pixeltracker

Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced

Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 12:59pm

Yes! LaChanze!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:01pm

So thrilled for LaChanze...love her. Don't know much of the remainder of the cast though...

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:04pm

Well, Dawnn Lewis used to be on the sitcom A Different World which was a spinoff of The Cosby Show. And Asmeret Ghebremichael was in Legally Blonde.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:07pm

Darlesia Cearcy, who was Nettie for most of the run of THE COLOR PURPLE, is also in the cast.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

LadyDramaturg2
#5re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:07pm

Orlando Jones is a really talented guy! Good for him -- Love to see a video of this.

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#6re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:09pm

Love the casting of all the Witches. Tichina Arnold was great on Martin and Little Shop of Horrors. Dawnn Lewis was ok (if slightly miscast) in Sister Act the musical in Pasadena. Hoping they do a live recording to capture the entire score.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#7re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:11pm

i've never seen A Different World, but yes, I do remember Asmeret Ghebremichael from LB. She replaced DeQuina Moore.

Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced

I hope it gets great reviews with the exception of Ashanti, who is replaced by Anika Noni Rose when they transfer to Broadway.

-Kad

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#9re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann

Tichina Arnold was absolutely brilliant on the sitcom Everybody Hates Chris. She's a fierce comedic presence with the perfect persona for a role like Evillene and, from what I remember, displayed a strong voice in the film version of Little Shop of Horrors.

I saw Dawnn Lewis as Deloris in the Atlanta production of SISTER ACT. While she didn't have the star quality to carry a show like that on her own, she's extremely talented. I'm sure she'll work wonders with "He's The Wizard."

It's funny that Thomas Kail chose to populate the principle cast with mostly inexperienced television actors, but I'm curious to see what the final result will be. Many of these performers have a lot of potential based on their previous work.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/7/09 at 01:11 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#10re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:14pm

This casting doesn't have me jumping up and down except for LaChanze.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RyToast1
#11re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:15pm

...the 7UP guy?!?! Really?!

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#12re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:15pm

Somethingwicked - If you watch the Little Shop of Horrors film from the 80s, you will see Tichina Arnold singing (she's one of the "urchens"). She's quite good and you're right she was great on Everybody Hates Chris.

Yankeefan007
#13re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:17pm

I'd respond with "yeah, he chose the cast," as a cheeky poke at Encores! Summer Stars, which, like last year, chose to populate their shows with strange TV stars.

Then I thought...are any of these people really that well known? This isn't stunt casting. It's not like putting Jack McFarland in DAMN YANKEES. Ashanti is talented, LaChanze is talented, Orlando Jones is absolutely hilarious.

This isn't a star-studded cast.

Gene Kelly Jr.
#14re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:17pm

Do you think this video might have been the inspiration in casting Tichina?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUm5ovtSZOU
Updated On: 5/7/09 at 01:17 PM

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#15re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:22pm

re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann

Yup...Orlando Jones, aka the 7 UP guy.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#16re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:26pm

Gee, an Encores show without Debra Monk and Karen Ziemba?

And yet another show without one major star. No one in the sticks knows who the heck is LaChanze.

How about Diana Ross to be the Good Witch? :)

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

husk_charmer
#17re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:28pm

And looks like I will not be seeing the Wiz. All of them are totally disappointing choices to me.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

hubee Profile Photo
hubee
#18re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:34pm

Ha, actually, NOW I'm excited. La Chanze AND Tichina Arnold. Arnold is HILARIOUS. And I really like Orlando so that should be interesting.

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#19re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:38pm

Orlando Jones being the 7-Up guy was the first thing I thought of when I saw this article. Should be interesting. I'm still looking forward to seeing this.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#20re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:41pm

Big thumbs up for LaChanze.

Jon
#21re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 1:56pm

I hate to tell some of you theatre snobs, but Orlando Jones, Tichina Arnold and Dawnn Lewis are better known to 99% of America than LaChanze.

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 01:56 PM

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#22re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 2:02pm

I'm not sure why we're focusing on who in Idaho, for exmaple, has heard of whom.

husk_charmer
#23re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 2:47pm

Well, to be fair, I guess this ends the argument of "Are Jane Krakowski and Sean Hayes stars?"

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#24re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 2:54pm

Yay for Christian White! His first (Semi)Broadway gig.

Videos