pixeltracker

RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?

RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
PiraguaGuy2
#2re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:45am

Didn't we find out this kid worked in a strip club? He wasn't serving drinks, either.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:54am

I'd have to think that anyone who "starred" on anything on Nickelodeon is probably going to read as too young for Birdie.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#3re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:56am

he better not be Birdie...

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#4re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 11:11am

The rumor on ATC last week was that Chris Carmack (best known for The O.C. on television) was cast as Birdie.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Yankeefan007
#5re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 11:16am

Carmack, who also played Mr. Sloane in Roundabout's tumultuous revival of ENTERTAINING MR. SLOANE a few years ago. Judging by how closely they're sticking to Roundabout alum for this production (Stamos, Gershon, Irwin, etc.), that wouldn't shock me.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 11:17am

And yes... whoever plays Conrad Birdie will be sporting a black wig. Birdie is satirically based on Elvis Presley, so the visual and physical comparisons are fully intentional.

Chris Carmack:
re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?

Nolan Gerard Funk:

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#7re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 12:02pm

That Funk guy looks more like a Hugo to me.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#8re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 12:22pm

I'll have to go back and we watch the episode of Smallville he was on. IMDB lists him as being born in 1986 so he is 23 or will be turning 23 at some point this year. Elvis was 24 when he was inducted into the Army. And they were all "we're going to cast people who are the actual ages. So, they could have cast him as Birdie. But I absolutely feel he's more of a Hugo. But, would they cast him in a non-singing role? Or have they added the "One Boy" duet from the film?

He could easily pass for a teenager. Unless they cast someone who looks about 12 to play Kim I think Nolan looks WAY too young to play Birdie. But that's just my opinion.

I kinda feel for all the kids who went to the open call only to have them "stunt cast" with this kid. I don't know who he is though I have to imagine a lot of tweens do.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

thevolleyballer
#9re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 12:27pm

Let us not forget that he played "Captured X-Kid" in the second X-Men film.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#10re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 12:28pm

The very first EPA notice listed the roles of Albert, Mae, and Hugo as cast.

Matt Doyle (who did the workshop as Hugo) has been telling people he had to turn down 'bare' in San Francisco this fall because he had a New York project that conflicted with it, which leads me to believe he's doing BYE BYE BIRDIE.

At the auditions, however, people were apparently being called back for that role, and since most of the kids actually seem to be being cast age appropriately, I'm starting to think Doyle would be too old to stay involved.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

jake6970
#11re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 12:30pm

Has anyone heard anything else about the Bare production?

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#12re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 12:35pm

Are there any sources on Funk outside of Perez Hilton? Was it something he overheard at Fidel Castro's funeral?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#13re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 12:42pm

Not that I can find. Idid find an article on globeandmail.com saying he's being considered for the Footloose remake. I'm not going to link it because you have to buy the whole article. But this is what is available to read for free:

Nolan Gerard Funk. Now that's the kind of name that gets you noticed, which is useful when you're a young Canadian actor looking for work in Los Angeles. Especially when you've been called "the next Zac Efron" and you're being considered for the remake of Footloose.

And if this picture is any indication he's way to dweeby for Conrad.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#14re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 1:39pm

I really hope Roundabout does not mess this revival up.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: RIALTO CHATTER: Is Nolan Gerard Funk 'BIRDIE' Bound for Roundabout?
Posted: 5/18/09 at 1:45pm

Carmack seems perfect. Not this kid!