News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 54

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

SporkGoddess
#1325SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:06pm

Also, why is Karen's character singing "Broadway, Here I Come"? Doesn't she want to be a pop star?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#1326SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:08pm

Did anyone notice Kyle lovingly caress the stage manager(?) during Karen's performance in the theatre?

I missed that moment, but that was probably the lighting designer that was introduced last week as a love interest for Kyle (after Ana's lecture about letting go of what you can't have, i.e., Jimmy).

Also, why is Karen's character singing "Broadway, Here I Come"? Doesn't she want to be a pop star?

I had the same reaction. It's a good song (or it was when Jordan sang it), but it makes zero sense within the context of what we've been told about the plot of Hit List. Especially considering just last week, they were focused on this one number in which Jimmy chases her FROM New York TO L.A.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 4/3/13 at 01:08 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1327SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:09pm

So true, though that song annoyed me a little less with Karen singing it as opposed to Jimmy (who I wanted to shut up during his rendition).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#1328SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:18pm

Has any off-Bway show opened in February then open on Bway the same season? Even with great notice from Times.
I remember Hit List poster saying "Opening February 5th (?)"

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#1329SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:20pm

Well, I feel like this is an obvious answer after they have been comparing the shows all season, but...

RENT opened off-Broadway at the NYTW January 25, 1996, just one week earlier, and then opened on Broadway that April in time for the Tony nominations.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1330SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:31pm

As far as I can make out an understanding of the Hit List, Karen's character has "Broadway here I come" as her introductory I-want song. The Songwriter meets The Singer, an aspiring Broadway hopeful, and she steals his songs, runs off to the West Coast and becomes a pop sensation.

The Diva, who as far as I can tell is the animating force of popular music, narrates the story of their romantic and artistic struggle towards and against each other.

gcal
#1331SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:37pm

Tom's vision of "Hang the Moon" sure was ugly. One of the commentors on Vulture wrote that Bernadette looked like Eunice from Mama's Family.

Ham3
#1332SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:48pm

That's how she was supposed to look. She's in a dreary mental institution.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#1333SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:01pm

I'm a little stunned by the reaction to HANG THE MOON. I thought the song was gorgeous, and Peters' performance was magnificent. I also don't know how people didn't realize what the setting was about. It starts in the mental institution and becomes a fantasy sequence of her at the pier dancing...which she mentioned about 10 seconds before she started singing the song.

Ham3
#1334SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:04pm

^Word!

HandsomeLittleLiar Profile Photo
HandsomeLittleLiar
#1335SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:24pm

Is the inclusion of (Let's Start) Tomorrow Tonight on the Bombshell cast album any indication that Sam's number will eventually be put into the show?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1336SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:27pm

I don't know that the show's version of "Bombshell" reflects the canonical existence in our world of the Bombshell score- isn't the "ballad" version of "Never Give All The Heart" on the concept album instead of the uptempo?

HandsomeLittleLiar
#1337SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:31pm

I just found it's placement interesting, on the "cast album" it comes right before Our Little Secret which in terms of the show could make sense as they made a point of mentioning JFK's fundraiser which could segue into Marylin's meeting/bedroom scene with JFK.

Ham3
#1338SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:46pm

Yes it does so segue according to the summary of the Bombshell book included with the CD.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1339SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 3:53pm

Sorry I'm late for the party. I just watched the last episode and even though it wasn't the best episode I really enjoyed it. The mother and daughter scene was gorgeous, Bernadette was amazing, the only thing it lacked for me were high notes, as the song was kind of monotonous, and I wasn't a fan of the set design in the dream sequence, but still it was overall very beautiful.

I also kind of loved the cute storyline between Derek and Jimmy(as much as I hate him), I hope they develope it more.

I feel bad for Karen now that she would most likely share the spotlight with the Diva after she gave up starring on Bombshell for this show.

I honnestly cannot wait for Liza!!

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#1340SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 4:07pm

Maybe this is the beginning of a romance between Derek and Jimmy only to have the latter overdose on drugs and die in Derek's arms leading to a number that strongly resembles Butz's "Heaven on Earth" number because even though he was an asshole Jimmy was a good person on the inside, so he gets to go to heaven.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#1341SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 5:09pm

I'm going to miss this show... SMASH

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

HandsomeLittleLiar
#1342SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 6:19pm

Since there obviously won't be a season 3 I was sitting here thinking it'd be fun if they released a DVD of Bombshell. Most of the musical numbers have already been fully shot, albeit many with Karen but they could have the role of Marylin split much like the cast recording and shoot the remaining dialogue scenes. Just an interesting thought as I was watching Marylin in Manhattan on Netflix which is an interesting documentary.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1343SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 6:51pm

From my understanding, its been stated that no book was ever actually created. So there is no dialogue to record.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1345SMASH
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:35am

Peters is the actress, not the character.

Updated On: 4/4/13 at 12:35 AM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#1346SMASH
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:37am

Well, whatever her name is. I'm assuming the character is supposed to have similar standing to the actress.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1347SMASH
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:38am

Did you miss the part where she had a daughter on the show?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#1348SMASH
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:43am

I caught that. I still find it difficult to swallow. Sorry I'm letting my penchant for critical thinking and logic detract from my enjoyment of the show.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1349SMASH
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:45am

There are plenty of things to pick at, but why Ivy's mother agreed to do the show isn't really one of them.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#1350SMASH
Posted: 4/4/13 at 12:48am

It was a ridiculous and unbelievable as most of the things on the show, that much is certain.

Videos