The Current State of SPAMALOT

wonkit
#1The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/12/08 at 8:44pm

I am going to the matinee tomorrow. Is this production really tired, or do I have anything to actually look forward to?

jbrunes
#2re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/12/08 at 10:01pm

Sadly, the show is in sloppy shape. The majority of the ensemble is marking or goofing off. So sad when she's get to this point.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/12/08 at 10:24pm

Merle Dandridge is a BRILLIANT Lady of the Lake. Absolutely stunning performance, worth the price of admission. I saw her first performance and was blown away. I can only imagine how much better she's gotten.

wonkit
#3re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/12/08 at 10:46pm

Thanks for the input. I'm not expecting Shakespeare but it seems like it should have some good moments.

Mikers Profile Photo
Mikers
#4re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/13/08 at 12:50am

Be prepared to laugh for hours.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#5re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/13/08 at 6:09am

Glad to hear that about Merle. For me, the lady can do no wrong.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

wonkit
#6re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/13/08 at 8:24pm

The SPAMALOT matinee today was fun - exactly what I expected of Monty Python type humor. Michael Siberry and Clay Aiken were very good but I would have to say that Merle Dandridge (could the woman be any more beautiful?) and Tom Deckman (as Historian, Not Dead Fred, French Guard, Minstrel and especially as Prince Herbert) were stealing their respective scenes. The "chosen" audience member didn't seem either surprised or pleased so that fell a little flat. The ensemble didn't seem to be phoning it in, but maybe with the closing in sight they are feeling grateful to be working! Thanks again to those who replied.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/13/08 at 8:30pm

Glad you enjoyed it. The show definitely had its moments- I enjoyed it, but never loved it. Merle, however, is friggin amazing.

Are the Sarah Palin jokes still in it? The last time I saw it (Merle's first night) they had a couple of them, one of which was hilarious, two of which feel flat.

wonkit
#8re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/13/08 at 8:49pm

No Palin jokes, but now there is SPOILER ALERT

a reference by the Knight Who Says Ni to buying an Illinois Senate seat.

Ole Chum
#9re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/13/08 at 9:06pm

Im not actually going to see the show again just to hear Merle's rendition of Divas Lament and Find Your Grail.

but i have been considering it. dying to hear her take!

jellybean928
#10re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:28am

Tom Deckman is amazing! He totally steals the show for me.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#11re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:46am

Goofing around by the company is part of the direction of this show!
I saw the London production on Tuesday last week and with a few weeks to go till closing it is in great shape and as tight now as it was 18 months ago.
Arthur's understudy was on and was absolutely superb. The Swedish reality TV winner as the Lady Of The Lake was off too and we were treated to a brilliant performance by an understudy with a voice to die for. Eric Idle saw the show two weeks ago and was over the moon with it. At least in London its going out on a high.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#12re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:20pm

Merle is a goddess. ESPECIALLY in this role.

::bust a move::

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#13re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:52pm

I saw it a week or so ago and loved it!

enjoy!!

AbbyNormal13 Profile Photo
AbbyNormal13
#14re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:06pm

I just saw it again today and thought it was great!
Updated On: 12/14/08 at 09:06 PM

musicaltheatherluvr
#15re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/17/08 at 7:57pm

Tom Deckman is fantastic as is Rick Holmes. I saw the show earlier this year when Hannah Waddingham was LOL and thought she was much better than Merle. I think Merle has a great voice, saw her on 11-5, but it seemed like she never "finished" her scenes, something was missing on the acting side for me.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#16re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/17/08 at 8:36pm

Does anyone know who is taking over the role of Sir Robin, among others after Clay AIken leaves? I'm curious who I'm going to see at the final performance.

Mikers Profile Photo
Mikers
#17re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/17/08 at 10:42pm

More than likely, since it will only be for a week, you'll see the understudy playing Robin. The other leads look to be staying till the end.

My_Candle Profile Photo
My_Candle
#18re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/17/08 at 10:43pm

I read somewhere that Martin Moran is going to play Sir Robin after Clay leaves.

HollyDiver
#19re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:26am

I saw Spamalot last night (Sunday)..... and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I did feel the production was a bit tired. Rick Holmes is great, yes, but as a whole I thought something was just a bit missing. It was my third time seeing the show, so I thought maybe it was the 'surprise' aspect of the jokes that was lost on me since I knew what was coming.

I'd rather be reckless than rockless.

wonkit
#20re: The Current State of SPAMALOT
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:44am

HollyDiver - I think you are right about the "surprise" aspect. One of the people with me at the performance had seen the show before, and left at intermission.