News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#25re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:00pm

Than why not move The Little Mermaid into the Richard Rodgers and leave BATB in The Lunt?

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#26re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:05pm

THE RICHARD ROGERS DIDN'T HAVE MUCH BACKSTAGE SPACE. Hence why almost everything that's played there had a stationary set.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#27re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:05pm

Because In The Heights is playing at the Rodgers. Which has already recouped, and I don't think Mermaid did.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#28re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:08pm

Ok maybe I'm wrong about that but you being nervous for 9 to 5 because they slipped a little bit is a little extreme since most shws have an off week once in a while. And for you saying that all I'm obsessed with Disney shows which is totally untrue. So i'm ending it here.

On another note, it's good to see people going out to see great plays as God of Carnage and Waiting for Godot had the highest two percentages of the week.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#29re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:15pm

This is 9 to 5's 3rd best week in terms of Gross. Don't really see any need to worry.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#30re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:21pm

I'm confused about the worry for 9 to 5 too. Despite a little dip in attendance and gross, it's still making over it's nut, right?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:27pm

I'm guessing next to normal's nut is lower than 400-500K. That seems high for a musical with a unit set and cast of 6.

Let's clear up some confusion...

Tarzan closed because it was no longer making money. Disney is not a charity organization, and when the show was no longer profitable, they closed it.

They're not going to move Mermaid. Moving a show involves huge expenses. The only reason they did it with Lion King and Beauty was because they were cash cows. LK is still a sell out show 11 years into its run, making over $1 million a week. Mermaid will be closed by the end of the year, when The Addams Family moves in, because it's definite that Addams Family has the Lunt at this point in time.

MrJNLong
#32re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:30pm

"... You can say that for many shows such as The Little Mermaid. It's doing better than ITH and it's still closing do to another show moving in... "

Um, are we positive LM is closing to let another show in? I find that hard to believe...has anything been confirmed on that front?...I mean, I sure wouldn't miss it, and would be glad if it goes, but really?

Also, someone said it was doing better than MP in percentages which is true, but the MP theatre is gigantic! MP is doing better in both grosses and tickets sold...more people are going to MP than LM...and MP is making more money for Disney...

Also, I don't understand why everyone's excited for Next to Normal...as far as seats sold, it was the lowest attended musical of the week besides Avenue Q. Plus, their gross went down...I love N2N, so that worries me...

defyingravity07
#33re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:32pm

The Addams Family is going to a Nederlander theatre & The Lunt is the only that fits the seating being sold for group sales.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#34re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:33pm

Um, are we positive LM is closing to let another show in? I find that hard to believe...has anything been confirmed on that front?...I mean, I sure wouldn't miss it, and would be glad if it goes, but really?

The Addams Family has a breakdown for their group sales out, and they're selling tickets in a Nederlander theater with a mezzanine that goes back as far as Row N. The only such theater that fits that description is the Lunt.

Also, I don't understand why everyone's excited for Next to Normal...as far as seats sold, it was the lowest attended musical of the week besides Avenue Q. Plus, their gross went down...I love N2N, so that worries me...

Next to Normal has the fewest seats to sell of any musical on Broadway. Of course it would be among the lowest in terms of tickets to sell. Also, their gross went UP, not down. Check the chart carefully.

Updated On: 6/22/09 at 05:33 PM

MrJNLong
#35re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:35pm

So are we saying that the Nederlanders are kcking LM out? Or are we assuming Disney has unofficially told them they aren't going to keep it going much past the summer? I also agree that the chances of moving LM are slim...

defyingravity07
#36re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:37pm

We don't know who initiated the move out yet, but it's certain that it's going somewhere.

MrJNLong
#37re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:40pm

"Next to Normal has the fewest seats to sell of any musical on Broadway. Of course it would be among the lowest in terms of tickets to sell."

True, but in my overly-logical brain, wouldn't that argument only hold if they were selling at 100%? Since they aren't even filling their small theatre, doesn't the fact that the theatre is small not even really matter that much?

"Also, their gross went UP, not down. Check the chart carefully."
And so it did...hehe...my bad...mixed up the columns...yay for N2N!

Oh, and I think I saw an Adam Greer in a Playbill of a show I saw recently...are you a fan?

defyingravity07
#38re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:43pm

His name isn't Adam Greer.

MrJNLong
#39re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:45pm

^^so I gathered from the signature...just wondeing if there was a story behind the screen name... re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#40re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:46pm

Congrats to 'In the Heights' and 'Next to Normal'. Its well deserved for 'Next to Normal'.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

Barney Stinson
#41re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:54pm

"True, but in my overly-logical brain, wouldn't that argument only hold if they were selling at 100%? Since they aren't even filling their small theatre, doesn't the fact that the theatre is small not even really matter that much?"

No, the argument still holds. First off, it is almost selling out. 95% doesn't mean that every show is exactly 95%. It means that it is selling 100% for some shows and not selling out others (weekdays). A bigger theater would mean it would sell more tickets to currently sold out show.

Plus, on a net income basis, an 800 seat show selling 95% is most likely doing better than a 1200 seat show selling at 75%. Cost are typcially much lower at a show like that.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#42re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 7:08pm

I'm so happy for Next to Normal. I always knew it was a great show but I didn't expect it to do so well.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#43re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 7:14pm

WOW Waiting For Godot! Excellent numbers.

BlueforBroadway Profile Photo
BlueforBroadway
#44re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 7:22pm

Congrats to ROA for going over 600K!!

Jekyll & Hyde back on Broadway! / Rock of Ages - 5 Tony nominations! Awesome!

Blueberry Pie2 Profile Photo
Blueberry Pie2
#45re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 8:02pm

I am so happy for Next to Normal!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#46re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 9:36pm

Suggesting that Tarzan closed for ITH to move in is nuts... did we forget that Cyrano played that theater in between those two shows?

And has God of Carange (969k) set the record for highest grossing week for a straight play? The Odd Couple did 962k the week ending 1/1/2006 and I can't think of a higher grossing week.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#47re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/22/09 at 9:56pm

People who think 9 to 5 is in trouble are foolish. $800,000 is a very good weekly gross for a show that was only nominated for 4 Tonys, didn't win any, and didn't perform on the telecast (excluding their 15 seconds in the opening number). People always forget to look at the grosses and not the attendance %. 9 to 5 is doing just fine, everyone.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#48re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/23/09 at 12:09am

This was just a fabulous week all around. Nobody had less than 50% capacity, a trend that I hope continues over the summer.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#49re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21
Posted: 6/23/09 at 12:10am

Frogs, if you count Billy Crystal's '700 Sundays' as a play, I think it grossed over a million on a few occasions.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Videos