News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GingerSnaps2

Member Name: GingerSnaps2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Peter Marks leaving Washington Post
 Jan 1 2024, 05:33:22 PM

Yep.  He lived in DC for years.  When his daughter went to college and his wife took a job in New York, they moved here.  As he put it, he just took the Acela the other direction.

April 2024 show suggestion
 Dec 22 2023, 08:17:25 AM

Lots of good suggestions here.  I would add Hell’s Kitchen, which I thought was terrific at the Public.

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
 Nov 18 2023, 07:29:22 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "HK is doing another work session in March, for what it’s worth."

That’s intriguing….

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
 Nov 18 2023, 12:04:54 PM

What a delight.  It’s been almost 20 years since Bob Dylan wrote “I was thinking about Alicia Keys, couldn’t keep from crying/when she was born in Hell’s Kitchen, I was living down the line/I’m wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be.”

That question is answered.  So often we see something wonderful off Broadway that is just too small to be on a larger stage.  This demands one.

I hope others enjoy it as much as I di

Wearing a costume to Wicked?
 Oct 26 2023, 08:05:46 AM

Yes.  I have a feeling it’s going to be quite festive at the Gershwin.  Have a wonderful time! (Depending on how tall he is, you may want to ask for a booster cushion.)

Is TKTS open Thurs afternoon
 Oct 26 2023, 07:55:57 AM

According to the app, the booth will be open at 11 a.m. today (as it is on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday), so it seems that would be for selling today’s matinee tickets.  The site will go live at 11 a.m., so check then to see what is on the board.  Enjoy your show!

Oct 6 2023, 01:11:57 PM

I just got a message from the Public saying Hell’s Kitchen has been extended again, now through January 7.  Tickets for members go on sale October 10 and to everyone on October 12.

In related news, I see Brandon Victor Dixon has a couple of caberet shows around town coming up on Monday nights.

Isabelle McCalla to Replace Caroline Innerbichler in SHUCKED, Starting 9/8
 Sep 7 2023, 11:02:26 AM

Just by coincidence, I was there last night.  I had not seen the play before so don’t have a basis for comparison.  I did not expect her to be on and was thrilled when I triple-checked the Playbill pre show.

McCalla was in excellent voice, played her comedic bits very well, and overall did a terrific job.  I only saw a couple of (irrelevant) glitches that I’m sure will be ironed out by tonight.

A wonderful performance.  It was just a fluke that I

RIP Ron Cephas Jones
 Aug 20 2023, 08:00:52 AM

So sorry to hear.  What a talent.

David Cromer To Star in Hyper-Intimate UNCLE VANYA
 Jul 30 2023, 10:33:41 AM

Excellent.  This was far and away one of the most polished “showcase” productions I’ve ever seen.  Has anyone heard who is replacing Bill Irwin for the upcoming second Showcase next week?

BC/EFA Easter Bonnet Competition 2023
 Apr 25 2023, 06:48:29 PM

It was good today, and the crowd seemed happy to be there.

The funniest skit was probably Bad Cinderella. It began with cast members reading from a half dozen reviews: “Peter Marks….”, “Jesse Green….”, with funny lyrics concluding “They can shove it…people love it.”  In a separate bit, Carolee Carmelo noted that she has been in two plays this year:  Bad Cinderella and Bad 1776.  Will Swenson and Victoria Clark did

FAT HAM Previews
 Mar 31 2023, 08:42:47 AM

Saw Fat Ham last night and thought it was absolutely terrific.  Every element exceeded my expectations.  It is certainly heart wrenching, but ultimately so joyous.  Highly recommend.

As a side note, knowing Hamlet is not required, but you’ll find quite a few Easter eggs if you do.  Hey, it’s set at a barbecue, so someone has to say “There’s the rub”, right?

Musicals With Jesus as a Character
 Mar 4 2023, 11:46:22 AM

Randy Newman’s “Faust”.  James Taylor as Jesus, Randy himself as Satan. Linda Ronstadt and Bonnie Raitt.  Encores Off-Center did a fun production several years back.

Black Broadway: PBS Concert
 Mar 4 2023, 11:38:08 AM

This will be broadcast at 9 pm tonight (Saturday, March 4) in New York on channel 13, our local PBS station.  Check your local listings if interested.

What to do in East Village?
 Feb 19 2023, 11:25:23 AM
The good news is there are lots of options. Here are three ideas; the parameters I’m using are no reservations required, not pricey, fine as a single or with a group, and all located on Third Avenue within five blocks of the theater.

* Penny Farthing. Good pub food at 13th and Third, a half block from CSC. I would probably choose this one just for convenience.

* Joe Junior’s at 16th and Third. This is a tiny greasy spoon that I include in case you are in a hurry and want an

What to do in East Village?
 Feb 18 2023, 11:38:01 PM

As mentioned above, it is a great area for exploring.  Here’s one idea for a short walk.

From CSC, go one block north on Third Avenue, then turn left (west) on 14th Street and turn right on Irving Place.  Irving is just six blocks long and is charming and interesting.  You’ll pass the big high school across from Irving Plaza (the rock venue), There’s a Michelin starred tapas place at 16th and the (apocryphal) residence of Washington Irving across the st

Shows that announce their own running time
 Jan 18 2023, 03:56:43 PM

The finale in SIX counts down the last six minutes of the show.

Broadway Discounts
 Dec 16 2022, 06:47:28 PM

I just got a mailer for Pictures From Home.  Code is PICTURES1

What show tonight?
 Dec 16 2022, 03:22:44 PM

It’s a great night for last minute theater tickets! It’s chilly and rainy, and every show recommended in this thread except Funny Girl is up on the TKTS board along with almost every new show of this season.  Enjoy your weekend!

AIN'T NO MO to close December 18
 Dec 12 2022, 11:07:36 PM

Really interesting interview in the article linked above.  Cooper clearly pinpoints the issues regarding attracting an audience that we’ve been discussing (at considerable length) here.  A very good analysis of the problems and recognition that solutions will not come easily but need to be sought. The last paragraph made me hopeful.

I had no problem with “the eviction” comment.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You