News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Little Women The Musical Love thread!

Little Women The Musical Love thread!

gypsy4
#1Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 6:39pm

I for get how wonderful this musical is. the shows songs cheer me up every time.

practically_perfect Profile Photo
practically_perfect
#2re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 6:40pm

I love this show....astonishing is one of my all time favorite songs :)

gypsy4
#2re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 6:43pm

It's the best act one closer. I almost get tears my eyes when I hear Somethings are meant to be.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#3re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 7:54pm

This show is one of my guilty pleasures :)
While I realize that the show is dreadfully flawed, most of the music is fun and I love listening to Maureen McGovern on the cast recording.

(And Something's Are Meant to Be is a great song too!)

TheatreFreak05
#4re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 8:16pm

The beautiful sets for Little Women:

(Designed by Derek McLane)

re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Updated On: 4/17/09 at 08:16 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 8:31pm

The tour blew my mind. I went in not expecting very much with the short run on Broadway, but I loved every second of it. I don't agree about the flaws. I thought the book was very strong and the score is exceptional. The sets and costumes were also breathtaking as displayed in the pictures. The attic scenes were particulalrly breathtaking with the lighting effects creating the illusion of the sun shining through the breaks in the wood. I came out feeling a million times better about the American musical. I understand that it's not for everyone, but I loved it. It deserved better.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#6re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 8:58pm

I agree with TheatreFreak. The show both book and score-wise definitely has some problems but the moments that do work, especially in the score, are achingly beautiful. I most came away wanting to hear more from composer Jason Howland. What a promising talent!

There it is, I think the best word for Little Women as a whole: promising. The show really is something special.

"...and in a bed."

TheatreFreak05
#7re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 9:16pm

I think it could have been a lot better if a new writer came in rewrote the book scenes.

But I agree that it was such a promising show. Plus, Maureen McGovern's songs practically made up for any flaws. What a voice!

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#8re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 9:24pm

This is one musical that left me bored.

nicholscreek Profile Photo
nicholscreek
#9re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 10:17pm

I agree with TheatreFreak about the guilty pleasure. I have listened to my copy of the cast recording more than I ever thought I would! It really is a great score.

You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even more, and cover your ears and go 'bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla! - Phillip J. Fry

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/17/09 at 11:02pm

I didn't care for the book (of the show; I've never read Alcott's story) or the pacing, but I loved the tour cast and a great deal of the score is gorgeous.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TheatreFreak05
#11re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 12:18am

On a side note, I saw Autumn Hulbert as Beth in the tour production. When I watched Legally Blonde: The Search for Elle Woods I didn't even recognize her.

LizzieCurry
#12re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 12:33am

I recognized her right away and shrieked (well, after my roommate recognized her first).

lightinthepizza2
#13re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 3:59am

ASTONISHIIIIIIIING!!!!

lightinthepizza2
#14re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 3:59am

ASTONISHIIIIIIIING!!!!

Janelle188
#15re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 5:38am

I saw the tour as well and I have to say, I've never heard a voice quite like Maureen McGovern's live. She has so much emotion and power. She was truly spectacular. Also, I thought it was cute that the understudy for Jo that I saw perform, was married to the guy who played Professor Bahr. It was special.

I actually took my mom, not a huge theatre fan, to see it, cause I thought it'd be a fun mother-daughter trip. She actually really liked it and asked me to get her the CD. She would listen to it in the car all the time and my nephew, who was 2 at the time, loved the song Massachusetts. He would bounce his legs and sing along. He also liked I'd Be Delighted.

Sidenote: My mom also saw Jersey Boys and had that CD and my nephew always had to point out when Frankie's wife says the f-word. My mom soon learned to turn it down right at that point each time.

gypsy4
#16re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 12:27pm

When I saw the national tour it was there last performance I wasn't expecting but it truly nothing but magic for me. the cast delivered a powerful and heart warming performance and when maureen sang "Days of Plenty" she rocked the house. that night we had Jo's understudy on and she just Belted out astonishing it about gave me goose bumps but ever since then the show has been one of my favorites.

TheatreFreak05
#17re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 2:20pm

I also saw the understudy who was married to the actor who played Professor Bahr. She was great!

LizzieCurry
#18re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 2:27pm

They have names -- Susan Spencer and Andrew Varela.

Updated On: 4/18/09 at 02:27 PM

gypsy4
#19re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 5:38pm

It was susan spencer she really became the character and she was just perfect.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#20re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 6:34pm

Count me among the fans of this show. I love the recording and the national tour. I'm hoping to mount a production of the show where I teach next spring.

TheatreFreak05
#21re: Little Women The Musical Love thread!
Posted: 4/18/09 at 8:00pm

Sorry, I didn't have the program in front of me at the moment.

Videos