News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BeingAlive

BeingAlive Profile Photo
Member Name: BeingAlive
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Favorite Sondheim Lyric?
 Mar 31 2008, 01:37:30 AM
so so many, but I'll only list a few.

I have to third
"I chose and my world was shaken, so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not."
from Sunday

then from Merrily, "Good Thing Going"-
"And if I wanted too much was that such a mistake at the time? You never wanted enough- alright, tough, I don't make that a crime."

from Follies "Waiting for the Girls Upstairs"-
"Life was fun but oh so intense, everything was possible and nothing ma

re: Best (and worst) dressed
 Jun 11 2007, 07:38:34 PM
I have three words:
Pop Top Dress.

re: Would you take your chances with TKTS?
 May 8 2007, 06:29:57 PM
I can definitley sympathize, I'm a freak about getting tickets in advance but decided to leave time for TKTS on my first visit to NYC.
I would say go for it because the chances of GG being on the board are very likely and since your trip's within the month, you'll probably get about the same quality of seat whether you buy for 100 now or for 60 in New York. Plus, you might as well use the gift certificate.

re: Ideas for new musicals - based on plays or books
 May 8 2007, 01:22:22 AM
sorry for being a flake, I completely surpassed the "school assignment" part and was way too specific.
One of my favorite books Cannery Row was turned into the R&H flop Pipe Dream, but that has some potential.
My all time favorite "On the Road" seems pretty unmusical, but the characters have a lot to say and why couldn't they express it through song?
I'll think of some more.

re: Grey Gardens- new look?
 May 8 2007, 01:15:45 AM
ooh la la! Those are definitley better. Love the bottom ad. Thanks!
Worst Idea I've Heard in a Long Time
 May 8 2007, 01:12:36 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. This is a great idea. Don't you remember how successful the high school version of "Oh! Calcutta!" was?!
re: Grey Gardens- new look?
 May 8 2007, 01:00:12 AM
The overall look on the website is fantastic, but if I saw that little blurb on the side of an NYC bus I probably wouldn't be very grabbed. I'd be confused why a Grey Gardens ad looked so much like a Wheaties box. The original poster (fan in face) is so elegant and subtle, and catches the eye just as effectively.
But if new advertising is what the show needs, they might as well give it a shot.

re: Ideas for new musicals - based on plays or books
 May 8 2007, 12:50:18 AM
what about Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" with a gothic southern-flavoured score by Adam Guettell?
re: Worst Broadway Song Ever
 May 7 2007, 11:51:51 PM
Wait-am I the only person who is SHOCKED by the multiple mentions of "Send in the Clowns"?! Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion, this just seems like leagues away from the "Shipoopi"'s and "Something Bad"'s.

I think I'll add "Bride's Lament". I get it, but that doesn't mean I like it.

re: Worst Broadway Song Ever
 May 6 2007, 06:24:35 PM
I aslo hate "Little Lamb".

"Hand for the Hog" from Big River is on my list.
"It's a Hit" from Merrily We Roll Along

Christine Ebersole's attendance history?
 May 3 2007, 12:19:59 PM
Pardon if it's been posted, when I searched all I found was a posting about a week she missed in January.

I'm looking to go to NYC this summer and from what I hear Ebersole's is a performance I cannot miss. I want to make sure I'm not risking anything if I buy tickets in advance, so let me know how often she's out.

Also, any suggestions for shows that can't be missed? I saw Wicked and Rent my first trip ('03), but I'm aiming for some TKTS buys in July. Input is appreciated!

re: Cast Recordings you...
 Apr 18 2007, 03:59:44 PM
a big, fat vote for Bounce.
I'm a huge Sondheim completist and I was very excited to hear a new score, even though I wasn't a fan of the samples I'd heard.
It was a nicely packaged CD and I appreciated the attention that was paid to making such a complete aural document, but

I cannot stand this score! The ryhmes are so contrived and below Sondheim's standards. Or almost anyone's.

I have never regretted a single CD purchase so much.

re: The Next 50 Years of B'way
 Jan 10 2007, 12:32:41 AM
2010: On the fifth anniversary of its wildly successful debut, The Blonde in the Thunderbird finally returns to Broadway.
re: Songs for a Cabaret
 Jan 10 2007, 12:12:41 AM
When a man sings "Could I Leave You?" from Follies it has some great moments that the audience really enjoys.
Depending on your vocal style "King of the World" from Songs For a New World is a great solo and has no real context so is great for a cabaret.
Finally, Company offers a lot of great intimate pieces for men like "Being Alive" and if you have a male guest "Sorry-Grateful".

re: Everything Was Possible: Follies
 Jul 7 2006, 01:47:21 AM
This book is incredible! I sat in front of a Barnes and Noble bookshelf for two hours reading it. I'd like more pictures of the original lavish set but the book is generally well written and doesnt' focus too much on one general thing. If only every Broadway show got such royal literary treatment.
re: Best performance ever at the Tonys?
 Jun 18 2006, 07:01:59 PM
Second Hugh's "One Night Only". So much energy.
Also add another Ragtime and Bernadette in Gypsy.

re: favorite show/part you've done
 Jun 18 2006, 06:59:37 PM
Kurt VonTrapp in Sound of Music was such a good experience.
And I had a ball as a priest in Jesus Christ Superstar.

re: favorite show/part you've done
 Jun 18 2006, 06:59:31 PM
Kurt VonTrapp in Sound of Music was such a good experience.
And I had a ball as a priest in Jesus Christ Superstar.

re: Drowsy Chaperone CD Question
 Jun 17 2006, 04:56:55 PM
It doesn't, because it's not an instrument. It's Sutton "showing off" by blowing into the jars to make music. Watch the performance, you'd get it.
re: best forbidden broadway skits?
 Jun 17 2006, 01:21:38 PM
Oh, and on topic with the thread:
I love the "Stop Cats!-A Chorus Cat" sketch from Strikes Back. It's my favorite recorded one. And I love the Les Miz skit live. The revolving floor move had me in convulsions.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You