sadness that it was closing. As soon as they finished LVB I realized it was the last LVB EVER on Broadway. It made me really sad. At Intermission I saw Jeffery again and he said "You made it" I told him the story of how I got the tickets and he said "It was meant to be". (Note: I think Jonathan had something to do with it, I Believe that he was smiling down on me). I got chills during I'll cover you reprise last night I felt that we weren't only crying about losing Angel but about Losing this amazing show. Once Finale B came and they sang that last "NO DAY BUT TODAY" and Angel came running back out onstage It Really hit me that it was over and I broke down crying. Then after the Bows the OBC and all of the Past cast members who were they sang Seasons of Love. It felt like there was sooo much love in that theater last night. I talked to Sonny (One of the lottery guys) after the show and he saw everyone (Including me) crying. He said to me "I thought it hit me when I was announcing the last lottery and thanking all the friends I've made, but this made it really seem real like it is really over this show is a real tearjerker". I told Sonny that I was also going to miss going to lottery very much I told him that Lottery had become a part of RENT for me even when I didn't win it was still fun to see everyone at lottery. After the show Stage door was CRAZY. I talked to Frenche Davis as I was walking out of the theater. I also talked to Jonathan Dad and thanked him for raising such an amazing son. I also talked to Anthony Rapp which was really nice. I told him I was seeing the tour just for him and he said Thank you. Walking away from the theater last night was probably one of the hardest things I've EVER had to do. I felt like I was leaving a second family behind.

So it was an amazing night. A nice close to a 12 year run.
I can't Believe it’s really over
Rent Always will be my favorite show it changed my life. It will always hold a special place in my heart.
April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008
"No Day but Today" 12 amazing years

(Thanks for reading my review sorry it was soo long)
Edited for spelling

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"
Updated On: 9/8/08 at 09:45 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#2re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:50pm

I pumped my fist when I saw this thread.

Did you get Scott's address? Send that man some flowers or some ****!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#4re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:52pm

Did you ever write on the theatre?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:53pm

I don't believe you.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#6re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:54pm

I think I went cross eyed reading that. I had the urge to take a red pen to my monitor.

EDIT- Scan or take a photo of your ticket stub. Updated On: 9/8/08 at 09:54 PM

Yankeefan007
#7re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:54pm

Not Jesus. Jonathan.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:55pm

I can't even figure out an appropriate response for this.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#9re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:55pm

Scanning is a BIG no no. It turns it black.

Trekkie2
#10re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:56pm

I'm watching Family Guy right now, and as soon as I clicked on this thread, Peter said "If you wanted to do a bad show, why don't we just do Rent." I think Jonathan had something to do with it, I Believe that he was smiling down on me.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

jake6970
#11re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:57pm

lololol guys but coolkid is actually telling the truth...this man was giving away free tickets.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#12re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:58pm

got chills during I'll cover you reprise last night I felt that we weren't only crying about losing Angel but about Losing this amazing show

so profound!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#13re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 9:59pm

How the hell do you have so much F******* luck? That's ridiculous. So in order to get anything I need to cry and whine about it. It's not how it works in real life.

Yankeefan007
#14re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:00pm

Who cares if the man was giving away free tickets?

I can say:

"I saw RENT's final performance, I saw a nice gentleman who was actually giving away free tickets."

People would believe me, because I have credibility around here...at least, I hope I have even the slightest modicum of credibility around here.

Coolkid's story is so remarkably far-fetched...not that he has much credibility to begin with...

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#15re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:03pm

Oh

My

God

... the fact that you would even have the nerve to use your young age to manipulate this Scott fellow into giving you ANOTHER ticket is just f*cking selfish.

I'm sorry but since when do Mangers, at Production Companies, carry on daily phone conversations with children about tickets???

This is f*cking ridiculous.

Someone print this thread out, frame it, and put it in the Nederlander.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#16re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:03pm

I'm betting he got chills from listening to the audio & weeping.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:07pm

I am dying to know if this story is true.

Yankeefan007
#18re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:08pm

Who cares if it's true?

True or not, it's hilarious.

This easily wins Thread of the Year. Somebody screencap it for when it gets deleted...'cause you know it will.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#19re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:10pm

I'm obsessed with it.

It has the potential to be an amazing short film.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#20re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:11pm

Okay... I think this is the dream that Coolkid had last night, so he could have something to tell us today.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Yankeefan007
#21re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:12pm

So if the girl at the production office thought Coolkid was Ken Robinson, is Coolkid's name something like "Ben Robertson?"

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#22re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:12pm

I already capped it. It is preserved for EVER! HAhahahahaha! No denying it down the road.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#23re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:13pm

I'm not convinced that he was actually there.

Did he reveal anything NEW about last night??

Could've just made this crap up.

Oh... he's like a mini-Too Darn Hot!! aww my baby. re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance Updated On: 9/8/08 at 10:13 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#24re: September 7th 2008 Rent's Final Broadway Performance
Posted: 9/8/08 at 10:13pm

If alumni only got one ticket apiece and had trouble getting them, why the hell would the company manager have a stash of free tickets?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Videos