pixeltracker

9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?

9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?

buddharich
#19 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 11:58am

Allison Janney, Stephanie J. Block, and Megan Hilty - I'm guessing A. Janney will play the Jane Fonda role, S.J. Block will play the Lily Tomlin role, and Megan Hilty will play the Dolly Parton role??

I'm unfamiliar with Megan Hilty - is she a newcomer??

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 12:02pm

http://www.google.com

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bwaylvsong
#2re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 12:05pm

I believe you're right. Megan Hilty played Glinda in WICKED in NY and originated the role in the LA company.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 12:05pm

There is a whole sneak peek video here on BWW that you can watch and it tells you. Or do a search for threads on it. it has been discussed.

Just give the world Love.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#4re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 12:06pm

Who's this Allison Janney woman? Has she ever done anything good before? Never heard of her! And this Stephanie... Black or whoever!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 12:21pm

Megan Hilty: Doralee Rhodes (DOLLY PARTON'S ROLE)
Allison Janney: Violet Newstead (LILY TOMLIN)
Stephanie J. Block: Judy Bernly (JANE FONDA)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#6re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 1:51pm

seriously??? Wow. Just wow.

DefyGravity777
#7re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 2:08pm

I think that Weez is just kidding. Well I'm hoping that Weez is just kidding :/.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#8re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 2:21pm

I <3 Weez.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#9re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 2:25pm

Janney seriously kicks butt in it. She makes the role her own, sings in a great character belt, and is totally at ease in the staging. The audience adores her. Hilty is closer to Dolly's take (but the role was written for Dolly, and Dolly wrote these songs, so it's almost unavoidable). And Hilty is adorable doing her impression, too, so the audience also eats her up. Block's role is not that well-defined, and has the hardest arc (particularly since they want her to deliver a DEFYING GRAVITY type belt anthem power ballad in Act Two, so her mousy character has to really evolve quickly), but she is still quite good. The night i saw it, they had set problems, during which two grips snuck out to push a couch downstage to clear the center trap for the next entrance. Block was doing the toke scene, and adlibbed "i feel like we're moving. Girls, are we moving?" which gave Hilty a Harvey Korman/Tim Conway type moment of barely suppressed laughter. It stopped the show, so i'll love Block for that and her Liza in BOY FROM OZ forever.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

buddharich
#10re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 4:33pm

Thanks for the information!!! I am SO looking forward to this show! I am big Dolly fan and loved the movie, too. I was unsure as to Allison Janney's singing abilities, since I have only seen her in plays and as C.J. on The West Wing. I've loved Stephanie J. Block in everything she's done, esp. The Boy From Oz, but the Jane Fonda role was the least interesting in the movie so it will be interesting to see what she can do with the role.

TxTwoStep: what is the score like? Does it contain mostly new songs or a mix of songs beyond "9 To 5" from Dolly's career? (I would think "Working Girl" would work well on the stage)...

Jon
#11re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 4:54pm

All the other songs are new, but Doly herself performs Doralee's song "Backwoods Barbie" on her latest CD.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#12re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 5:15pm

I think that Weez is just kidding. Well I'm hoping that Weez is just kidding :/

My comment was more for the original poster. Weez is obviously being sarcastic (well, maybe not so obviously re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role? )

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#13re: 9 to 5's leading ladies: which actress plays which role?
Posted: 10/7/08 at 5:15pm

it's a great chart!

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."