pixeltracker

How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?- Page 4

How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?

LegallyBroadway2
#75re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/2/19 at 11:22pm

Act II sinking

https://youtu.be/ecrtiArkBQg

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#76re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/19 at 7:46pm

There is some great footage of the effects and set in this Reviewer’s Reel from the ‘97 Broadway original, and this EPK from the 2001 Dutch replica production.

Titanic OBC - Reviewer’s Reel

Footage from Titanic, Amsterdam (replica production)

Updated On: 8/3/19 at 07:46 PM

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#77re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/4/19 at 12:00am

They spent too much money on the production and couldn't recoup even after 2 years.

ghostlight2
#78re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/4/19 at 12:22am

"At the very first preview, that little boat made a return appearance at the finale in case anyone needed to visualize what happened, I suppose. The audience reaction was not the one expected and the little boat was cut from the final scene. In that period, I tended to go to a lot of 1st previews. There were 2 that night and I had an invite to go to Steel Pier, across the street. So I missed the little boat sinking. It is one of my two greatest early preview regrets (the other being not seeing the goat when there was still a stuffed goat when the wife comes in with it)."

If I read your post correctly, HogansHero, I am about to add to the pain you felt upon missing the end of Titanic. In early previews, the show ended with  Cerveris, who had played ship-builder Andrews, returning as Robert Ballard, who had discovered Titanic's wreckage, holding a model of his submarine Alvin. It was a major wtf moment, and you missed that, I am so, so sorry. You can read about in in this Playbill article, though you'll have to scroll a bit.

"Found a picture. Pretty sure this was the actual Broadway set back in the day. I saw it and the lounge space is very familar. If it's not the set, it's still the same concept: "

Definitely not the Bway set, ScarlettLeigh, but it looks better in some ways. The Broadway set had three levels.

"My favorite story I have heard about the Broadway Production happened when the crow's nest is lowered from the sky and David Elder would sing "No Moon. No Wind". 
Well, one night the crew realized the nest was not going to work and they sent Elder down four flights which he made just in time to hit the stage and sing. 
But when the lights found him, they also found out that because the crow's nest was waist high, he wasn't wearing any pants under his pea coat."

I am happy to report that this is absolutely true. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#79re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/4/19 at 12:47am

ukpuppetboy said: “There is some great footage of the effects and set in this Reviewer’s Reel from the ‘97 Broadway original, and thisEPK from the 2001 Dutch replica production.”

That Dutch production doesn’t appear to have been a replica production. It seems to have the same costumes in some instances and the same design concept but the actual scenery looks far more detailed than it was on Broadway.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#80re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/19 at 10:08am

Tsao5 said: "act 1 in the German production I saw ended with a black curtain/scrim with stars coming down during the final strains of the music..the music swelling with the sounds of ice ripping a hole in the ship under it. It was a nice effect, and from what I remember much better than a toy ship being pulled across the stage.

The sinking itself was similar BUT at least in the German production, there were some actors who jumped from the ship during the chaos. You could see them climbing up on the back railing, with others trying to stop them...and then jumping off (kinda like when Raoul jumps into the lake in Phantom). It looked cool.
"

I've always wondered why there is no water splash sound effect in Phantom, when Raoul jumps into the lake. I think it would make that moment much more effective.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#81re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/19 at 10:14am

It didn't. It just tilted and the next scene it was gone

Poster Emeritus

Jarethan
#82re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/19 at 10:18am

i think the reason it was not as successful as was anticipated was b cause you were never made to care about any of the characters as individuals. The score is very good, and the first 15 minutes are magical. It remains too much an ensemble show. I remember at the curtain call the last three people taking their call and I had to be reminded who one of them was.

This is one of the shows I was most disappointed with ever, because I did love the music going in. It just didn’t engage me emotionally, which a show titled Titanic should have done. It needed a central character (or couple) to really care about.

that said, I didn’t dislike it...but it was ‘just okay’.

Updated On: 8/5/19 at 10:18 AM

AEA AGMA SM
#83re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/19 at 3:27pm

Lot666 said: "I've always wondered why there is no water splash sound effect in Phantom, when Raoul jumps into the lake. I think it would make that moment much more effective."

Do you want people to laugh there? Because a fake splash sound is how you make people laugh. Look at the Les Mis film. Is it realistic that there would be a thud when he lands after jumping? Of course. Did people laugh at the sound when it happened in the film? You better believe they did.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#84re: How did the Titanic sink on Broadway?
Posted: 8/6/19 at 9:50am

AEA AGMA SM said: "Lot666 said: "I've always wondered why there is no water splash sound effect in Phantom, when Raoul jumps into the lake. I think it would make that moment much more effective."

Do you want people to laugh there? Because a fake splash sound is how you make people laugh. Look at the Les Mis film. Is it realistic that there would be a thud when he lands after jumping? Of course. Did people laugh at the sound when it happened in the film? You better believe they did.
"

No, I do not want people to laugh there, nor do I agree with you that an appropriate sound effect what have that effect. Following your argument, the sound of gunshots should also make people laugh.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage