pixeltracker

Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!

Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#1Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/3/09 at 8:27am

Article

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert
Updated On: 5/3/09 at 08:27 AM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#2re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/3/09 at 10:28am

Happy 50th Birthday Fantasticks!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Dollypop
#2re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/3/09 at 11:12am

Happy Birthday to one of my favorite musicals!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#3re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/3/09 at 11:53am

Happy Birthday to a show that has charmed audiences nearly continuously off-Broadway for longer than most of us have been here!

But...

If it opened May 3, 1960 isn't today it's 49th birthday?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#4re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/3/09 at 1:55pm

Whoops. Thats embarrassing.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

tgn915 Profile Photo
tgn915
#5re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/3/09 at 7:05pm

Anyone else attending tomorrow's 50th anniversary show + "after party concert?"

Call me Travis. :)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/3/09 at 9:00pm

I will be attending the 50th birthday show of The Fantasticks. Next year when it is actually the 50th birthday of the show.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#7re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/4/09 at 8:34am

Happy Bday!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

The Fantasticks Profile Photo
The Fantasticks
#8re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/4/09 at 2:19pm

Thank you, everyone, for the anniversary wishes! The Fantasticks could never have become what it has without the support of our loyal audiences who through the years have made the nightly journey from the show's memorable opening chords to its final, famous tableau for over 18,000 performances in NYC alone. So to each and every one of you who has seen us uptown, downtown or out of town -- and to the countless others who've done our show, from the tiniest high school to the ritziest regional theater -- thank you. You are loved. As for the question "Isn't this your 49th anniversary?" -- you're correct! We've chosen to celebrate the kick-off of our 50th year with events involving the audience, show alumni and the theater industry. Yesterday, Fantasticks cast members from the 60s to the present celebrated (in the rain!) by singing Try To Remember on the TKTS Red Steps, and tonight our entire audience for the 7PM performance is invited to an afterparty celebrating 50 years of Off Broadway magic with performances by Orfeh, Aaron Lazar, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Jill Paice, GrooveLily and original "Luisa" Rita Gardner. (There are still tickets left; get 'em by calling the box office at 212-921-7862 or by visiting Ticketmaster.com) Again, thanks for the anniversary wishes, Broadway Worlders! Keep chatting, keep being passionate about theater, and we'll keep the music going.

~ The Fantasticks

siny
#9re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/4/09 at 2:52pm

How come there was no press coverage ? I would like to see some photos.

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#10re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/4/09 at 3:19pm

Oh - I wish I were in NY! I absolutely LOVE this production. The story is so charming and classic that I believe it will live forever.

Meow!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#11re: Happy 50th Birthday to The Fantasticks!
Posted: 5/4/09 at 9:08pm

That's great! And why not celebrate the whole year? You can always have another event next May 3. The show will still be running then!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Videos