News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Wicked Tour 9/17 Night

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#25re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/21/05 at 4:05am

Awww, I'm so sorry that you were disappointed. At least it seems that way from your review. I'm off to bed but I wanted to reply quickly. It's too bad you didn't see Stephanie at her best because when she is on she is AMAZING. After all she's been through with this show there is no way she takes this for granted. Anyone who has exchanged even one word with her will tell you that. Do you think having a different Morrible and Boq changed the dynamics of the show? Not that it should matter but... maybe something was going on tonight aside from them all getting used to singing in that thin and dry air up there. Did the group you were with enjoy it at least? Thanks for your honest review, I'll be giving mine on the Full Monty after I see it tomorrow :)
Updated On: 9/21/05 at 04:05 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#26re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/21/05 at 4:10am

With all due respect...Steph was excellent. Her "No Good Deed" Kicked A**! But there were flashes. Moments of "wonderfullness". It just fealt that they knew they were in a bonifide hit and "Here we are". "We sold out your town and you are going to love us". Well...I "Liked" them!!!!

Just give the world Love.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#27re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/21/05 at 4:15am

Of course my group enjoyed it! It was their first time seeing it!

I, outside of technically, was not totally impressed. There is more "meat" to these characters, that was not evident tonight.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#28re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/21/05 at 10:40am

Do you think they enjoyed it more BECAUSE it was their first time? I'm not sure if you wrote that as two separate thoughts or not. If so... that's an interesting theory.

Updated On: 9/21/05 at 10:40 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#29re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/21/05 at 11:09am

Yes, they probably did enjoy it more because it was their 1st time. And most of the people in my group had not heard the OBCR before seeing it. I really tried not to compare it to the original cast. It just came down to the rushed feeling and Ms. Block kind of walking through the part. But I do have to give kudos to Kendra for finding her own Glinda. No hair flip thing like Kristin (Which I really missed!) but she had the thing going on with the purse. The nervous energy worked but she needs to reel it in a bit more. The part where she flashes the audience during Popular was pretty funny though. I just didn't feel as if the two of them took the journey they did like I fealt when I saw it in New York. The chemistry wasn't all there. Also...Jenna Leigh Green was in very good voice last night. David Garrison was "wonderful". Derrick was great. As Long As You're Mine was done VERY well.

An aside...When I saw it in New York, you could not get near the concession stand. No big rush last night for t-shirts, etc.

Updated On: 9/21/05 at 11:09 AM

erikrokks Profile Photo
erikrokks
#30re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:53pm

I completely agree with Uncageg..."moments of wonderfullness" is the perfect way to describe nearly everyone's performances. I have such a love for the story and the show that I don't think I conveyed that adequately in my review. Also, now that it was mentioned, it did seem kind of rushed through. Plus, I thought the sound was terrible because of where I was sitting, but apparently it was that way everywhere. For my b/f "a couple of things got lost" because it was hard to hear the supporting cast in any of the songs.

"You act like you're cleaner than the Board of Heath, but you're just a fame ho just like me. You know it...and you LOVE it!" -Paradice to Brooklyn

cindy013 Profile Photo
cindy013
#31re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/21/05 at 10:33pm

Aww. They're probably still working out sound things and such. I saw the tour when it was just beginning in Toronto, and there were some parts that were either way too loud or drowned out, but other people who saw it 2 weeks or more after me said it was perfect. I guess lets just hope it gets better! IMO Stephanie is the most amazing Elphaba, and puts so much emotion and depth into the character. I'm shocked that she would rush through it, but who knows. And YES! Her No Good Deed is like, the BEST. EVER. :)

"It breaks my heart to see a grown man dressed as a Taco." -David Sedaris
I love Les Miserables.
My new pic is me(on the left)at my last dance recital:(

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/22/05 at 2:28am

cindy...the Buell has a history of sound issues. It is a 2,800 seat house. Very big. Bigger than the Gershwin, where it is playing on Broadway. I had hoped that the second act would be better. It was not. Being connected, I can usually say something after the 1st act and the second act is much better. I did not say anything this time around.

They did a full house preview on Friday. Sound kinks should have been taken care of after that...

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#33re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/22/05 at 4:34pm

Anyone else going this weekend, or sometime soon?

erikrokks Profile Photo
erikrokks
#34re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/22/05 at 6:37pm

I have a friend from work who wants to go, so I'm going again tonight to try the lottery! I'll let you know...

"You act like you're cleaner than the Board of Heath, but you're just a fame ho just like me. You know it...and you LOVE it!" -Paradice to Brooklyn

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#35re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/22/05 at 6:42pm

GOOD LUCK!!!! *hint hint* We want our first set of stage door pics!

LaMermFanatic Profile Photo
LaMermFanatic
#36re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/27/05 at 2:47pm

Well I saw the show here in Denver, for the 2nd time this past Friday night. Front row mezz, and there were no sound problems at all. Stephanie gave another great performance, I liked Kendra even better the second time. I did have my digital camera and was ready to go to the stage door, went to take a picture, and my batteries went dead. So have opted to go to stage door this coming Friday, for my last visit to Wicked here. I do have new batteries, so should be able to post some pics next week.

Also, was at the Monday night football game, Stephanie J did sing the National Anthem, she started off a little shaky, however found her own and finished with some power singing and yes held the final note fairly long (unlike some notes she does not hold in the show, which I blame on the high altitiude). Ciao!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#37re: Wicked Tour 9/17 Night
Posted: 9/27/05 at 3:04pm

Ugh, I'm still sore about missing the anthem. Darn ABC didn't air it but I think ESPN showed the pregame stuff... unfortunately I didn't think to check there until after the fact. Live and learn I guess.

Sorry about your camera...I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics from Friday.

By the way, I agree about liking Kendra better each time you see her. She kind of grows on you.

Videos