What would YOU do?

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#1What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 11:19am

Another one of these....

Planning a trip to NYC in July.

a. What would you see if you had the choice of 2 shows?

b. What would you buy in advance vs. last min discount tickets?

c. Would you wait until closer to July to see what is still around, and/or do you know of any new shows that are planning to drop around that time?

Thanks so much! :)

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#2re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 11:24am

I would buy tickets to Hair and WSS now. They for sure will be there but you do need to buy tickets now instead of waiting.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 11:27am

well, what shows are you planning on seeing? if you're planning on seeing shows that're consistently selling out (I believe someone posted a list in your TKTS thread, but it's usually shows like Wicked, Jersey Boys, Billy Elliot and now West Side Story), I would buy them in advance. you don't need to jump on tickets right now, but definitely in advance.

for anything else, Playbill has all the rush and lotto information on their website, and the TDF site has a list of shows that were on the TKTS board the previous week. I'd keep an eye on that, to gauge what you're chances of scoring a discounted ticket are
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v

hope this helped!

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 11:29am

If I had to pick two shows? Wow, hard to narrow it down to just two. But I'd say 9 to 5 and Marvelous Wonderettes.

I think 9 to 5 is going to be a "hot ticket" this summer. It's too early to know what discounts will be like and they haven't announced a rush policy that I've seen.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#4re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 11:36am

If I personally had to pick 2 shows to see I would choose 9 to 5 and Shrek, because they look like the sort of show I would enjoy the most.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#5re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:01pm

It depends what you like.
What have you seen in the past?
What is your favorite musical?

The codes for July are not out yet so unless there is something you REALLY have to see or you need to sit in a particular spot- I would wait a bit to purchase tickets.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#6re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:23pm

I'd book in advance for Billy Elliot and The Norman Conquests.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#7re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:27pm

I agree .. .Norman Conquests and Billy Elliot, or Hair. Don't waste your time or money on 9 to 5 ... its really really lame.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#8re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:30pm

I booked for Hair already. I'm also definitely planning on Fuerzabruta and In the Heights (haven't seen it yet) through TKTS.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#9re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 3:19pm

I booked for Hair already. I'm also definitely planning on Fuerzabruta and In the Heights (haven't seen it yet) through TKTS.

Heights is sometimes hard to get tickets. It is rarely on TKTS.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:03pm

Hmmm...good to know. I was hoping by this time, it might be easier to get. We're on a limited budget this year, so we can't afford full price to everything. We'll probably just have to wait and take our chances. Thanks for the heads-up!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#11re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:07pm

I also would try and get In the Heights beforehand. I did today for June, but with a discount from facebook, and ended up with awesome seats.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#12re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:27pm

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice!

Since I'm not going til July, I guess most of the discount codes (if any...hopefully there will be some!) won't be available for shows around that time for a bit...I guess I'll keep checking around every now and then!

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

brandontwin2 Profile Photo
brandontwin2
#13re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:40pm

shpants I love your icon

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#14re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:45pm

thanks brandontwin!!

AndAllThatJazz22
#15re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:55pm

In the Heights and Hair would be what I'd see. As an alternate, I'd say Billy Elliot.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#16re: What would YOU do?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 7:55pm

I'm putting together my summer trip right now (just bought the third show a few hours ago). So far, I purchased in this order: 9 to 5, Hair, and Next to Normal. Now I want to see something off-Broadway to balance it all out.

Videos