What should I rush tonight?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 11:55am

I never really ask opinions of you guys as to what show to see but I'm thinking of rushing either BLITHE SPIRIT, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, MARY STUART, or EXIT THE KING tonight and was curious as to what everyone would recommend.

I was contemplating NORMAN but I think I'm going to go to the marathon next Saturday.

Out of those four shows, which would be the most likely to have rush seats left, say an hour or so before the performance? And which on that list should I run and go see? Any ideas?

Thanks guys What should I rush tonight?

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#2re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 12:39pm

Loved Exit the King. It's really good and well worth the trip. I don't know if they'll have any rush seats one hour to curtain but it's worth the try. It's a great show. Geoffrey Rush is terrific.

Blithe Spirit will probably have rush one hour to curtain and it's fun. Mary Stuart will too I think and I enjoyed it as well.

Of those three I'd say go to Exit the King first then Blithe Spirit then Mary Stuart.

Have fun!

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 12:46pm

I haven't seen EXIT THE KING yet, but I'm dying to. So my vote is for that.

But BLITHE SPIRIT is hysterical. So I second what bwaygal1 said.

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#3re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 1:21pm

I would be surprised if they didn't all still have Rush tickets available an hour before, but I think you'd especially have luck with MARY STUART and DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, considering both were less than 50% full when I saw them.

In terms of recommendations:

EXIT THE KING -- fantastic and challenging, with an amazing lead performance

MARY STUART -- fantastic and straightforward, with two amazing leading performances

DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS -- good performances, classic play, fantastic set design, interesting direction

BLITHE SPIRIT -- four good actors having fun in a by-the-book production of a stale, creaky, dated play. I honestly don't understand people who think it's more than mildly chuckle-inducing

I'd say you can't go wrong with either of the first two -- both are productions you'd truly regret missing -- though EXIT THE KING is the most 'must-see' in my opinion.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#4re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 2:38pm

Absolutely LOVED Exit the King. Would definitely recommend it.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#5re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 3:30pm

What kind of audience interaction is there at EXIT, just so I'm prepared if I decide to rush it? I heard Rush interacts with the audience; or is that totally wrong?

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#6re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 3:33pm

It depends. I believe they sell the front row seats in the morning when the box office opens, which results in having Rush right in front of you reaching out into the audience, and a few other small things. He also does come out into the audience, but he doesn't sit on anybody's lap or anything.

More rush seats go on sale 2 hours before the performance. I rushed last night and was given one of the boxes, so there was no interaction.

biggest CHENO fan Profile Photo
biggest CHENO fan
#7re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 3:34pm

Delta Nu.

Sorry, lame joke.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#8re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 3:38pm

HA! I giggled.

How is the view from the box seats?

Maybe I'll rush something else then if I'm probably going to get the box seats.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#9re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 3:44pm

I don't think it would be that problematic for this show to sit in the box, wicked. Rush interacts minimally with the audience; he comes down and talks to them and walks through the orchestra. And most of the action takes place center stage so it's very easy to see. It's so good I'd really recommend it. (I'm going back once more before it closes. It's amazing.) Who knows? They may give you something other than box seats. Just give it a try and see what happens.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

rwlevin Profile Photo
rwlevin
#10re: What should I rush tonight?
Posted: 4/17/09 at 3:46pm

Box seats are good. I think, not sure, that you get the seats that overlook the balcony and not the ones closer to the curtain exit. I rushed a few weeks ago at around noon/1 and got two box seat tickets and both my friend and I had the overlooking tickets and nobody sat next to us. There is minute obstruction when actors enter and exit but since most of the action is in the center stage it's not really an issue.

I swear I never realized that Geoffrey Rush was such a physical actor before I saw that show and his second act dance number is worth the admission price. I think those few minutes alone will earn him his Tony.

Waiting for tickets to Hair August 2008