News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New Plays 2024-2025

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/6/24 at 4:41am

What a wonderfully stacked season this is with new plays on Broadway, commercial and non-profit.  How nice it is to see so many acclaimed playwrights getting their work produced.  Will update as we go along.  Any early Tony predictions?

English - Sanaz Toossi
Oh, Mary - Cole Escola
The Hills of California - Jez Butterworth
JOB - Max Wolf Friedlich
Purpose - Branden Jacob-Jenkins
McNeal - Ayad Akhtar
Stranger Things: The First Shadow - Kate Trefry, Duffer Brothers, Jack Thorne
Left on Tenth - Delia Ephron
The Roommate - Jen Silverman
Cult of Love - Leslye Headland
Eureka Day - Jonathan Spector 
Goodnight, and Good Luck- George Clooney, Grant Heslov

Updated On: 9/7/24 at 04:41 AM

chrishuyen
#2New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/6/24 at 1:49pm

Would Yellow Face be considered a revival? It's been 17 years since it was first seen in NYC and has had a good number of productions since then so I feel like it would fall into the "classics" category.

As for Tonys, without having seen most of these I would assume English and Hills of California are early predictions for getting a nomination (and possible win), with a likely dark horse nom for Oh Mary too (or maybe an acting nom for Cole Escola--I feel like it will be acknowledged in some way)

KevinKlawitter
#3New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/6/24 at 2:25pm

Early Tony predictions in many cases will have to wait for casting, although I think penciling in Robert Downey, Jr. as a Best Actor nominee for McNeal is pretty safe based on hype alone. Cole Escola could also get in Best Actor (depending on their category placement, of course). Daniel Dae Kim has a helluva role in Yellowface (although as far as the play itself goes, I think chrishuyen is right that it will be considered a revival).

walnutoraroach
#4New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/6/24 at 3:46pm

I’d say the Best Play noms at this moment are English, Hills of California, Oh Mary!, Purpose and then either Stranger Things or Cult of Love (just based on what I’ve heard from out of town). I adore English but I think Oh Mary! could pull out a win if the voters who don’t want to support it fail to rally around one more serious alternatives. 

Guess Best Actor will be (holy moly) Denzel Washington, Jake Gyllenhaal, Daniel Dae Kim, Robert Downey Jr., and George Clooney?! I hope Tonys finally follow Drama Desk and OCC and go all-gender in performance categories, but if not, Cole Escola might be more strategic to run in Best Actress (and how could they resist going up against Patti LuPone?). If Dorian Gray transfers, sounds like Sarah Snook will challenge for it. 

I would LOVE to see a nom for Marjan Neshat if she’s back in English — not sure if she’s be deemed lead or featured.

Broadway Flash
#5New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/7/24 at 1:57am

I highly doubt Cole would be in the leading actress category.  I think you’re right about yellow face being a revival, I’m going to take it off the list. 

Amy Archer
#6New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/7/24 at 6:42am

You all are sleeping on Eureka Day

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#7New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/7/24 at 11:54am

Would also like to see Marjan Neshat for English nominated along with Laura Donnelly for The Hills of California.

verywellthensigh
#8New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/7/24 at 7:31pm

RIP

New Plays 2024-2025

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#9New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 4:52pm

Motive and the Cue is likely coming in from London this season.

Is Dear England still on track for Bway this season?

Both of those would be big contenders for awards.

Broadway Flash
#10New Plays 2024-2025
Posted: 9/8/24 at 6:46pm

Picture of Dorian Gray, Motive and the cue, Little Bear Ridge Road, Barcelona, My Neighbor Totoro, Dear England, SH*T. Meet. Fan.  are new plays rumored for Broadway.  I’m not putting them on the list until something is announced. 

Videos