pixeltracker

RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!- Page 5

RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#100re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 2:39pm

Smaxie, does that mean they have nailed down a house?

I had been hearing pretty recently that they were either going to start previews in October and open in November or start previews in January and open in February depending on what house they could find.

If something has been solidified, I would guess the booked a theater?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Fosse76
#101re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 4:03pm

"I predict that this revival of "Ragtime" will go into the Broadhurst."

Your prediction is wrong. Hamlet is going into the Broadhurst.

somethingwicked
#102re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 5:02pm

In full disclosure, it should be noted that The Neil Simon was the theater the producers of RAGTIME were said to be looking at when the serious rumors of a transfer began to resurface about a month ago.

It's looking like that may indeed be the plan.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#103re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 5:06pm

So, the Neil Simon then for a limited run.

What is going into the Nederlander?

And when are we reviving "Hello Dolly" with Bernadette Peters? Updated On: 6/12/09 at 05:06 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#104re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 5:10pm

Is this definitely a limited run?

somethingwicked
#105re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 5:11pm

I've seen nothing anywhere about it being a limited run. With a production of this cost, they're going to need a commercial engagement to recoup the initial investment.

I wouldn't go assuming LOVE NEVER DIES has a hold on The Simon. When it was postponed, any claim it had to a theater most likely went out the window.

If RAGTIME books the house and is able to sustain a run, LOVE NEVER DIES is going to have to go somewhere else.

Updated On: 6/12/09 at 05:11 PM

somethingwicked
#106re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/13/09 at 11:45am

Another potentially perfect suggestion for Sarah? Renee Goldsberry.

SharpCookies
#107re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/13/09 at 12:49pm

Looks like I'll be going to New York around August. <3 I'vw wanted to see Ragtime for awhile now, so this is very exciting and I just HOPE I can go on the New York City trip I'm planning.

Oldschool
#108re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/13/09 at 1:15pm

I suspect that the producers are waiting for the final fallout of the shows that are closing as a result of the Tonys, at which point they'll see what is available and make their bids accordingly. As for casting, there are rumors that Noll, Steggert, and Darrington are a go. Given that the casting call is set for late June, I wouldn't expect this to go anywhere until the fall. As for production costs, this production shed quite a bit from the original production, with a cast compliment of 33 plus swings rather than the close to fifty for the original. That alone, along with putting it in a more appropriate house should shed a few pounds from the estimated budget and the time to recoup the investment. Nowhere have I seen or heard anything about a limited run. All things in time.

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#109re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/13/09 at 1:25pm

Another potentially perfect suggestion for Sarah? Renee Goldsberry.

Goldsberry would be capable enough and look stunning. However, I enjoy a Sarah with some grit (i.e. LaChanze, Jennlee Shallow), and Goldsberry seems too regal in that regard. I also don't think she has the pipes to wrap her voice around the score like the aforementioned ladies.

somethingwicked
#110re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/13/09 at 1:36pm

I think actually think Goldsberry's voice would be stunning with the score.

She doesn't get the opportunity often, but when she does get to sing more "legit" material, she often produces phenomenal results.

A perfect example is her rendition of "The Miller's Son," which was pretty remarkable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdZWl2dw9-0

Updated On: 6/13/09 at 01:36 PM

somethingwicked
#111re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:21am

bump

somethingwicked
#112re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:22am

double post

Updated On: 6/14/09 at 03:22 AM

brdwybound04
#113re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 7/1/09 at 2:09pm

YEAH!!!! finally!!!! Ragtime is opening on Broadway on November 15, with previews beginning October 23rd. Can't wait!!!
Ragtime Official Broadway Notice

Fosse76
#114re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 7/1/09 at 3:02pm

At the Neil Simon. Too bad no one said it was going to play there...oh wait!

arabella Profile Photo
arabella
#115re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 7/3/09 at 3:16pm

I saw this on it's last run. I can't wait to see it again!

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#116re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 12:50pm

I am absolutely thrilled that this show is coming back, it deserved a much longer run.

However, for as much as I adore it, I will reign myself in and say that I thought it was a wee bit anthem heavy. Then again I was always biased against Lion King anyway. But we won't start that great debate again, will we? (wink,wink)

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

snowskittle
#117re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 9:44pm

Yea!!! Yea!!! Yea!!!

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#118re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 10:41pm

So I'm assuming a limited run is out, as there is no mention of it in the article?

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#119re: RAGTIME headed to Broadway!!!
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:06am

Does anyone know when they'll be announcing the cast?

It's been almost a month since they announced the transfer so I was wondering how much of the casting has been finalized already.