News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!- Page 3

Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#50Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/17/16 at 1:00pm

givesmevoice said: "The Goodman's website has videos with Michael Greif, Christopher Gattelli and Scott Frankel, where they discuss the musical's development. http://www.goodmantheatre.org/Upcoming-Season/War-Paint/

What confuses me, though, is that everyone keeps saying the show is funny. I guess it might be, but when I was reading Lindy Woodhead's book, I was under the impression that Rubinstein and Arden didn't have much of a sense of humor.
"

Oh that's a great little interview--thank you! Has anybody seen the PBS documentary on them? I'm hoping to watch it before I see the production in July, but I want to know if it's worth it or if I should just wait and be surprised!

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#51Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/17/16 at 4:16pm

What confuses me, though, is that everyone keeps saying the show is funny. I guess it might be, but when I was reading Lindy Woodhead's book, I was under the impression that Rubinstein and Arden didn't have much of a sense of humor.

Well I don't know the story of these two ladies very well, but sometimes people with no sense of humor are unintentionally the funniest people.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#52Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/17/16 at 5:47pm

The PBS documentary is rather dry and episodic, though it mixes in some Max Fleischer style cartoons during the transitions. The film does not offer many hints of a musical narrative. The two women never met and their catty remarks about each other in the press seem a small part of their careers. They did however have unhappy marriages which offer several musical opportunities. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#53Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:46am

The battle between Charles Revson[Revlon] and Estee Lauder==now THERE the claws were out.

Think there might have been some reference in the Revlon story Fire and Ice [ the colour of Revlons' first lipstick]---it's a great read and Jane2 ,  you mentioned your interest in makeup, if still in print, check it out.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#54Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/18/16 at 10:15am

Does anyone have advice on a good hotel near the Goodman Theatre? 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#55Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/18/16 at 10:22am

WhizzerMarvin said: "Does anyone have advice on a good hotel near the Goodman Theatre? "

I'd also love to know a good hotel close by. Looking into booking it soon as I'll be there in July. EEEEEK I'm so excited.

WhatDoINeedWithLove?2
#56Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/18/16 at 10:35am

The Wit is one block east and one block north of the Goodman on State St. 

Updated On: 3/18/16 at 10:35 AM

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#57Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/18/16 at 11:22am

WhatDoINeedWithLove?2 said: "The Wit is one block east and one block north of the Goodman on State St. "

Thanks! I will look into it...

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
#58Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/19/16 at 6:23am

Here is a list of Loop hotels 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g35805-zfn7778523-Chicago_Illinois-Hotels.html

Most are within easy walking distance of the Goodman

Updated On: 3/19/16 at 06:23 AM

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#59Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/19/16 at 8:28am

^^Depends on what "good" means to you.  If you want something with a little character, try the Hotel Allegro, which is a block and a half down the street, for a funky hotel with art deco styling.  A little further away is the La Quinta Inn, which has more basic accommodations but a free full breakfast.  If you're budget conscious, there's nothing wrong with the Club Quarters at either Wacker or Adams St.  

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#60Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/19/16 at 12:50pm

Does anyone have advice on a good hotel near the Goodman Theatre? 

If you want something with history and a bit of character, I recommend the Burnham.  I love the Atwood cafe located inside.  Also nearby is the famous Palmer House, though I'm not a huge fan (go inside to see the lobby, but the rooms are not great).  The Wit is one of those contemporary hip trendy hotels with a popular (and severely overrated) rooftop bar for twenty-something business majors on the prowl and ready to drink and yell until they puke and get carried into cabs or ambulances.  I would never recommend it to anyone unless it was the only hotel available or somehow priced significantly lower than anything else within a 5 mile radius.  If a pretty view is what you're after, you could try the Renaissance, Monaco, or Langham.  I have a friend who always stays at the Langham every time she's in Chicago on business.

As long as you're in town during the summer, you may want to check out the Ravinia schedule and Grant Park Music Festival.  The world premiere of Spongebob will be occurring during the War Paint run as well.  I attended the preview for Spongebob and it really sounded like something worth seeing.

I'm attending the show on 7/14, but if you come into town to see it any time, let me know.  I live near the Goodman and we can meet up for drinks.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#61Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 3/19/16 at 1:34pm

I can only vouch for the Allegro, as I stayed there a few years ago. Really nice place- neat room with fun decor. Very clean, too. I remember there being a number of places to eat within walking distance as well. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#63Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 4/14/16 at 6:08pm

I wonder if this means John won't go with dear Evan Hansen if it transfers to Broadway.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#64Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/16 at 1:13am

A little late to the party, but I FINALLY committed and bought seats for the second preview on the 29th! I can't put into words how excited I am. I will be doing (as many others have mentioned) a 2 show day with a matinee of SpongeBob and War Paint in the evening. I bought from the SIX seats they had left for the second preview (first preview is currently sold out) and got two together, 4th row center mezz. Someone who is accustomed to the Goodman, are these good seats? I usually like orchestra more, but I took what I could get and am grateful. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#65Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/16 at 1:40am

The Albert theatre is such an intimate house so there's not a bad seat in there. You should be perfect with 4th row mezz.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

indytallguy
#66Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/16 at 5:07am

For people asking about nice hotels, I stayed again at the Hyatt Centric Loop last week and loved it. Small boutique hotel a couple of blocks from the Goodman. Got a great weekend rate as it caters primarily to business travelers.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#67Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/16 at 10:16am

If you go to the Goodman site and click visit you can book at the Allegro and the Burnham at a discounted rate. I got the Allegro for 130 a night.

Also, skip the PBS doc-I found it a total bore. Their story isn't a particularly compelling narrative. The doc uses stock footage of the era (very little of the ladies themselves) with boring voiceovers.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#68Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/16 at 10:37am

I'll be there at the first preview ... will anyone else be there?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

tapfrog
#69Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 6/15/16 at 10:42am

I highly recommend the documentary!

tapfrog
#70Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole to star in WAR PAINT at Chicago's Goodman Theatre!
Posted: 6/15/16 at 10:44am

Bettyboy72, I respectfully disagree with your evaluation of the documentary. I have seen it several times and
find it to be entertaining and enlightening.

Updated On: 6/15/16 at 10:44 AM

Videos