News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 53

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1300SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:29am

I hope when Jimmy dies, there will be a big dance number with everyone welcoming him into heaven called "Just Beyond These Golden Gates"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1301SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:34am

Remember when Karen went to Greendale and grifted Chevy Chase?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#1302SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:36am

Can Chang play Karen for an episode?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1303SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:38am

I think Chang would be marvelous as Karen.

bryan2
#1304SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 8:46am

I hope they got PINK's permission to steal her routine for the DIVA ....so now they have to start conflict between Karen and "the diva" ...who writes this crap

Ham3
#1305SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 9:31am

The CD has another Peters number, with Sophia Caruso as little girl Norma Jean. Wonder when/if they are going to do that one.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#1306SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 9:34am

I wonder if Jimmy will die onstage, like in Moulin Rouge or Black Swan. It's been done before, which is perfect for Smash's creative team.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1307SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 9:52am

I am perplexed as to how supporting character Krysta Rodriguez gets a complete number two weeks in a row, and Megan Hilty gets barely anything to sing. Don't really care for Krysta or her character.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

SporkGoddess
#1308SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:21am

Although I would love for it to happen, how the heck could they reduce Karen's role? What details they have given us about this incredibly vague storyline imply that she needs to be a pretty big part of it. Unless they change the music-thieving maneater to the Diva instead of Amanda.

I was no fan of the Arachne idea, but at least that made more sense than this. Aghh.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1309SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:25am

I have to admit, I had one "Oh, yay, this represents ME!" moment last night, when the writers began to worry about the question of "How can you build a one-scene cameo character into a lead role?"

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing in my writing right now. It required rejiggering of the entire script beginning to end.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1310SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:37am

I wonder if the intent was to make The Diva's character come off as Arachne-esque. I don't know how any of us could watch that number and not think of Arachne, and then having them beef up her part to misguidedly take over the show would be following in Taymor's footsteps.

I just don't think there's enough time left to explore all these ideas. Plus it would assuredly make Hit List into a flop musical, and I think the writers want us to believe it will be a trendy hit.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

AEA AGMA SM
#1311SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:39am

Now that we know that the Diva only had one song in the first act it makes me question why in the hell Derek would think he could get some huge star (or even Lea Michelle) to come and sing one song in a non-profit Off-Broadway musical.

Ham3
#1312SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:41am

Somebody in authority must have it in for Hilty. I read somewhere that Spielberg wanted to fire her. I think they wanted to make this show a "smash" for McPhee and when she bombed, and was so manifestly outshined by Hilty, they resented it. Hit LIst is transparently designed for McPhee's style, she just wasn't up to the classic style of the Bombshell numbers. And I think they hoped that numbers in the Hit List style would attract a young audience.

WhizzerMarvin
#1313SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:45am

Very good point AEA. I guess they just wanted to see how many times they could say Lea Michele's name in 5 minutes.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1314SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:31am

The decision to make Hilty a secondary, and sympathetic character seems one of hindsight, when Hilty proved too likable to really play the brilliant but massively flawed character she was designed to be.

The idea of the Ivy character as it was originally conceived- a massively more talented, but incredibly unstable and far-from-dependable performer- would have been a fascinating foil in Season 1. Now, we have that character in Jimmy, freeing Ivy to be the more down-to-earth but less interesting character she has become.

WhizzerMarvin
#1315SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:43am

The ratings are out: 0.9

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/03/tv-ratings-tuesday-the-voice-soars-the-new-normal-rises-dancing-with-the-stars-smash-the-mindy-project-down/176185/

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1316SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:45am

So, in millions that's 3.07... didn't they have 3.05 million last week?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1317SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:54am

That probably means it's getting renewed.

If anyone seems to have pissed off one of the writers is Jeremy Jordan, what did he do to them to get such an awful, unlikable character? It's just so dumb.
I loved the stuff with BOMBSHELL, as sloppy and poorly done as some of it is, I'm a sucker for it especially if Bernadette is involved. However, I agree with whoever said that the song sucked and that if it was in an actual musical I'd be bored out of my mind, it's just one of those throwaway numbers that you see in plenty of shows a lot of the time.
I couldn't stop thinking about Pink and Arachne when I saw all the diva nonsense. The way Phyllis feels about Sam, I feel about Ana and Jimmy. I pretty much hate everything concerning HIT LIST.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#1318SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:56am

This is the second episode to address the Diva character, and it says something when none of us knows her part in the story.

WellsNYC
#1319SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:59am

I think I just watched my last episode of SMASH... Unfortunately, it seems to get less and less interesting each week.

WhizzerMarvin
#1320SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:00pm

What do you guys predict the ratings will be for Saturday night? Given the time slot I think they'll be lucky to pull a 0.5.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1321SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:50pm

I predict it will be a Smash!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1322SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:56pm

HIT LIST is sung through!??!?! When did they ever mention this before? That makes serious no sense since all of the songs sound vastly different from one another. I could never imagine those songs in the same show much less sung straight through together. And how could Julia come in as a dramaturg on HIT LIST if that's the case?

I'm going to echo everyone's comments about The Diva character because none of that makes any sense either. "Let's get Lea Michele to come back to Broadway to since ONE song in the first act." That clearly would never happen. And why was her number fully staged during the benefit while Karen just stood there like an autotuned bump on a log and slept her way through that subpar rendition of "Broadway Here I Come?" Rodriguez was really good during "Reach for Me" and it slightly changed my disdain for her.

Sam is still obviously the worst. No one made you quit the BOM tour for the drunken promise of one song in a show. Did anyone notice Kyle lovingly caress the stage manager(?) during Karen's performance in the theatre?

Can we please talk about how HIT LIST is going to be included during the Tonys when it's still only Off-Broadway? That is going to be some magical time travel sh!t to explain it.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1323SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:00pm

They pow-wowed on the roof about how Kyle's book was crap and Ana or Karen mentioned how ReNt was also sung through so they decided they'd do the same with Hit List.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1324SMASH
Posted: 4/3/13 at 1:01pm

Singing through Hit List was mentioned a couple of episodes after the initial read/sing through that the book was really weak.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos