News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage- Page 2

Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#25Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/6/15 at 8:43pm

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Did he get on the stage while the play was going on? 

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#26Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/6/15 at 8:45pm

It reminds me of Look Back in Anger, when a woman was paid to go onstage and slap an actor in the face in the middle of a performance. It caused the play to sell out for weeks when it was in danger of closing.

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#27Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/6/15 at 8:57pm

I wonder if they made him leave. He was obviously sitting close and those seats aren't cheap...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/6/15 at 9:55pm

"This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Did he get on the stage while the play was going on? "

From the tweets in the PBOL article, it was before the show started. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/audience-member-tries-to-use-stage-outlet-to-charge-phone-at-hand-to-god-352658 

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

high_onbway
#29Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/6/15 at 10:01pm

I witnessed this last Thursday! The guy literally jumped on the stage right in front of me. The ushers noticed him jumping on the stage and they were flashing their flashlights on him while he was jumping on the stage.

Yes, this happened before the show started. He was sitting 5th or 6th row on the right side and the "outlet" was on the left side of the stage.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#30Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 2:29pm

I doubt HTG even cares at this point. The free press they are getting from this occurrence is unreal. Between this and OTT people are talking about Broadway for sure!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#31Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 4:01pm

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#32Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 4:27pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=1053372    Just curious,but is he from Florida?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

mattporter17
#33Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 5:00pm

This has been trending on Facebook for over a day. It's great press for the show, that is already succeeding despite apparent-low box office numbers

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 5:07pm

So the house lights were on and someone just happened to be filming. I'm calling bullsh*t on this PR stunt. 

LizzieCurry
#35Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 5:08pm

It was before the show. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#36Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 5:24pm

Right. It just reeks of a PR stunt. A good one, but still...

mattporter17
#37Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 5:27pm

Hey, it worked, this is getting some national attention especially since the video surfaced. One of the lead producers put out a statement saying that the show is doing very well financially, and will most likely recoup, so this might've been more of a media stunt.

That's an interesting theory. If so, it worked very well. 

Updated On: 7/7/15 at 05:27 PM

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#38Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 5:29pm

I agree, I think it was a publicity stunt. If not, a stupid guy who did on "Dare." Even a tourist who rarely goes to see a theatre knows that going up to a stage is no-no. Plus, would a normal tourist choose "this show", when there are many others to see with a discount? Congrats HTG, your PR strategy has been successful.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 6:23pm

I'm not saying it wasn't a publicity stunt (it very well could have been).  However, after speaking with a friend of mine who is an usher there, if it was in fact a stunt, they certainly didn't alert the house staff of the Booth Theater prior to it occurring. 

Updated On: 7/7/15 at 06:23 PM

LarryD2
#40Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 6:26pm

It wasn't a publicity stunt, but the reaction from the production highlights what this production has done well since day one: it has a fabulous marketing strategy. They're just using it to the best of their advantage and folding it into the tongue-in-cheek PR strategy they've used since the beginning.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#41Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 7:18pm

You have to be a special type of stupid to think that jumping on stage to charge your phone is ok

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#42Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 7:22pm

I mean, I don't care if it is, but I do believe this is a stunt. 

LizzieCurry
#43Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 9:22pm

"Right. It just reeks of a PR stunt. A good one, but still..."

If so, whoever's behind this campaign picked the right person to upload it to YouTube (and film it, if it's the same person). The rest of the videos don't seem to have any connection to a theatrical PR firm, and this person doesn't use the handle "garruba1" anywhere else.

BroadwayKiwi
#44Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 9:48pm

That stage-climber might just as well be named Adele Dazeem, for all the set up here.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#45Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/7/15 at 11:17pm

I thought this was fake but I have been persuaded that it was not.

However, the publicity has portrayed the perpetrator as a deluded cellphone addict. He was not. He did it on a dare from some equally assholish friends and/or family members.

Updated On: 7/7/15 at 11:17 PM

ArtMan
#46Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/8/15 at 12:09am

Patti LuPone FANatic, I don't get your reference/inquiry about Florida?  I could easily ask if he is from Texas?

ArtMan
#47Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/8/15 at 12:09am

Double post

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 12:09 AM

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#48Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:08pm

Hand To God's marketing team is genius & this was definitely a clever publicly stunt to boost sales or at least get more exposure to the public & its working

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

corthomas
#49Hand To God Audience Member Tries To Charge Phone Onstage
Posted: 7/8/15 at 9:47pm

I was also at this performance and it was definitely not a publicity stunt. I was sitting in front of the guy's seat who jumped on the stage. He was there with what I assume were his similarly aged brothers and mother. I'm assuming they were the ones who were filming him do it based on the camera angle. The ushers came over to their group after they yelled at him and asked him to leave. Their mother stood up and said "Please, please, he's my son don't make us leave." After she pleaded some more, the usher said, "If it happens again I'm calling the police." Then when the usher left, they all laughed. Based on the comments they made during the show their mother made them come to the theater that night and they thought it was hilarious that he got into trouble....

The whole thing made me feel crazy!

Fun fact...Julia Stiles was also in the audience that night. 

Videos