News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Darren Criss in Hedwig

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#150Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 8:48am

With regard to the eyebrows, I remember seeing a pic at some point of the make up people flattening I think JCM's brows with a good, old fashioned Elmer's Glue Stick. 

Natcasss
#151Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 9:00am

"Can anyone who was there confirm that he did the carwash and the kiss with women? I don't know if it's a rule that those are usually done with men, but every other Hedwig I've seen has done those with a male audience member, and I'm kind of cringing at the idea of Criss making out with his female fanbase every night, especially since he's already said and done some things that make it seem like he has a fundamental misunderstanding of who Hedwig is."

He did kiss a woman the other night. Though, to be fair, the only man front row center was a Dad who didn't look particularly enthused about being there.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#152Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 10:46am

"I can’t recall from the NPH or AR shows I saw, but that bit was definitely not in the JCM Broadway run."

I think I was watching Michael in Hedwig the other day, and saw it there. My mistake, my apologies.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

busylizzie238 Profile Photo
busylizzie238
#153Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 11:08am

Oh wow I never thought of that, gosh the magic of makeup, can make even the bushiest of eyebrows disappear!

timisimaginary
#154Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 12:18pm

" He did kiss a woman the other night. Though, to be fair, the only man front row center was a Dad who didn't look particularly enthused about being there."

that's exactly the person JCM would have gone for. probably NPH too.

#155Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 12:33pm

Oh please. JCM kissed plenty of women during his run. And Darren is unapologetically and utterly queer in his self-presentation, the gayest straight man I've ever met.  He kissed a boy for six years on network television for f*ck's sake.

absolutbitter
#156Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 12:47pm

Are you aware how utterly and unapologetically stupid that sounds? MCH must also be "queer in his self-presentation" and "the gayest straight man" because as memory serves me, he has played quite a few gay roles and has kissed quite a few guys on screen. 

Darren Criss will play up to his largely female fanbase. I'm sure he'll kiss guys too, because he's an actor, not because of "queer self-presentation."

Updated On: 5/1/15 at 12:47 PM

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#157Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 12:48pm

All the privileges of homosexuality and none of the responsibility...

FindingNamo
#158Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 12:52pm

Guys, chill.  You all said you'd be cool today, so please.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#159Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 1:10pm

Much like David Bowie and James Franco, he is a culture tourist. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on your own personal politics.

#160Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 1:37pm

"Are you aware how utterly and unapologetically stupid that sounds? 

Yes, I said it to be stupid.  Is this a rhetorical question? 

unapologettically
#161Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:07pm

unapologetically and utterly queer in his self-presentation, the gayest straight man I've ever met.

Congratulations for leaving the most ignorant, offensive comment I've seen on this site yet. You've inspired me to even create an account. Unless Darren Criss is falling in love with and having sex with a man, there is nothing "utterly queer" about him. Painting your nails and growing up in San Francisco doesn't make you part of the gay community, not to mention, Darren works in about every interview how straight he is. So save the Tumblr rhetoric. The "gayest straight man" stuff is offensive when Darren says it, and it's offensive when you repeat it.

FindingNamo
#162Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:15pm

"You've inspired me to even create an account."

Uh-huh.

there is nothing "utterly queer" about him

You have a LOT of catching up to do on in the theory department.  Might I suggest Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's "The Epistemology of The Closet"?  Even Camille Paglia's "Sexual Personae" would help you out.

unapologettically
#163Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 2:22pm

""You've inspired me to even create an account."
Uh-huh.
there is nothing "utterly queer" about him
You have a LOT of catching up to do on in the theory department.  Might I suggest Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's "The Epistemology of The Closet"?  Even Camille Paglia's "Sexual Personae" would help you out."

No, and I'm just laughing at you. I suggest you go listen to Darren Criss and his own words when he says he's nothing but straight. Or do you think you know more about Darren than he knows about himself? When people - including Darren -  say the "gayest straight man," all they are talking about is the stereotypes that I mentioned above, oh, and let's add one, he likes musical theater! Might as well marry a man now!

Or are you trying to say that falling somewhere on the spectrum makes someone UTTERLY something? Then lmao. No.

But yay, continue to, as someone else said, give this straight man all the privileges of homosexuality and none of the responsibility.

Updated On: 5/1/15 at 02:22 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#164Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 3:10pm

" I suggest you go listen to Darren Criss and his own words when he says he's nothing but straight."

red flag right there.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#165Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 3:21pm

Homosexuals are queer, but queer does not equal homosexuality.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

FindingNamo
#166Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 3:25pm

Your reply reinforces my suggestion to you, brand new poster unapologetically.

absolutbitter
#167Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 3:45pm

"red flag right there."

Ah, the trite "if he doth protest too much"? Let's stop this before people utterly embarrass themselves. As if there aren't enough conspiracy-addled fantasies indulged by some of Mr. Criss's female fans who have cast him in a closeted love affair with a male costar just because their characters kissed on TV as the scripts required.

cascade
#168Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 3:55pm

"But yay, continue to, as someone else said, give this straight man all the privileges of homosexuality and none of the responsibility."

"Someone else" you mean a joke straight from Hedwig? Congrats on revealing yourself to not knowing the show...

unapologettically
#169Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 4:07pm

"Someone else" you mean a joke straight from Hedwig? Congrats on revealing yourself to not knowing the show...

...Darren Criss said it about himself years ago. Jesus. Understand the difference between fiction and reality. And also let's not act that Hedwig is without its problems. Or are you of the opinion you shouldn't criticize things just because you enjoy them? "Congrats."

lmao, nevermind, I just saw what you refered to. Please don't be so literal. It was a joke. So also "Congrats" to not getting that.

Updated On: 5/1/15 at 04:07 PM

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#170Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 4:07pm

I'm not Jane, but I thought she meant his constant assertion of heterosexuality to be a red flag of douchebaggery, not closeted gayness.

absolutbitter
#171Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 4:20pm

The context wasn't exactly leading me in that direction. I retract if that's what they rather meant. 

cascade
#172Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 4:25pm

""
lmao, nevermind, I just saw what you refered to. Please don't be so literal. It was a joke. So also "Congrats" to not getting that."

Oh so you were aware that poster was quoting the show then? Are you actually familiar with Hedwig or did you just create an account to air your general grievances against Darren Criss? Seems like the latter.

Updated On: 5/1/15 at 04:25 PM

hedheading
#173Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 4:27pm

The only reason Darren has had to say he's straight in a ton of interviews is because he played a gay teenager in Glee and so every single interviewer asked about his sexual orientation.

unapologettically
#174Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 5/1/15 at 4:34pm

"""
lmao, nevermind, I just saw what you refered to. Please don't be so literal. It was a joke. So also "Congrats" to not getting that."

Oh so you were aware that poster was quoting the show then? Are you actually familiar with Hedwig or did you just create an account to air your general grievances against Darren Criss? Seems like the latter."

I didn't air a grievance about Darren Criss, if you want to be sensitive about it, although I can talk about his relationship with the show since this is what the thread is about. My "grievance" is about giving straight people credit for things they aren't a part of and didn't do just because they are allies or take on queer roles. Now, yes, I do have a problem when Darren occasionally does it, but it mostly comes from outside people, which he can't control - but he also doesn't need to feed into it. It's an eye-rolling problem that extends beyond him, though. But sure, make everything about Darren if it makes you feel better.

If I wanted to make an account just to bash Darren, this is NOT the topic I would have chosen, so keep the conspiracy theories.

Oh, and cascade? "joined:4/30/15" Who do you think you're fooling?

Updated On: 5/1/15 at 04:34 PM

Videos