Question re Irena's Vow

danceallnight Profile Photo
danceallnight
#1Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/21/09 at 11:32am

This play sounds powerful and amazing. Would it be appropriate material for 16 year olds or would it be too disturbing? I'd love to get the opinion of those who have seen it. I am organizing a group to see it and do not know if I need to make it an adult-only event. Thanks.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/21/09 at 12:04pm

I'd say go for it. It's a wonderful history lesson that doesn't feel like a history lesson at all. Kids and adults should all see it, it's a great show.

madscientist
#2re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/21/09 at 4:46pm

I think it should be fine. I agree, it's an excellent play and would be educational.

bwayfascination
#3re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/21/09 at 7:24pm

It is totally appropriate for a 16 year old. The book that tells her story, called "In my hands" is recommended for high school/junior high kids. Also, it's not giving anything away to point out that the main character (Irena Gut Opdyke) told her story to high school students around the country - in fact, the play opens with one of these lectures.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#4re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/21/09 at 7:28pm

Exactly. Actually the whole play is essentially in the context of a lactuer. The things from the past are done as if flashbacks.

DEFINITELY appropriate.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

April Saul
#5re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/21/09 at 8:24pm

Hey, I have another question about Irena's Vow...if I don't get to this show during previews, will I be missing out on a lot because the Q and A's with her daughter will be gone? I want to see it, just don't know if I do it that quickly!

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/21/09 at 8:42pm

Regarding teens, it is totally appropriate. I took my thriteen year-old to it, and she loved it.

My understanding is that the Q&A will only be done through previews. It adds a value to the experience that is difficult to express. I found it almost as compelling as the show itself.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Updated On: 3/22/09 at 08:42 PM

April Saul
#7re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/22/09 at 9:21am

Hi Brian--
Thanks for the insight, I decided I should go today after all!

April Saul
#8re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/22/09 at 8:50pm

Just reporting back that you all were right, I went today, found it wonderful and was glad to catch a performance with the after-show Q and A. It DID add an extra dimension, and by the way, the student rush seats in the first row weren't even all taken...

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#9re: Question re Irena's Vow
Posted: 3/25/09 at 9:13pm

Here's an additional question, one about the post-show Q&A:

Have they been doing it after the matinees as well, or just the evening performances?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Videos