"Let Her Be a Child" from ATOTC

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#1"Let Her Be a Child" from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:26pm

When I saw the show in previews, it was sung as a solo by Carton, but I read that it was also being fooled around with as a duet between Carton and Darnay. Does anyone know who sings the song in the final version of the show now that it's open?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#2re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:43pm

Solo for Carton.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:54pm

I remember going to a preview where I saw it as a solo for Carton and then I went another time and saw it as a duet. And then the third time I went it was back to a solo again. I happened to see Jill Santorello when I went out for a smoke at intermission and I asked her about that. She had said that they fooled around with the idea of making it a duet for about a couple of performances but that the creative team really didn't like it so they switched it back to the original version of it being a solo.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#3re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 7:18pm

Do Carton and Darnay sing any songs together? I only have two songs from the concept recording, and I've heard snippets of others. But hearing James Barbour and Aaron Lazar together is a pretty irresistable concept.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#4re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 7:28pm

If Dreams Came True is no longer just a Carton solo, atleast wehn I saw it (previews). It's more like Carton singing the song and Darnay adds a few lines into it.

And Winston that story seems a bit strange. Aren't you like 17?

And it's bizarre that it wouldn't be a solo. I don't think it necessarily applies to Darnay, as much atleast, as it does Carton, not to mention that's been labeled his "big" song for as long as I've known/followed it.

angelbabe8258 Profile Photo
angelbabe8258
#5re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:06pm

"If Dreams Came True" isn't a Carton solo anymore?! I feel like it would lose some of itself if it became a duet, but I guess i'll just have to see how they word it and make it fit to truely judge it.

broadwayfan310
#6re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:15pm

it is not a duet anymore.. It is Cartons solo and James Barbour makes you cry when he sings this song..

perfectliar
#7re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:23pm

"Let Her Be a Child" is the same song as "Bring Him Home."

broadwayfan310
#8re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:26pm

They sound nothing alike!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#9re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:33pm

Actually, Let Her Be a Child reminds me of Make Them Hear You from Ragtime.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:42pm

philly03, How does my story not make sense. Jill was hanging around the theatre during all the previews as was most of the creative team. Each time I saw it and went out for a smoke I saw her out there as well. I saw the show enough times in previews to see the changes and the things that they tinkered with (as all shows do) during the preview process.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:07am

I think the comment was in reference to your smoking at 17.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:19am

I am 18 I can buy cigs. I will admit that I started to smoke before I was 18.

bwaylvsong
#13re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:32am

Winston, if you're even considering a career in performing, stop smoking NOW. You should stop anyway for the obvious health reasons, but it will especially take a toll on your voice.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#14re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:36am

I found that from being in shows when I was smoking that my singing voice was the best its ever been. I have been able to hit a bunch of high notes that were giving me trouble for the longest time and my breath support is amazing. I am singing rings around the people in the casts I am in.

bwaylvsong
#15re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:50am

Yeah... FOR NOW!
I have a friend that started smoking at a relatively young age, and her voice also improved when she first started. After a few months, she noticed that she had "lost" the ability to belt. Now she doesn't even have a chest voice, and her formerly high soprano is becoming more and more difficult for her to access. She recently quit, and her voice has not improved, but hasn't declined any more.

SporkGoddess
#16re: 'Let Her Be a Child' from ATOTC
Posted: 9/22/08 at 10:56am

Smoking increases your range for a bit, but it's still the Kiss of Death for singers.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Videos