News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

"Spring Awakening" on 90210?

mattnyc2 Profile Photo
mattnyc2
#1"Spring Awakening" on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:02am

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I did a search but nothing came up.

Apparently on the new "90210" Brenda Walsh is going to be directing a high school production of "Spring Awakening." I guess that's a nice little piece of publicity for the show, but knowing "90210" it will be done extremely tacky.
Deherty to direct "Spring Awakening"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:21am

Well you dont know 90210 as it hasn't even aired yet and the original show happened to be groundbreaking

As for SA on 90210 yeah i heard the same thing

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:52am

90210 may have been groundbreaking and may have hit upon things that were important to discuss at the time. But, the acting on that show was at times over the top regardless of what they were talking about. I think that is what the OP means by saying it would be done tacky.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#3re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 12:43pm

Mark my words: this will be cancelled almost immediately.

Now try to follow my logic here please. This is the first TV show that has come out in the longest time where every time they release more news (casting, plot, etc.) my interest somehow actually increases. The only thing I've somewhat cringed at is that the 'Brenda'-type character (not Doherty, but Shenae Grimes)'s brother is adopted and black. Not that I have anything wrong with mixing the races up a bit (especially considering how the original 90210 was like the most whitewashed TV show ever and only ever introduced people of different ethnicities either to (a) make a point or (b) be the most useless of tertiary charcters (a cop, a cook, etc.). But the only way they could have a black guy is to have him be adopted? Really?! Because he couldn't just GO to West Beverly.

Sorry, a little lost in my own tangent there. Back to the point at hand. This is the only show where every bit of news (Lori Laughlin, Jessica Walter [Arrested Development anyone?], Shenae Grimes [I'm a nerd for Canadian drama], Jennie Garth, possibly Tori, and Shannen freakin' Doherty. And now they are including Spring Awakening in it as well? Wow.

Yeah, it will definitely be cancelled. Nothing that makes me this happy could possibly last.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 12:54pm

You sure she's not directing the original play?

mormonophobic
#5re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 1:07pm

The source does say “There will be a musical within our show. She will be the guest director."

And that's apparently from the show's producer. So if that's true, it can't be the play.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#6re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 1:09pm

mormonphobic.... nice post. but you could have saved some time and just said that this crap will be cancelled. everyone would have believed you.

it looks so awful. yuck.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 1:33pm

BobbyBubby,

The article that was linked with the original post said that they were going to be doing the Shiek musical. So it isn't Spring Awakening the play that they are doing. It is the musical version of Spring Awakening.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

desperateAndee Profile Photo
desperateAndee
#8re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 2:29pm

Yes, it is the musical version of the play. In the script I read, at the begining the character of Annie walks in on a rehearsal and it's of the musical number 'The Bitch of Living' and later on Annie stands in to sing 'Momma who Bore Me'.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#9re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 3:06pm

Toodarnhot, you could just disapear for a while.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#10re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 3:12pm

Guess they aren't only trying to cash in on teen shows/nostalgia for the original, but also trying to get on the "High School Musical" boat as well.

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#11re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 5:18pm

I don't really see how this is so shocking. 90210 wants to be edgy and current and for most teenagers nothing seems more current than SA. It will also be good exposure for the show and I'm sure will spark some interest in it.

mormonophobic
#12re: 'Spring Awakening' on 90210?
Posted: 7/28/08 at 5:18pm

Other than the fact that the source mentions both, how are Spring Awakening and High School Musical even remotely similar? Even someone who loathes Spring Awakening can't say it's remotely similar to the crap Disney churns out.

Videos