News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 105

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2600Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 11:43am

The current Velma understudies are Mary Claire King and Christine Cornish Smith.  According to her IG, Bianca begins as Velma Kelly today on Tuesday, June 21st.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 6/21/22 at 11:43 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2601Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 12:18pm

Christine was Velma last night along with Celina as Mama. 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Poconopanther
#2602Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 12:22pm

WOW! Saw the show last night from the balcony and was blown away. Friends were in town from California and everything else was sold out or dark. Purchased cheap balcony tix as I saw the show a few years ago and was underwhelmed…now I wish I was in center orchestra. This cast (with great swings and understudies) was full of talent, emotion and energy. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2603Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 12:28pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "They can't put an understudy on for Velma? I don't get this show at all."

Of course they could. But they probably feel Bianca is a better Velma than the two ladies understudying right now, and putting a u/s on for a full week minimizes swing availability in case other people are out for illness or vacation or whatever. (Assuming J. Holliday also has Covid –– has she even played a performance yet?)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2604Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 5:08pm

J. London will be Mary Sunshine from June 30 - July 6.  R. Lowe is probably on his annual summer vacation. 

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2605Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:13pm

It more or less gives the producers a chance to extend Emma another week. I'm sure Bianca would have been okay holding off another week and the Velma covers might get to go on next week before Lana returns.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2606Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 4:28pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/broadways-tony-winning-chicago-revival-will-celebrate-milestone-performance?fbclid=IwAR1ZVcoLG5NIRcKsoN9f0uuww0uCFZuuTY5dHeYngQecxyxSaCTM3Dg3Ahw   This week, Chicago will play its 10, 000 th performance.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2607Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/23/22 at 10:46pm

https://www.facebook.com/541732952/videos/1488959751531012/    A video clip of "Chicago's" 10,000th performance.  I noticed that Celina Nightengale played Mama Morton tonight.  

BCfitasafiddle
#2608Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/23/22 at 10:51pm

Where is Jennifer Holliday??

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2609Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/24/22 at 8:20am

BCfitasafiddle said: "Where is Jennifer Holliday??"

Maybe she's out with COVID, too? Celina's been Mama since Sunday.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#2610Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/24/22 at 8:43am

Jennifer has spoken very openly about her mental health as well as her battle with MS. The latter is unpredictable from day to day. I know this was the reason for her modified choreo in The Color Purple a few years back. I’m surprised she agrees to any long contracts at this point. I think it’s a gift every time we get her on a stage. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2611Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/24/22 at 11:40am

Outside of some fanfare, were there any speeches last night? Didn't seem like Bebe was there or Fran and Barry W.

smidge2
#2612Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/25/22 at 11:55am

I received an email today from City Center celebrating the 10,000 performance. But it also stated “See Tony winner Jennifer Holliday before  her final performance on July 31.” I thought she was leaving on 9/11?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2613Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/25/22 at 12:39pm

smidge2 said: "I received an email today from City Center celebrating the 10,000 performance. But it also stated “See Tony winner Jennifer Holliday before her final performanceon July 31.” I thought she was leaving on 9/11?"

Nope.  On the original press release announcing her run it stated “through July 31.”

https://playbill.com/article/tony-winner-jennifer-holliday-returns-to-cast-of-broadways-chicago-june-9

smidge2
#2614Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/25/22 at 1:46pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "smidge2 said: "I received an email today from City Center celebrating the 10,000 performance. But it also stated “See Tony winner Jennifer Holliday before her final performanceon July 31.” I thought she was leaving on 9/11?"

Nope. On the original press release announcing her run it stated “through July 31.”

https://playbill.com/article/tony-winner-jennifer-holliday-returns-to-cast-of-broadways-chicago-june-9
"

Thank you Brody. I was looking at an earlier post in this thread.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2615Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/26/22 at 9:33am

So apparently Bianca has only gone on twice this week(as Velma). They brought back Dani Spieler to play June as Celina is still going on as Mama which makes it seem like Holliday may be out a while. Nili Bassman is back this week playing Hunyak as Christine Cornish Smith is on vacation. Mary Claire King has been Velma since Friday. All swings were on yesterday for both shows.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2616Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/27/22 at 12:27pm

Bianca was back yesterday (both shows). Emma plays Roxie tonight and tomorrow.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2617Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/27/22 at 5:06pm

There was a brielf mention today on Facebook (Chicago the Musical) about the return of Jennifer Holliday. 

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#2618Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/28/22 at 10:41am

Anyone have any insight on casting for August? 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2619Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/28/22 at 11:06am

Ftworthguy said: "Anyone have any insight on casting for August?"

Britney Spears - Roxie Hart

Yesenia Ayala - Velma Kelly

Jennifer Coolidge - Mama Morton

Eric McCormack - Billy Flynn

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2620Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/28/22 at 3:05pm

Emma Pittman is out tonight due to Covid (per her Instagram).  When does Lana Gordon return?   So, is it Bianca as Roxie tonight or someone else?  It's a confusing situation.  

Updated On: 6/28/22 at 03:05 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2621Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/28/22 at 3:16pm

Rachel Chase will be Roxie Hart tonight (per her Instagram).  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2622Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/30/22 at 11:37pm

Has Lana Gordon returned as Velma?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2623Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/7/22 at 3:33pm

Who might replace Bianca Marroquin, when her current run is over?  Desi Oakley is a possibility.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2624Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/17/22 at 6:02pm

Billy Flynn understudy, Jeff Gorti, is on as Billy today (July 17), Mon. July 18 and Tues. July 19th.  

Videos