News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"Best Musical" 2007 TONY Contenders- Page 5

"Best Musical" 2007 TONY Contenders

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#100re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 5:59pm

I never said it was "payback" that because AIDA didn't win that Mary Poppins should, I said I thought AIDA should have won( and have been nom.)..and that I think Mary Poppins has a good chance at winning compared to most of the shows..It's a family-friendly show that's very well known, not like Spring Awakening where they limit the age for their audiences...For Revival I think A Chorus Line is going to win

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#101re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 5:59pm

we're not talking about revival here. and it's already been stated that A Chorus Line and Les Mis aren't even contenders as they are Xerox musicals

MargoChanning
#102re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 6:06pm

ACL and Les Mis are both eligible and with only four slots for 5 shows (and considering how lackluster the Apple Tree revival is and how big a hit that ACL has been at the box office), I certainly wouldn't count out ACL for not only a nod, but a possible win vs. Company and 110 In the Shade.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#103re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 6:08pm

folkyboy someone mentioned what they thought should win revival..so I said A Chorus Line, and I only heard that Chorus Line could not win things like Best Costume Design and Lighting Design because they kept it the same, I never heard anything about it not being able to be nom. for Best Revival...
Updated On: 2/17/07 at 06:08 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#104re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 6:18pm

A Chorus Line is eligible for best revival. It is not eligible for choreography,costumes,direction, and the technical aspects of this show because it is the same as in the original run.The same goes for Les Miserables.

Julian2
#105re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 6:18pm

Back on topic. . .

"I never said it was "payback" that because AIDA didn't win that Mary Poppins should, I said I thought AIDA should have won( and have been nom.).."

Well, you listed it as number 3 why Mary Poppins should win, so you can see why we would be confused.

"and that I think Mary Poppins has a good chance at winning compared to most of the shows..It's a family-friendly show that's very well known, not like Spring Awakening where they limit the age for their audiences"

Family-friendly and well known does not equal good by any strech of the imagination. Just because something is better if not veiwed by 0-12 year olds (depending there-on by maturity) does not mean it won't get a nomination. The shows that the voters get to vote on are decided by a small panal of New Yorkers. After that its up to the voters to screw things up. And many reasons have been pointed out why its not likely the nominating committee will not give Mary Poppins a nomination. You are perfectly entitled to like MP and hope for its nomination. But your logic as to why your certain it will get one, is incredibly flawed.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 2/17/07 at 06:18 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#106re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 6:22pm

The subject matter of a musical doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with it getting a nomination. I think with the with many new musicals this season, the committee will be wise enough to not nominate Mary Poppins because of obvious reasons.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#107re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 7:05pm

" Family-friendly and well known does not equal good by any strech of the imagination." Except the fact that it is a good show..half the time critics bash on a show that everyone falls in love with and that show gets a long run (e.g. Beauty and The Beast) If I recall that show got many mixed reviews( Wicked did too) yet both shows are/was sold out all of the time because audiences loved it and now Beauty and The Beast is closing after a 13 year run..So just because critics don't think it's good doesn't mean that it's bad by any means.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#108re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 7:09pm

You couldn't even call Beauty's reviews mixed. They were pans.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#109re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 7:10pm

Exactly yet look at the run/crowds it got and the audiences loved it, they didn't care what the critics thought. Also it may not have won Best Musical, but it was nominated
Updated On: 2/17/07 at 07:10 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#110re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 8:22pm

FutureAladdin -- I wasn't directing my comment at you; I didn't address you, nor did I ever say you said it was "payback." I actually hadn't even read your post. I was replying generally to the idea that had been raised.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 2/17/07 at 08:22 PM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#111re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 8:37pm

Oh , I just thought because AIDA was brought up that it was directed towards me. I'm sorry

luvtheEmcee
#112re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 8:38pm

Nope, no worries. I just wanted to clear that up since you quoted me.

Julian2
#113re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 8:49pm

I didn't say family friendly and well known meant bad either. I was merely pointing out that you can't base Tony nominations (and/or the possibility thereof) on such merits. If you want to argue about the quality of different shows, we can do it on another thread. I WAS NOT reffering to its quality in that statement, simply that you cannot base its value on such merits. Well known and family friendly shows have the capability to suck hard just as much as the next kind of show. (Not refferring to MP or BatB, that's a different argument) I am talking about wether or not it will receive a nomination, and was merely attempting to point out you can't make such a estimate on such qualities.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#114re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 8:54pm

My point was that both MP and BATB both got slaughtered by critics yet audiences love both shows and both get good crowds..and BATB got nom. even with bad reviews so I am certainly hoping MP does too

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#115re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:03pm

BATB got a nom. in a very scarce year. If the year was more crowded (as this one is), it wouldn't have gotten a nom.

And the reasons BATB and Wicked have run so long and done so well is because they are well know by the public. BATB has the Disney name, and that's why it sells so well.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#116re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:07pm

Lizzya9...once again you have farted around the fact that you hate SA...maybe you should see it before you judge...blah blah good night at the theater...just stop!!!!!! I am so sick of your comments. B & B is closing BOO HOO...Mary Poppins won't ne nominated...so please stop with the SA topics...just becuase it is not Supercalifradulistic--blah blah does not mean it is a piece of crap.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Julian2
#117re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:16pm

"My point was that both MP and BATB both got slaughtered by critics yet audiences love both shows and both get good crowds..and BATB got nom. even with bad reviews so I am certainly hoping MP does too"

And my point is that we're not discussing wether or not these show are popular, good, or make money, but what shows are going to get a nomination for Best Musical this season.

Updated On: 2/17/07 at 09:16 PM

luvtheEmcee
#118re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:18pm

She doesn't "hate" it, she's made the executive decision that SA is inappropriate for all people who aren't adults. She has deemeed it too crass and vulgar and deviant. And, I mean, she would know because she's a fourteen-year-old girl.

Lizzya9
#119re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:28pm

woa woa woa can't a girl just make a comment? forget about the past, that is so ridiculous to bring that stuff up. What I said before doesn't matter now, I am just commenting on the topic. I don't hate SA, I haven't seen it so I can't judge. I'm just saying that just because Rosie loves a show doesn't mean it is good with the Tony judges. Seriously, leave past posts behind, they are over and done with. Maybe I was just in a bad mood those days. and remember I'm just a teenager w/ hormones & mood swings, so don't take anything I say to heart. And just because I'm 14 doesn't make me absolutely clueless either, becoz_I_knew_you21 is also 14 and you seem to recieve her comments just fine. I really really hope Mary Poppins gets nominated, as well as SA. so please stop judging me and move on = )

luvtheEmcee
#120re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:36pm

Just because Rosie loved it doesn't make it a good show? Valid. But didn't Rosie also love Mary Poppins? So guess what? That doesn't make IT a good show, either. Doesn't Rose also love like, everything? And Rosie isn't the only person who loved Spring Awakening -- many critics did, as well. Seriously, I'm hardly a big fan of Spring Awakening, but get a clue. It got a more-than decent critical response, and you're making claims that completely overlook that fact. You keep saying "just because it has lots of talk show appearances or just because Rosie loved it or just because it has a big fanbase, it isn't good," but you conveniently ignore the critical response; is that because you think it's infallible and you're in denial that something offensive to your sense of purity (which you seem to think you should impose upon everyone) might actually be good theater?

And if the topic is the same, no honey, people are not going to just discard the past and neglect to bring it up. You're making the same asinine arguments, and begging the past to be remembered. No comment stands alone or is "just a comment."

Yank, as for what sells versus art, I wouldn't count SA out; sex sells.

Updated On: 2/17/07 at 09:36 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#121re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:37pm

Lizzy, my age has nothing to do with the comments you're making.
Updated On: 2/17/07 at 09:37 PM

Lizzya9
#122re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:44pm

please stop arguing - I never said SA WASN'T good because of that stuff, you are reading wayy too much into it. I was just commenting that the average theater-goer's or a critic's opinion may be different than a Tony judges, that's all. PLEASE get over the past. This isn't what this thread is about anyways, I made my comment about what I thought about the 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders and that's it. So, move on and don't take other peoples' comments so seriously. just post what you have to say and leave it behind.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#123re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:45pm

here we go again...

ThankstoPhantom
#124re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/17/07 at 9:45pm

We receive Becoz better because she's mature in her posts.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Videos