KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#1Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/11/08 at 10:44pm

That was an amazing concert that was almost as electric as Town Hall.

A highlight was that Alice and Emily both sang a song unmiked in the tradition of Barbara Cook (this was her cabaret series). Alice's song was Serenity and Emily's was More Than You Know.

The set list was somewhat the same as Town Hall, but there were a few differences. The ones that remained the same included Poor Unfortunate Souls, Little Me, Every Day a Little Death, No One Is Alone, Broadway Baby, Sisters/Ohio, Trouble, Come Up and See Me Sometime, You Have to Be There, I Miss the Mountains, and I Will Never Leave You (with crazy riffing).

Alice also sang a fierce Losing My Mind (as I was also losing my mind watching it) and Somewhere That'S Green (making me long for a recording to replace the one on the LSOH revival CD).

Emily did a comedic opening soprano number penned for Barbara Cook called Here Comes the Ballad. It suited her perfectly along with another torch song from a show that played 2 performances in 1938. If anyone knows the name of that song, I would love to know it. She also did My Brother Lives in San Francisco and as a huge fan of the Elegies... CD, I was very pleased.

They also did There's Always a Woman, cut from Anyone Can Whistle. Very cute staging.

Both were in great voice and the crowd, usually quite stoic at the Kennedy Center, was extremely appreciative. Great night especially for this Alice Ripley fan. I love the range of songs she can pull off- legit to well, not. Emily was great too.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 4/11/08 at 10:44 PM

KChenowethfan
#2re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 5:35pm

No one else went?

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#2re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 6:07pm

I didn't go, but I really enjoyed reading your review!

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 7:11pm

I went, but I live in NYC and have just gotten home.

It was f-ing amazing. Oh my God... I honestly have never heard Alice do "I Miss The Mountains" or "You Have To Be There" any better! And Emily with "Poor Unfortunate Souls"...absolutely spectacular!!

Everything was just...so worth taking the day off and riding 10 hours on the bus both ways (about 5 each). Even getting drenched when the monsoon hit at the stage door was fun and worth it.

Oh and yes...the riffing and general interaction between the two of them was just so much fun. I especially loved the two "fight scenes" they did. :)

It was definitely heaven on earth. I swear, I could have died after "You Have To Be There" and been perfectly happy. Love them both individually and together. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

the_white_page
#4re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 7:20pm

I also went to the concert. Both Alice and Emily were absolutely perfect. Hands down, the best concert I have ever been to - and completely worth the bus ride from NYC to DC and back!

Oh, and it was even worth getting drenched at the stage door when the monsoon swept in.

The entire night was just... amazing.

www.bethleavel.com

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 7:36pm

YEAH baby! :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

the_white_page
#6re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 7:41pm

haha. Phrase of the weekend, I swear.

www.bethleavel.com

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#7re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 8:11pm

Mmmhmm. And a phrase the censors won't let us say on here.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

KChenowethfan
#8re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/12/08 at 11:10pm

jordangirl-

I think I saw you (judging from your profile). You were sitting a couple of rows behind me.

Glad you enjoyed the concert.

I just missed the monsoon and made it home before it hit. Didn't do the stage door thing.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#9re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/13/08 at 8:04am

Oh cool! :) Yeah, I was over on the side. My friend (the_white_page) with me was sitting in the far side seat in the row in front of me. :)

It was so amazing! I didn't even mind getting wet in the monsoon!! :)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 4/13/08 at 08:04 AM

DefyGravity777
#10re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/13/08 at 11:59am

I didn't go but I enjoyed the OP's review.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#11re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/13/08 at 3:17pm

I made the trip down from NY and I loved every second of it. Can they please do another one here in the city?

My favorite thing is usually when Alice sings "You Have to Be There" - but this time, even though that was amazing as usual, her choices of "Losing My Mind" and even better, "Serenity" (which she did at unplugged a few years ago) were mindblowingly beautiful. I'm still reeling from the whole thing. She just crawls inside a song in a way that nobody else can. She lives everything she sings.

Emily Skinner should get some kind of patent on 'Poor Unfortunate Souls' - her performance of that cannot possibly be matched. She's so funny - and what a set of pipes.

The crowd was very classy for the most part and just so appreciative of their talent - it was just a really satisfying experience. I'd love to do the whole thing over tonight.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#12re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 11:00am

Did Emily do "Sleepy Man"?

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#13re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 11:53am

No. Here's the playlist:

"Little Me" ~ Alice and Emily
"Here Comes the Ballad" ~ Emily
"Losing My Mind" ~ Alice
"Every Day A Little Death" ~ Alice and Emily
"No One Is Alone" ~ Emily
"Broadway Baby" ~ Alice
"There's Always A Woman" ~ Alice and Emily
"You Can't Have My Heart" ~ Emily
"I Miss The Mountains" ~ Alice
"Sisters/Ohio" ~ Alice and Emily

Act 2
"Trouble" ~ Alice and Emily
"Poor Unfortunate Souls" ~ Emily
"Somewhere That's Green" ~ Alice
"My Brother Lived in San Francisco" ~ Emily
"Serenity" ~ Alice
"More Than You Know" ~ Emily
"Come Up And See Me Sometime" ~ Emily
"You Have To Be There" ~ Alice (best I've EVER heard it!!!)
"I Will Never Leave You" ~ Alice and Emily followed by CRAZY riffing. :)

Before "Sisters/Ohio" they did the wardrobe issue story, but before that did "I'm Daisy, I'm Violet" and then did it with lyrics made up after the closing...

I'm Crazy
I'm Violent
We are out of a job

We opened the show and got great reviews
Couldn't find out audience, we lose

I'm Crazy
I'm Violent
We only work in twos.

Hysterical.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 4/14/08 at 11:53 AM

the_musical Profile Photo
the_musical
#14re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 12:45pm

"You Have To Be There" ~ Alice (best I've EVER heard it!!!)

oh you've seen her sing it before? isn't it always just wonderful? although for me it's always hard to pick a favorite time i've heard it. by that point in the concert set i'm too emotional to be truly objective. haha.

and wonderboy - she didn't. although i keept holding out hope she would whip it out. to be fair since she sprung 'My Brother Lived in San Francisco' on us, i guess there's no room for complaining.

over all i thought the concert was amazing and here's hoping they bring it to New York.
Updated On: 4/14/08 at 12:45 PM

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#15re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 12:58pm

What a great set! Yeah her "My Brother..." is a good sub for "Sleepy Man" definitely couldn't complain with that!

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#16re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 1:02pm

Well, I've only heard her do it on recordings (legal and otherwise), but of those, Friday was the best I've heard it.

As was "I Miss The Mountains" which I have heard live now 15 times. :)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#17re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 1:02pm

I too was hoping for Sleepy Man but "My Brother" was really good.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight
Updated On: 11/2/08 at 01:02 PM

changinandhow Profile Photo
changinandhow
#18re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 3:57pm

Just a correction to that set list - "There Once Was A Woman" ~ Alice and Emily

It was "There's Always A Woman" that they did. Which was one of my favorite moments, they are hysterical together. Emily whipping out "My Brother Lived In San Franciso" was also another favorite, Lea is one hundred percent correct about Emily being able to sneak up on you with the emotional punch. I can't pick a favorite Alice moment, but I have to say that getting to see her sing "You Have To Be There" live is certainly something that will stay imprinted on my mind for quite awhile. Her unmiked "Serenity" was also a beautiful moment.

I can echo everyone else's sentiments, it was a wonderful concert and I would love to do it all over again tomorrow. Hope they bring themselves to NY (although I wouldn't complain about back to DC either) soon!

Updated On: 4/14/08 at 03:57 PM

suzannefabulous
#19re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 6:31pm

The concert was absolutely incredible, as usual. Like others have said, "My Brother...", "Serenity", and "Losing My Mind" were definitely significant moments for me and so unexpected, it was like being hit by a truck full of emotion. It was a wonderful evening. However, after the show, I saw a woman that I can only assume was attempting to dress up as Diana from "Next to Normal" which was kind of embarrassing as she was way past the age of just being able to laugh it off as a little fangirl that doesn't know any better.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#20re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 6:33pm

Thanks for the correction. :) I was typing quickly over lunch.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 4/14/08 at 06:33 PM

aaaaamy
#21re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 8:54pm

I have to admit I sort of went into this way more excited for Alice than Emily, but I left with a new appreciation for both of them. Emily is hilarious, but "My Brother Lives in San Francisco" almost killed me. And, not to be redundant, but Alice's "Losing My Mind" and "Serenity" were definitely highlights, though I don't think I could pick one single favorite part of the whole night. The whole night was emotional rollercoaster. Parts were hilarious and parts were packed with emo. Just the way I like it. It was perfect and so worth coming from Chicago.

Chrysanthemum62001
#22re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 11:33pm

Aaaaaaaaaaah! I would *kill* (haha) to hear them sing "There's Always a Woman"!!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

the_white_page
#23re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/14/08 at 11:40pm

Oh my God, "There's Always A Woman" was hilarious!

Especially -

Pet.
Lamb.
Dove.
FIIISH.

They were just so incredible on Friday night.

www.bethleavel.com

hockeynut2
#24re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 2:05pm

I was there and talked to both of them after the show. It was a wonderful evening. I wish Emily and Alice would record more.

Listen to this podcast I recorded with Emily at Witches of eatwick at Signature Theatre last year. It's lots of fun! Joel
PODCAST OF EMILY SKINNER AT WITCHES OF EATWICK IN ARLINGTON

Videos