Off Broadway?

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#1Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 8:59pm

So, I was looking at a list of current off Broadway shows and I realized that besides the two that I've seen (Altar Boyz and Rooms) I haven't really heard much about any of them.

Seeing shows like In the Heights and Next to Normal off Broadway made me realize that some of them can be really, really, incredible and that I shouldn't put them last on my priority list, however, I have no idea which would be worth investing in.

Any suggestions would be amazing (plus brief descriptions or the type of crowd you think it appeals to if you have the time would be beneficial to everyone, I think)

Thanks

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#2re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 9:50pm

I saw Marvelouse Wonderettes when I was in town. I am 21 and I loved it but I noticed the crowd was a bit older. Its cute, not ground breaking but was a fun night at the theatre.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

enroutetothesky Profile Photo
enroutetothesky
#2re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 9:58pm

Off-Broadway is amazing! They're smaller, more intimate venues and the pieces are more generally "out there".

I've seen Altar Boyz and The Marvelous Wonderettes and I saw Saved! when it was playing.

I'm really curious to see The Toxic Avenger and Happiness.

Sorry this post wasn't more useful.
Updated On: 5/10/09 at 09:58 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:02pm

Fuerzabruta is a fabulous piece of performance art. I would say teens through middle age would love it.

I'm dying to see Toxic Avenger as well.

Always great to take a risk.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#4re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:03pm

See RUINED. The best new play of the year. See it, see it, see it.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#5re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:26pm

See Everyday Rapture before it closes at the end of the month. And Wonderettes of course.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:30pm

MARVELOUS WONDERETTES was hands down one of the most excruciating jukebox experiences I have ever had in a theatre.

Just DREADFUL!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#7re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:33pm

Almost every jukebox experience is like that, Foster.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:34pm

I enjoyed JERSEY BOYS and XANADU very much.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#9re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:36pm

Xanadu could be considered half a jukebox though, right?

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:38pm

I suppose. My point is that shows like JERSEY BOYS and XANADU have a worthwhile book stringing the songs together. Hell, even MAMMA MIA has a decent story stringing all of those Abba songs together. The book for WONDERETTES is practically non-existent.

-Kad

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#11re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 10:39pm

The Marvelous Wonderettes was excellent...I loved it. I would also recommmend Happiness.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12re: Off Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:01pm

I love it when people "discover" off-Broadway!

I've seen STUFF HAPPENS, EURYDICE, FORBIDDEN BROADWAY, DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE, SAVED!, NEXT TO NORMAL, and maybe another one or two I can't remember. Not really a long list, but it will grow once I move to the city.

The simple difference between Broadway and off-Broadway, other than the house count, is that Broadway shows tend to me more commercial (drawing big names, recognizable titles, etc.). The quality of theatre is the same: a crapshoot.

I would have LOVED to have seen shows in both their off-Broadway and Broadway productions. NEXT TO NORMAL will be the first this has happened, for me. But I would have LOVED to have seen the off-Broadway productions of RENT, URINETOWN, AVENUE Q, GREY GARDENS, SPRING AWAKENING, IN THE HEIGHTS, etc.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Videos