Broadway Unplugged

ReneG2
#1Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:07am

Does anyone know if Town Hall is affected by the strike? I am very much looking forward to the Broadway Unplugged concert tomorrow night (Monday), but I can't find any information on their website or elsewhere as to whether or not it's still going on.

bwayrocks_ca Profile Photo
bwayrocks_ca
#2re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:12am

I would guess that it is not affected by the strike considering that playbill just posted an article about the show.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/112861.html

I know I'll be there.

S.Liling
#2re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:41am

definitely still on. I just stopped by the box office Saturday to make sure. Thank god for this bit of Broadway during the drought. And thanks, bwayrocks_ca for that link to Playbill. I was excited enough about stars like Marc Kudisch, Emily Skinner, Barbara Walsh and Beth Leavel, but I had somehow missed that Andrea McArdle is in it, too! Can't wait until tomorrow.

Tchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
#3re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:08am

They actually didn't announce Andrea until about Monday. I'm excited for tonight!

"Wishes come true, not free..."

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#4re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:42am

I will be there tonight as well and am looking forward to it! Should be a great show with that line-up of talent!

paphillyguy
#5re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:44am

Direct from Scott Siegel - The show will go on.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#6re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/19/07 at 11:30am

Why wouldn't it? It's not a Broadway house, right?

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#7re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:34am

I don't know if I was the only one there but here is the set list in alphabetical (not chronological) order:

Sarah Uriarte Berry - "Somewhere" ("West Side Story")
David Burnham - "Who Will Love Me As I Am?" ("Side Show")
Bill Daugherty - "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat" ("Guys and Dolls")
Willy Falk - "Bring Him Home" ("Les Miserables")
Darius de Haas - "Heaven on Their Minds" ("Jesus Christ Superstar")
Marc Kudisch - "Winner" (cut before opening night of "Steel Pier"); "I Was There" ("The Glorious Ones")
Aaron Lazar - "Something's Coming" ("West Side Story")
Beth Leavel - "Nobody Breaks My Heart" ("Fine and Dandy")
Lorinda Lisitza - "Surabaya Johnny" ("Happy End")
Andrea McArdle - "Everybody Says Don't" ("Anyone Can Whistle")
Michael McElroy - "Free at Last" ("Big River")
Sarah Jane McMahon - "Tonight" ("West Side Story"); "Magic Moment" ("The Gay Life")
William Michals - "If Ever I Would Leave You" ("Camelot")
Paul Schoeffler - "Were Thine That Special Face" ("Kiss Me, Kate")
Emily Skinner - "More Than You Know" ("Great Day")
Martin Vidnovic - "This Nearly Was Mine" ("South Pacific")
Max von Essen - "Who Will Love Me As I Am?" ("Side Show"); "Tonight" ("West Side Story")
Barbara Walsh - "Patterns" ("Baby")
Michael Winther - "Anthem" ("Chess")

Finale - "With a Song in My Heart" ("Spring is Here")

Overall, it was a fantastic evening of entertainment featuring a great mix of well-known songs and long-lost gems. There were a lot of tunes from "West Side Story" because of the 50th anniversary obviously and Michals did "If Ever I Would Leave You" as a tribute to Robert Goulet. It was great hearing some of these songs done without mics for the very first time and to hear the human voice in its natural form.

The afterparty was packed and had great wine and great food. The stars who showed up could not have been more nice. Beth Leavel is just a doll (we were watching similar dresses!) and Aaron Lazar and wife were so talkative and friendly.

paphillyguy
#8re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:40am

It was a great evening. Sarah's somewhere was beautiful, even with her illness (who knew). I have to say I love Marc Kudish. He is great. And the duet between Max and David was awesome.

The only thing that was missing was a great number like "a hard knock life" a few years back. All in all a very nice evening. It was great to see how quiet the audience was in the environment.
Updated On: 11/20/07 at 09:40 AM

the_musical Profile Photo
the_musical
#9re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:43am

that was amazing.

i have to say one of the unexpected highlights for me was hearing willy falk do 'bring him home' and hitting that last note - soft and pure.

plus scott siegel's commentary was great.

Tchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
#10re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:55am

This was my first Broadway Unplugged and I thought it was incredible. My favorite thing is people singing without microphones so clearly I enjoyed this. Everyone was wonderful and I can't wait to go back. What a great evening.

"Wishes come true, not free..."

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#11re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/20/07 at 12:09pm

I agree - it was a great evening, as usual!!! And Marc Kudish always seems to be having too much fun up there!

Great job, Scott Siegel!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#12re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/20/07 at 12:19pm

Ohh, I wish I could have been there for all the West Side Story songs! Sounds like a great night!

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#13re: Broadway Unplugged
Posted: 11/20/07 at 1:17pm

Another great concert! Everyone did an amazing job.

Thanks, again Scott. And feel better!

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Videos