Nine - First look!

#50re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/7/08 at 11:37pm

"Well, this certainly isn't going to change the minds of those who think Rob Marshall is all style, no substance.

"

Wasn't that one reason Tommy Tune was so perfect for the original? re: Nine - First look!

Plum
#51re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/8/08 at 12:13am

We'd be in a sad state if we counted on the Daily Mail for accuracy. Or for anything, really. So I wouldn't take the "costume designer" thing too seriously.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#52re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/8/08 at 12:57am

Looking at those stills of Lewis and Cruz, Marshall is definitely going back to the visual look of 8 1/2. I had a feeling he would.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#53re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/8/08 at 5:09am

I personally love the idea of Nicole Kidman as Claudia. She's always looked so... otherworldly to me. And I mean that in the most positive way. She's just so striking. And I mean if Claudia is supposed to be Guido's beautiful muse, it just works to me. The whole group looks fantastic though. I'm extremely excited and hopeful thats its gonna be great.

"...and in a bed."

kissmeimirish
#54re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/8/08 at 9:23am

at first glance i thought judi dench was diana rigg :) thrilled to see sophia loren. imo, the most beautiful woman on that set.

kissmeimirish
#55re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/8/08 at 9:23am

at first glance i thought judi dench was diana rigg :) thrilled to see sophia loren. imo, the most beautiful woman on that set.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#56re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/8/08 at 9:54am

At first glance I thought Judi Dench was Diana Rigg. re: Nine - First look! Thrilled to see Sophia Loren. IMO, the most beautiful woman on that set.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#57re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/8/08 at 6:56pm

Not sure if it was mentioned, but did anyone else notice that Fergie's hoo-hah is covered in the full hi-res pict, but not in the original pict that started the thread?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#58re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/9/08 at 12:36am

I think the full hi-rez photo does it much better justice. It helps a lot to actually see the full composition, as designed... with the other girls reclining in pools of blue light, etc. Very nice and effective.

Also it helps to see Daniel Day-Lewis... sitting with the vintage motion picture camera equipment. And I love the hard-wood floor of the sound stage.

It still looks "stagy" to me, but at least now I know why!

And I like it much better than I did initially looking at the cropped close-up shot.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

#59re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 4:38am

"Looking at those stills of Lewis and Cruz, Marshall is definitely going back to the visual look of 8 1/2. I had a feeling he would. "

I suppose yeah, though it also looks like typical Marshall--well Chicago AND Geisha in terms of the lighting or something. I'm not complaining--I think that look is perfect for this material, but...

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#60re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 8:09am

"Kidman is just not right for this musical."

So, I assume you got a sneak peek of the film to make this judgment, no?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#61re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 9:00am

Personally, I'm glad to see Nicole in that group of ladies. If it were Zeta-Jones or some other dark-haired lady, I think it would make the overall look kinda uniform and dull.

This looks more like a "mixed salad" in Guido's mind. I like it.

And Eric---MB was talking about those other stills of Cruz and Day-Lewis at the train station. (Unless you think those look like Chicago, but I gathered you were referring to this main publicity shot with all the theatrical lighting.)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#62re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 9:09am

I like Nicole Kidman (used to love her before her face got weird and she started making awful movies), but I just don't think she has the ideal qualities for Claudia. Having said that, I think she actually looks pretty good in that shot and is slowly convincing me that she is a good fit.
Penelope Cruz' performance is the one I'm really looking forward to, after making so many ridiculously bad films, Cruz has turned in an amount of impressive work as of late. Hopefully Marshall will be able to get another brilliant performance out of her much like Almodovar and Woody Allen did.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#63re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 10:40am

Ugh IMDB says there's a character of Guido's Father which I think really would detract from the whole show. Although, IMDB isn't the most reliable source.

I think Kidman could be really great but I do fear they'll have to lower "Unusual Way" many octaves and I love the original soprano sound. I also think Cruz is good casting, but like Banderas, anyone know why/if Jane Krakowski wasn't approached?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#64re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 10:43am

Krakowski is a wonderful yet very underrated actress. Carla is arguably the juiciest role in the piece, so I'm sure Marshall was intent on giving it to an A-list movie star and not a TV/stage actress whose most notable films are THE FLINSTONES 2 and DANCE WITH ME.
I would have loved seeing Krakowski tackle the role in the film though, but oh well.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BrodyFosse123
#65re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 10:56am

Ugh IMDB says there's a character of Guido's Father which I think really would detract from the whole show. Although, IMDB isn't the most reliable source.

You ARE aware that this is a movie musical and most likely the character will only appear in a montage or flashback of sorts. IMDB does list the entire cast and crew -- even the non-speaking roles and actors that may appear for 4 seconds.

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#66re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 11:09am

I just liked that in the stage show we don't see any men except Guido and Young Guido, and I think that's transferable to film.

BrodyFosse123
#67re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 11:25am

In all fairness... an adaptation is exactly that: an adaptation. This is Rob Marshall's interpretation and he could keep to the tone of the original stage version (as he did with CHICAGO) or expand upon it a bit.

Remember... the original stage version of STEEL MAGNOLIAS takes place entirely in a hair salon and we NEVER see anything (no wedding, no men, nothing). The characters talk about the events. When Herbert Ross adapted it for the big screen, he fleshed out what the women spoke about in the play so we SAW the men they spoke about; we SAW the wedding they spoke about, etc.

This is why I fully support (and love) when someone adapts a book, play, whatever. Its a new set of eyes reinterpreting the same project.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#68re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 11:30am

I just looked at IMDb.com and I don't see "Guido's Father" as a character.

I see "Father."

That could also be a priest at St. Sebastian.

And I agree that, regardless of the presence of men, the movie will stay focused on Guido and the women throughout his life.

But if they were all walking around in Italy with no other men on the planet, even in the background, this might look more like a Twilight Zone episode.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#69re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 11:47am

(Anyone know the answer to my question about Loren and the original "Nine" number? Yeston has written Loren a song, but I wonder if she'll still do the title tune, too. Even if half spoken, it could be beautiful..)

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

BrodyFosse123
#70re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/10/08 at 12:10pm

Sophia Loren SINGS and has done so in countless movies and recordings. I even have a Greatest Hits CD of her recordings.

re: Nine - First look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBdd19Ij1Wg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HICwiQPii74

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
#71re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/21/08 at 6:47pm

don't know if any one has seen this. A new article and photo from Kate Hudson's new number in the film. Cinema Italiano.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1088115/Kate-Hudson-struts-catwalk-boots-dancing.html

Updated On: 11/21/08 at 06:47 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#72re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 11/21/08 at 8:59pm

That's pretty fantastic.

Very Sweet Charity (by way of Fellini's own work)!

Kate is totally channeling her mother here... in the best possible way!

EDIT: Those spike heels are incredible.

Updated On: 11/21/08 at 08:59 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#73re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:07pm

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#74re: Nine - First look!
Posted: 1/26/09 at 10:23pm

its a shame we have to wait until december to see this.. it looks stunning!