pixeltracker

Universities in Canada with a BFA program

Universities in Canada with a BFA program

skibumb5290 Profile Photo
skibumb5290
#1Universities in Canada with a BFA program
Posted: 10/13/08 at 12:28am

I know that this needs to be on the student board but no one ever checks that
I am in college in the states and if McCain wins I am moving to Canada would someone please let me know the the colleges in Canada with a BFA in technical theatre

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 10/13/08 at 12:36am

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 12:36 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2re: Universities in Canada with a BFA program
Posted: 10/13/08 at 12:50am

I can only speak for Toronto. Ryerson University and York University both offer BFAs in production.

epicamends
#3re: Universities in Canada with a BFA program
Posted: 10/13/08 at 1:10am

I know in Western Canada we have one at the University of Alberta (in Edmonton) and at the University of BC they have a BFA in Design and Production.

outdamnwench
#4re: Universities in Canada with a BFA program
Posted: 10/13/08 at 1:14am

Ewww, York.

Do yourself a favor, and choose Ryerson. I'm in first-year and it's amazing. I've heard nothing but bad things about York, and Ryerson is very well known in the industry.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#5re: Universities in Canada with a BFA program
Posted: 10/13/08 at 1:51am

I'm a graduate of Ryerson, and loved it. They have changed the program quite a bit since I was there, but the profs are still there and they are a great bunch, and still work in the field so their knowledge is up to date and relevant. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Akiva

lightguy06222
#6re: Universities in Canada with a BFA program
Posted: 10/13/08 at 11:35am

I actually have to disagree with some others, and say do NOT choose Ryerson, choose York.

I am currently in my 4th year in the design and production stream, and have absolutely loved it. All the faculty are professional designers, who have made quite the name for themselves. The Dean of the faculty of fine arts is an extremely well known Canadian set, costume, and lighting designer, who has won 3(?) Dora Awards(the Tonys of Toronto i guess...)

Also, my Set Design teacher, Teresa Pryzbylski(sp?) has currently won 5 Doras, and the chair of our Theatre Department, Shawn Kerwin, has won 3 or 4. Oh, and my Lighting Design professor last year was the Associate Designer of the Lion King in toronto.

We also have fantastic facilities, including a 600+ seat thrust theatre, a 100+ seat black box, a 350 seat recital hall(BRAND new) a 350 seat full fly prosc house(BRAND new) and a 150 seat dance theatre. We also have 4 large studio spaces, which have been turned into theatres for small productions many many times.

There is AMPLE oppertunity for students here at York. All the "crew" work for the shows are done completely by students, INCLUDING the entire design of every mainstage shows. All the major positions, from Production Manager, and Stage Manager, to Technical Director, Designers, and Head of Wardrobe, are done by students.

We DO pick weird off the wall shows sometimes, but I think that adds to the learning experience. They always bring in well known directors to direct the T@Y shows, and those directors are generally such a great oppertunity to work with.

FINALLY, graduating from York automatically puts you in a good place to get in the door of the theatre world. I have gone backstage at every large theatre in toronto, and I am always blown away at how many "yorkies" are working there.

Sorry Ryerson guys, but York dominates the theatre scene in T dot.

EDIT:

ALSO! York provides AMAZING international oppertunities for their students. 2 Summers ago, 5 Faculty Members and 35 Production Students all traveled to PRAGUE to attend the Prague Quadrinniel 06', and actually help set up the Canadian National Exhibit. And the University actually subsidized a portion of our cost. After spending 10 days in prague, we all traveled(with our Professors) to ITALY to see some sites, and get drunk off good wine. I spent every night in rome with my best friends, and my amazing professors, getting drunk off amazing wine, and spent the day seeing in person what I had been learning about in my architecture history class. It was unreal. Updated On: 10/13/08 at 11:35 AM

Videos