News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The Wizard of Oz

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#1The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 7:29pm

The "musical" version, not specifically the movie script, how different is it to the movie script? Are there any different songs? Does Glinda actually sing anything?
We're doing this show for my senior "musical" and I found it odd, because apparently whatever script we're using doesn't stray too far from the movie's, yet it's not your typical extravagant musical unfortunately..are the songs generally just the ones from the movie?
Thanks for any info regarding the stage musical version of The Wizard of Oz.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.
Updated On: 1/13/07 at 07:29 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 7:33pm

Well - its "Glinda" in the WIZARD OF OZ. Galinda wasn't invented yet. There are two versions of the script that Tams Witmark Licenses - one is from the 1940s - one from the RSC from about 15 years ago. Both use the movie songs, but the script from the 40s production is less faithful. The one from the RSC is basically the movie on stage.

According to the Tams website - the RSC version is encouraged for groups with a lot of technical resources, while the 1940s script is better on a budget.

In both versions, Glinda sings her "Come out, come out" thing from the MGM movie. In the RSC version she also sings "Optomistic Voices" (You're out of the woods, you're out of the dark...) after the poppies scene.

Updated On: 1/13/07 at 07:33 PM

lightguy06222
#2re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 7:33pm

i didnt realize GA-linda is even in the Wizard of Oz.... but Glinda is, and yes, as far as I remember, she does sing.

GirlforTartaglia
#3re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 7:38pm

Sorry -- for the longest time I thought her name was "Belinda" anyways...shows how much I don't really even want to do this show re: The Wizard of Oz

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

Michael Bennett
#4re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 7:40pm

THE WIZARD OF OZ is a fabulous musical - you'll have a blast doing it and you will sell out every show. I know to a high school senior its not as glamorous as doing CHICAGO or A CHORUS LINE, but trust me your audience will thank you and you will have less of a chance ending up mocked on youtube.
Updated On: 1/13/07 at 07:40 PM

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 10:14pm

I think Belinda was the name of the chicken in Return to Oz, yes?

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Matters Profile Photo
Matters
#6re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 11:05pm

Yes.

Canadians are not afraid of the dark! Ok...we don't love it, but who does?

GirlforTartaglia
#7re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 11:22pm

Never saw it.
Just was never fond of anyone except Dorothy

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#8re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 11:33pm

In the RSC production, Glinda also doubles as Aunt Em. In addition to singing "Come Out, Come Out" she also sings "The Optimistic Voices" chorus when the four leave the poppie field (You're out of the woods, you're out of the dark, you're out of the night...). The role of Aunt Em/Glinda in the RSC version is a wonderful role! As is pretty much ANY role in that show.

If you really study the show/movie, you will find it to be nothing short of brilliant on many different levels. That is one of the many reasons the novel and film have lasted in American pop culture for over 100 years, with no end in sight.

husk_charmer
#9re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/13/07 at 11:34pm

First, in "Return to Oz" the chicken's name is Billina.

Moving on-
Wizard of Oz is CERTIANLY a glamorous musical. There are two primary versions of the musical for liscencing. The MUNY and RSC. The MUNY was written around 1944 (I think, do NOT hold me to this) by Frank Gabrielson for the St. Louis Municipal Opera House. At that point in time, MANY of the films effects were not easily achieved. At this point flight in a play was limited to up and down and occasional side to side. Therefore an almost entirely new script was written. They retained all of the songs from the film, plus a new song called "Evening Star." The biggest differences being there is no Toto, no flying monkeys, no poppy field and no ruby slippers. The role of Glinda is relegated to "Sorceress of the North" and stays in Act 1 only (However she doesn't stay passive like usual which is kinda nice). The Wicked Witch is played totally for humor, and instead of melting shrinks in a magic potion. The most shocking difference is that since there are no ruby slippers, Dorothy goes home with the Wizard in a rocketship. Yes...that's right, a rocketship...hello Space Race thinking.
The RSC is INCREDIBLY faithful to the MGM film we all know and mostly love. It was commisioned in 1987 for the RSC's newest theatre the Barbican. The script was adapted by John Kane and got a whole new set of orchestrations. It created the dual role of Aunt Em and Glinda (instead of seperate actresses, which bothers me, b/c if Aunt Em is "in" Oz, why doesn't Dorothy just stay?), and makes Uncle Henry into the Gatekeeper. This is the effect heavy show, but is easily done on a modest budget. The typical complaint from most critics is that the Wicked Witch, while keeping the films lines, also has a LARGE amount of comedy, which isn't keeping with our image of the scary Witch. Consequently when Phyllis Diller did the role in 1997 at the MUNY she was ripped to shreds for not being scary enough. (The lines can easily be played with malice for an uncomfortably creepy laugh). Some versions even give the Witch the intro verse of "The Jitterbug" to sing. (Most recent being Eartha Kitt in the MSG National Tour).

Now, this may not seem like the biggest splashiest thing, however on a resume, it looks good. The roles are fun, the audience will be amazing, and as it's been pointed out you WILL sell out every performance. And, if it turns out to NOT be the RSC, the MUNY is still fun, even if just to laugh at it's bizzareness.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#10re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 12:24am

I personally hate when they double Aunt Em as Glinda and Uncle Henry as someone else. It ruins the whole point that those are the two people she wants to get home to. People need to think these things out before they do the double casting.

husk_charmer
#11re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 12:59am

Spacedog-
My thoughts EXACTLY. She spends WAY to long ranting about Aunt Em and Uncle Henry. If they are there, I wouldn't go back to Kansas...I'd stay in technicolor with awesome friends and kick ass shoes.

Michael Bennett
#12re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 1:58am

I doubt they would double Glinda/Aunt Em for a high school production. They need as many female roles as possible!

husk_charmer
#13re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 2:21am

MB-
You would be correct, aside from one production I did see that did that...but they were one of those insane by the book types of schools.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#14re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 2:24am

^R.L. Turner?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#15re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 3:07am

While I agree, the fact that it is all a dream makes it possible that she would see her Aunt Em as a guardian figure. One who is always there to protect her from harm. It is a logical choice, althought it MAY not be the MOST effective one. I see why they did it.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#16re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 3:09am

How do y'all feel about a male playing the Wicked Wich of the West?

-Benjamin

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#17re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 3:16am

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONOSTUPIDSTUPIDSTUPIDSTUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID

Get over it queens. It is a FEMALE ROLE! To be played by Miss. Gulch. A female.

Who ever thought a male could play that role? Stupid.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#18re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 3:25am

DREAM KILLER!

-Benjamin

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:39am

MB is right about the reaction to the show. I played the Tinman in a regional production back in the '80s for the Kansas Repertory Theatre.

It was a big "to do" at the time, and we sold out every show. Elizabeth Dole was there on opening night.

But it took me 90 minutes to get into my makeup, skull cap, and costume. Agony! And once I was wired in, I couldn't sit down for the rest of the show. (The barrel around your torso goes below your hips, so you can't raise up your legs very far and bend at the waist. No sitting!)

I actually lost 8 pounds at every performance, basically locked in a silver/tin can (even if it wasn't actually TIN, the lights reflecting off of the material casing turned me into a baked potato). I had to eat giant meals and drink lots of liquids during our run... just so I could lose 8 pounds again every night.

But it was a dream come true for me... since it's my favorite film of all time. To sit in that chair each night and have a makeup artist apply the same makeup process to my face that Jack Haley went through back in '39 was surreal and SO very fulfilling.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/24/07 at 10:39 AM

husk_charmer
#20re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 12:46pm

Actually Kyle, I have seen two very successful stagings of the piece with a male as the Witch/Ms. Gultchn (When the mid-90's Ice production toured we had an understudy, played by a man, but under the mask and makeup, you couldn't tell), AND if you pick up a copy of the 1987 RSC Cast Album, which is essientially the original stage production of the show, it was played by a man as well. As long as you are careful to not play up the fact it's a man in the role (i.e. not the approach of "oh I'm a man playing a woman *wink wink*), the audience can't always tell the difference.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#21re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 1:10pm

I guess I always figured the only reason to have a male play the role would be to play up the "oh I'm a man playing a woman *wink wink*", because otherwise why wouldn't you cast a female in the role? Also, 95% of the time there are always more male roles than female roles in a show, so why not let a woman play a woman. Especially a juicy role like The Wicked Witch of the West!

Does anyone know where a male playing the role started? Was it the original RSC production in London? Or was it going on before then? As an Oz Fanatic I have always been curious about when and why it started! Anyone know?

Edit: After rereading my post last night, I would like to preface it with the fact that I may or may not have been slightly intoxicated. re: The Wizard of Oz That may explain why it seems like such a random, uncalled for outburst. I guess you got to see how a really feel about the matter!

Updated On: 1/14/07 at 01:10 PM

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#22re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 1:15pm

I have no idea why they would ever let a man play the witch, I mean c'mon there are enough male parts in that show. The only witch I would want to see played by a man would be the witch of the east, but he beeter have a nice pair of legs and hopefully share the same shoe size with Dorothy.

Holliwoodblonde Profile Photo
Holliwoodblonde
#23re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 1:18pm

How does everyone feel about having a person play Toto?

http://avdagen.blogspot.com/

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#24re: The Wizard of Oz
Posted: 1/14/07 at 1:21pm

Call me old fashioned when it comes to this material, but I think having a person playing Toto looks horrible. I mean sure it is okay if an Elementary School is putting it on, but any production with teenagers or above...no way.

Videos