Is anyone going to "A Converstation with Stephen Sondheim?"
I am, and so excited!

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/19/08 at 8:35am

When/where/what is this?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

glitterandjazzhands Profile Photo
glitterandjazzhands
#2re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:17am

I'm seeing it here in Florida in Feb. and I'm so excited! Is Christine Ebersole going to be in Boston with him too?

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#3re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:27am

Damn, damn, damn the gods for making me have a performance on this night! re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

yellibean2
#4re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/19/08 at 11:19am

I'll be there! SO PSYCHED.

And Kate Baldwin will be joining him.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/19/08 at 11:41am

At Northeastern, this Friday night, cost $22.

I just got a tix.

Thanks for the info!!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#6re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/24/08 at 4:59pm

I'm counting down the hours!

Enjoy everyone!

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

dramamama611
#7re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/24/08 at 5:48pm

Leaving in about a half an hour... but can't wait!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#8re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/24/08 at 5:49pm

What on earth? A thread that's not about show closings? I hardly feel this is acceptable.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#9re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/25/08 at 10:31am

It was wonderful. He got a standing ovation when he walked on stage. Kate sang(and looked!)like an angel. The audience questions were about writing and composing, etc. and not, like, "What do you think about the cast for Roundabout Night Music?" He looked very well although he talked about aging and slowing down. He said his career was a "pleasure" but not a "calling". A lot more people wanted to ask questions, but they stopped at 10. A very special, memorable evening.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

yellibean2
#10re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/25/08 at 11:17am

It was a truly fantastic night. Besides obviously being a genius, he's a very insightful and fascinating person and I was almost surprised at just how modest he was. As mentioned, Kate Baldwin was amazing.

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#11re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/25/08 at 11:27am

Indeed, did you notice how often he'd say something and then say; "That's not exactly the right word" or something like that? Like he's constantly improving the lyrics!

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#12re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/25/08 at 11:50am

Did he talk about the "Uh" song?

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#13re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:01pm

And he said "Assassins" was the play he'd least want to change.

dramamama611
#14re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:12pm

It was a delightful evening, indeed.

But a few annoyance points (none about Mr. Sondheim)

Couple in front of us: BOTH constantly checking their cell phones...HE never turned his off and was texting. She had hers on close to 80% of the time. WHY did you come to this event if you didn't care about what it was???

Those with "questions": Anyone else notice how most of the questions were really statements bout how clever the person was WAY more than it was about Mr. Sondheim? Drives me nuts.

Stephen Sondheim was incredibly good natured, eloquent and intelligent. NOt to shabby for a man that is near 80 with a show opening in NYC!

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#15re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/28/08 at 12:24pm

Wow, I didn't realize how lucky I was, everyone around me was on the edge of their seats paying rapt attention. That would have made me crazy, hard to believe they didn't know any better. It was sold out and I know people who would have loved to be there, and would have kept their phones off (as requested, BTW!!).
Yes, questions were a little bit annoying, but then again a little bit dear. Nothing funny like I was tempted to ask, like, "I'm going to see Saturday Night at Brandeis tomorrow, want to come with?" Can you even imagine those theater students if they saw him in the audience??!!

broadwayjules
#16re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/28/08 at 12:48pm

Any other information on this? He's in my hometown and I was out of the country, ugh. What did Kate sing? What else did he talk about?

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#17re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/28/08 at 12:51pm

Is this something he's doing around the country? I'd love to see this if it comes to the Mid-Atlantic area (which I define pretty broadly as anything that's no more than a three-hour trip on Amtrak from DC).

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#18re: Sondheim, Boston October 24th.
Posted: 10/28/08 at 1:08pm

You can google it, there's a couple of newspaper articles. My favorite was "Miller's Son", also "Another Hundred People" and "What More Do I Need?". Wait, I loved them all!

Videos