News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for fishdancer23

fishdancer23 Profile Photo
Member Name: fishdancer23
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Watch Highlights from Lupone's Gypsy - now on BWW TV!
 Jul 14 2007, 01:49:33 PM
WOW! I get chills just watching that little bit. Jeez, I wish I were in NYC...They look and sound great. What a cast.
re: Broadway Crush?
 Jul 10 2007, 10:25:34 AM
God, this is like junior high...

Raulito

re: 'For a show that's truly worthy, please rise'
 Jul 9 2007, 03:37:38 PM
I live in a midwest city where people habitually give standing ovations.. often lukewarm applause done while standing. Bleah! I just hate it, and I refuse to participate unless I consider a performance worthy. But it often means seeing nothing but people's behinds during a curtain call.

I, too, prefer the custom in the UK, where standing ovations are rare.

I also hate it when audience members seem to be in some kind of competition as to who can clap first after a performance

re: COMPANY question
 Jul 5 2007, 11:20:39 AM
Since penises have already been mentioned, am I the only one who laughed about the potential symbolism of April's tuba?
 Jul 5 2007, 10:45:37 AM
I think the only wrong answer is that there is just one right answer to this.

Remember, Company is about ambivalence, uncertainty...Like Sorry Grateful, Regretful Happy...

God, I love this show!

Jul 5 2007, 07:20:31 AM
One theory quoted on Sondheim website "the Seagram windows are opaque and you can't see inside"

Another theory from Variety...

http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117965341.html?nav=tonys

re: Seeing 'Company' on closing night.
 Jul 4 2007, 11:20:09 AM
I think that for many shows, laughing/clapping in the expected places is fine. But in Company, Doyle deliberately eliminated some of the places where applause might have ordinarily occurred. To not comply during these moments breaks the fourth wall.

But I just hate it when there are audience members who try to be the first to applaud. After an exquisite moment, I appreciate the one or two beats of silence before applause occurs. This is particularly true after an exquisite vocal mom

re: COMPANY - Closing Performance Stories
 Jul 2 2007, 06:08:35 PM
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories and feelings about yesterday. It makes not being there a little more bearable.

Can anyone describe more about his curtain call speech? And at what point did he stop playing during Being Alive?

Company-NY audiences
 Jun 28 2007, 06:21:43 PM
It may not matter that a non-New York audience won't get every reference and get all the jokes. When this production of Company was at Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, the entire run was sold out. People sat in the aisles (the gangways) on every other step until the theater was filled to the max the fire marshalls allowed, in addition to standing room in the back. Back then , I had no idea who Raul Esparza was, having lost interest in much of Broadway's Mama Mia/Tarzan type offerings. Hey,
Yes.
 Jun 28 2007, 01:54:10 AM
I'm beginning to think that the strategy is to sell season tickets in medium size cities. No big names in the casts. For example, we're getting a production of Camelot here in Cincinnati as part of the series. There are people who subscribe year after year. The show would not necessarily be a big draw as a single show, but people might buy a series subscription to ensure they would get a good seat for Drowsy and Sweeney, which are also part of the series.

Things are different out he

Yes.
 Jun 28 2007, 01:25:09 AM
This is the best news!

I just hope it won't take as long as the ShowBusiness doc to become a finished product. As a project, Company has not been distinguished by any marketing geniuses. I hope someone with influence realizes that there will be more $$$ to be made if a recording is made available while the production is still fresh in people's minds.

Yes.
 Jun 28 2007, 01:25:00 AM
This is the best news!

I just hope it won't take as long as the ShowBusiness doc to become a finished product. As a project, Company has not been distinguished by any marketing geniuses. I hope someone with influence realizes that there will be more $$$ to be made if a recording is made available while the production is still fresh in people's minds.

Bye Bye : Company
 Jun 17 2007, 01:10:21 PM
Company, because this is a classic musical that won't be recreated this way ever again with this special mix of performers. This production will become a reference to anyone who chooses to produce Company in the future, and there will be probably be attempts to emulate some aspect of it.
re: Riedel/Raul--I guess I'll get over it
 Jun 17 2007, 12:53:44 PM
Agree. It made it sound like an old sitcom. Cutesy. Been there...done that.
re: Raul
 Jun 11 2007, 12:23:29 AM
If you want to do something to honor Raul, I suggest giving a donation to Friends in Deed or ASTEP, Mary-Mitchell's charity to bring the arts to children in poverty, in his honor. He's active in both organizations. Details are on Raul's website.
re: What A Shock
 Jun 10 2007, 11:40:02 PM
I am bitterly disappointed in the voting process. Clearly, all of the voters did not see both performances. DHP's part in Curtains is something that a good community theater actor could do. Sadly, I think DHP won on the basis of name recognition.

What Raul did with his role required so much more...The no-name Cuban American guy turned himself inside out and disappeared into Bobby.

For God's sake, it's NOT about the vibrato. Jeez.

re: RANDOM: Raul Esparza's voice
 Jun 1 2007, 02:02:41 AM
I admire his vocal range, his phrasing, and how he can color the sound of his voice to fit the character he playing and what he wants to convey. He has the ability to place his voice in more ways than anyone else I've ever heard. I think his head voice is gorgeous and a vibrato is necessary to support it, or or you'd get an airy "boy soprano" sound. But he can also really belt and add that gravel to it, too. Just imagine if he were on American Idol...you know he'd be able to do all the differ
re: Raul Esparza gets a Sardi’s caricature!
 May 23 2007, 12:59:45 PM
It looks like a high school art class portrait, not a caricature. At best it's blank slate Bobby, but it's definitely not anything about Raul...no eyes.

He must really like that yellow jacket. Do you think it's Armani?

re: JFK or LGA
 May 10 2007, 10:10:14 PM
Fly to Newark and then take the train to Penn station. Easiest of all, I think.
re: Boublil and Schönberg Set for Radio Appearances
 May 8 2007, 02:24:31 PM
I think they were also interviewed on ATW Downstage Center program on XM radio and also available as a podcast.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You