pixeltracker

PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...

PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...

AndAllThatJazz22
#1PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:17pm

...because this video sure makes it look that way

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#2re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:19pm

No and no. This was NYU's production that took place in an insane asylum.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
AndAllThatJazz22
#3re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:20pm

Why the f*ck would you put Hair in an insane asylum?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#4re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:21pm

...um...ew?

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

PiraguaGuy2
#5re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:34pm

I think it's cool.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#6re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:42pm

When I first saw that "I got life" I thought, Ew. But it's actually kinda intestesting. And that arrangement of "Age of Aquarius" is actually quite good.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

AndAllThatJazz22
#7re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:43pm

This looks like a poorly directed production with an interesting new concept, with a few moments that actually land.

PiraguaGuy2
#8re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:47pm

...Says the idiot who's seen all of two numbers.

AndAllThatJazz22
#9re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:49pm

I've seen 6 of the videos, and I only liked 2. Read carefully, I said 'SEEMS', not 'IS'.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#10re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:51pm

I hated that Aquarius video.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#11re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 6:51pm

Having actually seen the production, I can say that it struck me as a somewhat pretentious attempt at an update that effectively demonstrated that the show didn't need one, but it did have a few extremely resonant moments.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

AntonEgo
#12re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:26pm

scott, I'd like to hear more about this production. How did all the songs fit into the idea of taking place in an insane asylum? Did it still take place in 1968?

BobRandomGuyMan Profile Photo
BobRandomGuyMan
#13re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:54pm

It didn't specifically take place inside an insane asylum. There was some convoluted explanation of the set and why they were bald in the program, but insane asylum it wasn't. You must be getting this one confused with the production of South Pacific that Anne Bogart directed at NYU that took place in a veteran's hospital! (Which was way more successful than Hair, FYI.)

As far as the show goes, not a lot landed, but it looked cool and there were some great arrangements of the songs.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#14re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 9:05pm

This is heinous.

They've stripped away everything the show is about for the sake of being "edgy."

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

PiraguaGuy2
#15re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 9:08pm

Yeah. Because the minimalist, monocolored, zombieish, edgy production of "Sweeney" that took place in an insane asylum was SUCH a disaster.

Nobody in this thread except for scott and Bob even SAW the show. You're judging by a couple of YouTube videos. STFU.

Updated On: 5/31/09 at 09:08 PM

BobRandomGuyMan Profile Photo
BobRandomGuyMan
#16re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 9:10pm

Dude, I saw it. It was my senior year. And it was insane. Especially the part where everyone took communion off of Alex Brightman's naked body.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#17re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 5/31/09 at 10:47pm

Yeah, I'm not sure where the insane asylum thing came in. The conceit of the production was that in our times, a shaved head is more subversive than long hair, so the entire cast shaved their heads, male and female alike. The set and (if I remember correctly, although it was threeish years ago) the costumes were all white, with lots of colored light effects. The nudity was much more played up than in your average production, I believe in more than one scene.

All in all, I don't think the specific ideas or changes they enacted really added up to much more than doing the show a bit more... traditionally, if you can use that word to describe Hair, would have done. That said, I can still remember how powerfully the show ended, with the curtain closing right over the cast still extremely angrily singing.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#18re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 6/1/09 at 12:09am

i hate the video of I Got Life but i love the Aquarius one. wish i could have seen this.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#19re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 6/1/09 at 1:00pm

No, no, no ... the song that takes place in the bathroom is "I got the Hershey Squirts."

#20re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 6/1/09 at 2:19pm

"Yeah. Because the minimalist, monocolored, zombieish, edgy production of "Sweeney" that took place in an insane asylum was SUCH a disaster."

AMEN! I am glad to hear someone admit it finally. God.

holdyourbatboy
#21re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
Posted: 6/1/09 at 3:07pm

Alex Brightman naked what?

Videos