News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Um Kulthum

Um Kulthum Profile Photo
Member Name: Um Kulthum
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Funniest Scenes in shows
 Apr 9 2020, 08:17:54 PM

The Band's Visit, Avram's line "Sometimes it feels like we're moving in a circle, around and around with the same scenery going by" while they're all literally moving around on the turntable. Also in TBV, the lazy susan bit!

Sara Bareilles and Gavin Creel in a new show
 Feb 20 2020, 11:07:56 AM

Of working again with Bareilles, Creel announces on the podcast: "I'm going to say it here that we are going to do a new show together. We're just crafting what it's going to be but we're going to play opposite each other in a new show. I'm excited!"

I loved them together in Waitress, so this is very exciting! I wonder what kind of show it could be?? 

SIX - Preview ThreadI was
 Feb 14 2020, 09:01:57 PM

Miles2Go2 said: "Listening to the London recording tonight in preparation for seeing it on B’way two weeks from tonight.

Two questions:

1. In one of the threads awhile back someone posted about which female singer each Queen was meant to resemble musically/vocally. Can anyone recall?

So far: I think:

No Way - Beyonce
Don’t Lose Ur Head - Lily Allen

2. It’s driving me crazy but “Ex-Wives” has sec

Feb 14 2020, 07:45:08 PM

Impossible2 said: "Um Kulthum said: "FabalaYero85 said: "God I haven’t posted on here in years!

I’m seeing it tonight. As someone who’s been in love with Tudor history for the last 12 years I was skeptical about this show at first. Was in London last year and saw all the adverts at the tube stations. Thought it was cute, but didn’t have any time to see it. I lived to regret it. The music is fantastic! Can’t wait to see how we

Feb 14 2020, 12:59:18 PM

FabalaYero85 said: "God I haven’t posted on here in years!

I’m seeing it tonight. As someone who’s been in love with Tudor history for the last 12 years I was skeptical about this show at first. Was in London last year and saw all the adverts at the tube stations. Thought it was cute, but didn’t have any time to see it. I lived to regret it. The music is fantastic! Can’t wait to see how well put together the show is. And of course how historic

The Band's Visit tour cast
 Jan 31 2020, 09:12:56 AM

dmwnc1959 said: "Checking to see if there are any updates from those who may have seen the tour recently. A couple of weeks ago I grabbed a closer seat and upgraded my season ticket to a front row orchestra, so I’m very excited to revisit Bet Hatikva - 45 daysand counting!!!"

The OBC was truly magical, but I like the tour cast too. I saw it in DC last summer, then in Philly two weeks ago (which was my 10th time including Broadway, haha).

Ja

What makes for a successful two-character play?
 Jan 7 2020, 06:01:51 PM

I saw "The Sound Inside" recently and one thing that struck me was how some interactions between the two characters were portrayed not as dialogue, but rather Mary-Louise Parker's character recounting what had happened. Her character being a writer, it made particular sense that she would narrate like that; I don't suppose it would always work. But it kept me guessing, and interested in the story.

That play also had a good line that is more generally good writing

Final Performances 1/5
 Jan 7 2020, 10:54:10 AM

MollyJeanneMusic said: "Hey guys! I know we have a few scattered threads about the shows that closed yesterday (1/5/2020), and I thought it would be a good idea to create one streamlined place to talk about the final performances! So if anyone went to the closing performance of Waitress, Tootsie, The Lightning Thief, Secret, A Christmas Carol, The Illusionists, Slava's Snowshow, or Yiddish Fiddler on the Roof, here's a good place to post them!"

I wish I could

Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?
 Nov 12 2019, 10:45:48 AM

Lately I've been loving the 2017 recording of Brigadoon with Kelli O'Hara and Stephanie J. Block. I've seen the movie, ages ago, but never the stage show and it seems so fun!

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
 Oct 14 2019, 01:05:12 PM

carolinaguy said: "Wasn't the Audience Rewards pre-sale supposed to start this morning? It's still only giving me AmEx as a payment method.

Edit: Going through the Audience Rewards site wasn't working, but clicking on the pre-sale tickets link from the show's website did. This one hurt, but I'm Row A front mezzanine for the performance on the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original production.
"

I had this same issue&

Best Broadway.com Vlogger
 Oct 10 2019, 12:44:58 PM

I was sad The Band's Visit never had one– Sharone Sayegh would've been excellent. I always loved watching her backstage instagram stories!

Harry Potter's Box Office Illusions
 Sep 26 2019, 05:07:39 PM

VotePeron said: "Princeton2 said: "The play itself has received mixed word of mouth, especially amongst hardcore potter fans who would be more likely to invest in seeing both parts. Plus with other productions opening up people dont necessarily have to travel to nyc to see it, they can wait for it to be a bit closer to home"

You could look at it that way, but I'm a megafan and have seen the show...a lot. I think fans who've seen it enjoy it overa

THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
 Sep 24 2019, 07:34:31 PM

From my copy of the book:

Sammy: There you are.

Dina: Oh god.

Sammy: The hell were you doing back there? What, did you fall on your head?

Tewfiq: Hey–

Sammy: Stay out of it, it’s not your business.

Dina: I was eating dinner.

Sammy: Now my wife is asking millions of questions because of your nonsense!

Dina: He says his wife is ask lots of questions now thanks t

BCEFA FLEA 2019 COLLECTORS UNITE
 Sep 22 2019, 11:50:00 AM
At one table (the Association of Theatrical Press Agents and Managers) I found a Band’s Visit tin with four coasters inside. Does anyone here know what its story might be— was it show merchandise at some point?
Shows you're most anticipated for this season?
 Sep 19 2019, 10:13:22 AM

Company!! I'd heard of it before, but only since the rumors began that Katrina Lenk was going to be in it have I actually listened to it– and I really like it! 

Also tentatively excited for Six– I absolutely loved it in Edinburgh and was hoping the British cast would come to Broadway. But I'll give the American cast a try!

Six heading to Broadway
 Sep 10 2019, 03:20:01 PM

n2nbaby said: "Has anyone sat in the rear mezz of the Brooks? Was looking at the $49 tickets but I’ve never sat up there. Any insight?"

I was up there for Waitress. We were toward the center, which definitely helped. It did feel a bit far, but ultimately we felt like we could see everyone onstage well enough. I probably will sit up there again for Six– which I want to see again (saw it at the Edinburgh Fringe last year) but haven&

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
 Sep 7 2019, 01:19:58 PM

A little interview with Katrina Lenk from the opening night of Betrayal !

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/company-broadway-katrina-lenk-patti-lupone.html

COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
 Aug 30 2019, 08:15:08 AM

Mike Barrett said: "Just keep tossing my wallet at my computer screen hoping something goes through. This is incredible."

Haha same!! March never felt so far away!

COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
 Aug 15 2019, 05:11:58 PM

Saw this from a Backstage writer on twitter:

"Apropos of absolutely nothing I swear !!!!!! shall we revisit Katrina Lenk’s *gender-swapped* “If I Were a Rich Man,” a performance that turned the gays straight and the straights gay and generally redefined sexuality? I think we shall." 
https://twitter.com/Casey_Mink/status/1162099586183438337?s=20 

The Band's Visit tour cast
 Jul 13 2019, 06:15:54 PM

I went to see it yesterday evening! The audience enjoyed it (lots of laughs, audible ohs when Tewfiq tells Dina about his son, and awws when Amalia finally calls) and the cast was good. I enjoyed it too, really, although I am glad I got to see the Broadway cast. 

Chilina Kennedy played Dina louder & more brash, I think, compared to Katrina Lenk's Dina being more soulful and sadder. I felt like Sasson Gabay dialed up his p

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You