pixeltracker

Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans

Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans

Actor 7
#1Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 4:43pm

Outstanding choice for Roundabout to mount the first revival on Broadway since the 1960 original production of BYE BYE BIRDIE. Roundabout will do a first class job and I hope they will use Bob Ginzler's original orchestrations and not updated revised ones.
In 2004, the City Center Encore production used these Ginzler orchestrations thanks to the hard work of Jonathan Tunick, who searched Tams- Witmark archives in order to restore the Ginzler originals. They were big and beautiful and everyone praised Encore for doing this. Can't wait to see this. It will be a big crowd pleaser and may prove very lucrative for Roundabout.

Ed_Mottershead
#2re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 4:47pm

Goody gumdrops. This is the most exciting news I've heard since I learned that Ernest Borgnine was going to marry Ethel Meman.

BroadwayEd

PiraguaGuy2
#2re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 4:47pm

Yes. Bye Bye Birdie will be a great show. Praise to comrade Strouse for such a rich, full score. Praise to the producers who will put on such a great production. Roundabout is all-knowing. Do not question Roundabout.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#3re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 4:49pm

I really hope it'll be good. I love Birdie, and there are some really fabulous roles in that show-- I particularly hope someone fantastic plays Harry McAfee! On the other hand... Roundabout is not known for having consistently great shows.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Ed_Mottershead
#4re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 4:57pm

"Not known for having consistently great shows" -- ???? Oh, come now, the Roundabout has done UNBELIEVEABLE things to American musicals. You're forgetting their masterful jobs on Little Me, Threepenny Opera (granted, not American), Boys from Syracuse, One Hundred Ten in the Shade (which everyone was just DYING to see), Follies (one of their masterstrokes), and their latest butcher job, Pal Joey. How could you possibly suspect that they might not perform miracles for Bye, Bye Birdie? Tsk, tsk.

BroadwayEd

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:07pm

I wouldn't expect to hear the original Ginzler orchestrations. I imagine you'll be hearing a Jonathan Tunick reduction for something like 15 instruments.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:22pm

I will trust Tunick's reduction. Wasn't Ginzler his mentor?

Let's just hope to god they add the title song (from both movies). I'll take it as the opener, or during the soda shop like the movie remake did.

LaRue Profile Photo
LaRue
#7re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:27pm

I think Eric McKormack and Harvey Fierstien would be ideal for Albert and Mr. McAfee. ANy chance of getting them?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:29pm

I'm wondering if they'll add all of the songs from the recent tour. It seems to be Roundabout's want to tweak with the song selection and book. I think Birdie is pretty perfect on its own. Though they could have better casting options for Mae if they put her song in (though I prefer her Bring Back Birdie solo).

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans

I'm wondering if they'll add all of the songs from the recent tour. It seems to be Roundabout's want to tweak with the song selection and book. I think Birdie is pretty perfect on its own. Though they could have better casting options for Mae if they put her song in (though I prefer her Bring Back Birdie solo).

PiraguaGuy2
#10re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans

Harvey wouldn't take that small a part.

LaRue Profile Photo
LaRue
#11re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:35pm

There are no small parts and that one would be a good chance for him to show a side of him we don't get to see very often. A straight father who loves his "kids" even if they drive him crazy.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:36pm

Mr. McAfee is a choice part with two fantastic numbers and a chance to steal the show.

Dollypop
#13re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:36pm

Eic McCormack for Albert, Harvey Feirstein for Harry. How about Mary Louise Wilson for Mae?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Ed_Mottershead
#14re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:40pm

How about Jackie Hoffman for Mae?

BroadwayEd

LaRue Profile Photo
LaRue
#15re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 5:41pm

Or Andrea Martin or Cloris Leachman for May.

BNN
#16re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:00pm

I kind of want Will Ferrell as Harry McAfee.

Tick Tock

Josh Freilich
#17re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:02pm

I will trust Tunick's reduction. Wasn't Ginzler his mentor?

So will I. He always does great reductions, as well as original orchestrations.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#18re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:12pm

Richard Kind would be fabulous as Harry. One of the 12 Billy Elliots as Randolph. Alexandra Socha would be a cute kim. Or Allie Trimm. Debra Monk would be a scream as Mae. Especially if they added in that new song from the 1990s film. Andrea Burns as Rose anyone?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#19re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:16pm

Bill Irwin was apparently Mr. McAfee in the last workshop. Fabulous casting.

PiraguaGuy2
#20re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:17pm

Allie's too young for Kim. The girl's actually 13. Come on. That would be statutory rape during the ice house scene, unless Trent Kowalik is Conrad Birdie.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#21re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:19pm

The Kim in the workshop was a newcomer. I just hope they get someone with a legit musical theatre voice (and not a pop belt).

EDIT: The workshop Kim's name is Meredith Hagner.
Updated On: 1/25/09 at 06:19 PM

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#22re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:19pm

omg she looks 16! Wow then definately one of the girls from spring awakening. Maybe even the blonde Anna replacement. I think her name was Emily.

Josh Freilich
#23re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:20pm

I heard my friend Remy Zaken did readings for that show.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#24re: Bye Bye Birdie is definite in 2009-10 Roundabout plans
Posted: 1/25/09 at 6:25pm

wasnt she ursula? or an ensemble girl? does she dance well enough? I love BBB. It would exciting to have a revival like that back.