News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!- Page 2

Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 9:40am

I’m seeing Lea’s final performance tonight. It’ll be my first time seeing the show and the last show of my 9 show trip. I know on one of these threads some of us who will be there talked about saying hello tonight. Can’t find that thread now but did hear from one person. Anyway, message me or post here if interested! I plan to get there early to enjoy the pre-show. Anyone know if they open the doors earlier than 30 minutes prior? I’ll have about 90 minutes between end of The Iceman Cometh and beginning of OOTI.

AllThatJazz2
#26Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:38am

Miles2Go2 said: "I’m seeing Lea’s final performance tonight. It’ll be my first time seeing the show and the last show of my 9 show trip. I know on one of these threads some of us who will be there talked about saying hello tonight. Can’t find that thread now but did hear from one person. Anyway, message me or post here if interested! I plan to get there early to enjoy the pre-show. Anyone know if they open the doors earlier than 30 minutes prior? I’ll have about 90 minutes between end of The Iceman Cometh and beginning of OOTI. "

I’ll also be at tonight’s performance and would be happy to try to meet up beforehand if people were interested.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#27Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:50am

They let audience into the actual theatre 15 minutes before the show starts.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#28Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 12:02pm

I’m sitting in A240 but happy to meet in designated place. You can see what I’m wearing in The Boys in the Band thread on this page. You can’t miss me. Lol

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#29Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 12:02pm

I went last Sunday night. They let people in around 7:05 or 7:10 but none of the cast except for the little girl (who doesn’t interact with anyone) came out until around 7:25. The show didn’t start until around 7:40.

I don’t know if the cast normally comes out earlier but there were delays because it was Alysha and Grasan’s last show. But if that was the reason, that will probably happen tonight as well.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Olivia11
#30Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 1:48pm

I have this exact seat in Aug. will be curious what you think.

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#31Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:20pm

I love Darlesia Cearcy.  Of all Audra's replacements and understudies and tour Sarahs in Ragtime, I loved her the most, including LaChanze on Broadway and the vocally brilliant Lovena Fox in the last national tour.

I adore Audra and LaChanze but in this case I thought Darlesia was much more overall suited for Sarah than either for reasons I won't address.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#32Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 10:24pm

Will be there for my second time tomorrow, looking forward to seeing Darlesia in the role!! Courtnee Carter is on as Ti Moune as well. 

robskynyc
#33Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 11:04pm

HunterK said: "I just have to add that I have seen Darlesia twice as Erzulie (and once as Mama Euralie)and I thought back in December.."I truly hope she is the one to replace Lea when she leaves." I am so excited for her. Her interpretation of the character is very different and was nice to see 2 completely different versions. Lea is wonderful, but what a brilliant replacement they have selected!"

I've seen her twice as well, and TBH I prefer her to Lea.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#34Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/25/18 at 12:07am

Saw it tonight. I’ve been trying to write quick mini-reviews of all 8 shows (this was last one) of my trip.

In a nutshell, I was underwhelmed. Not sure why. Maybe it’s because I saw (and loved) The Iceman Cometh at the matinee. And it just felt so much more substantial. I just wasn’t particularly emotionally involved. No tears from me.

I did like it slightly more than My Fair Lady. I never would’ve guessed my favorite musical of this trip would be Spongebob.

My tentative rank ordering of my shows from this trip:

1. Angels in America
2. Three Tall Women
3. The Iceman Cometh
4. (Three-way Tie) Spongebob; The Boys in the Band; Skintight
7. OOTI
8. My Fair Lady

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#35Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/25/18 at 12:24am

Also, whoever is running their merchandise booth should be fired. Both pre- and post- show I tried to stand in line but with only one teller, the line basically never moved. I don’t recall having this issue when I saw Fun Home here. Just as well though since I’ve spent plenty of money on this trip and wasn’t sure I needed merchandise from a show I was underwhelmed by.

I will say it was nice to see Lea’s last performance in the show.

For whoever asked about my seat, I thought it was very good.

Olivia11
#36Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/25/18 at 11:16am

For whoever asked about my seat, I thought it was very good. "

That was me. Thanks!!

BWNUT
#37Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/25/18 at 5:35pm

Updated On: 6/25/18 at 05:35 PM

BWNUT
#38Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/25/18 at 5:43pm

JudyDenmark said: "I thought she was a great Erzulie, and I've always been a fan... but I remember reading an interview back in December that rubbed me the wrong way, and I was just reminded of it now. (https://www.broadway.com/buzz/190769/lea-salonga-on-returning-to-broadway-in-once-on-this-island-fan-interaction-etiquette-more/)

"“My husband asked, ‘Would the show be eligible for Tonys? Would you be eligible?’ I said, ‘Yeah, because it’s a Broadway revival.’ He said, ‘All right. Then you can go.’ If the hubby gives me a thumbs up, then it’s a good thing. He’s thoughtful. He’s not impulsive. It’s a decision that all of us as a family needs to make.”"

Does anyone know if she was kidding? I mean... surely whether or not you have the potential to win a Tony is not an actual reason to do a show. I thought that she must have been joking aroundin that statement, but this post-nominations announcement now has me wondering...
"

I think she meant it would be a quality Tony-worthy show so she and her hubby decided decided it's worth being away from her family for a long period of time. 

Videos