News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Baylink

Member Name: Baylink
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Playbill hunt: Late 90s Les Miz tour
 Jul 28 2010, 10:35:51 AM
I've PMd the couple people who offered, but I figured I'd bump this one last time for effect -- 4 months is long enough, right?

Lining up my shows for '11; Tampa's getting Wicked, West Side, HAiR, and Forbidden Broadway.

And happily, they're all next year, since I got laid off last month. :-}

American Stage St Pete: HAiR in the Park
 Apr 19 2010, 03:35:31 PM
This is going to be interesting.

Day after tomorrow is the premiere of their performance of HAiR... in their traditional spring venue: Demens Landing, the open air park in downtown St Pete.

I understand they're going to try to do the act 1 finale; I gather there was a 10 minute shouting match with an assistant mayor. This should be fun.

Has anyone else ever seen a HAiR performance in the open, anywhere *besides* NYC?

Jewel Cases...are they generic/can they be replaced 'genuinely'?
 Apr 19 2010, 03:07:34 PM
No, there's generally nothing special about jewel cases... which is why no one in their right mind ever has anyone autograph them -- you pull out the libretto for that.

I will note that they come in 3 or 4 levels of quality; if you're going to replace them, spend the money.

I *think* sleevetown.com has the boxes; they certainly have every other damn thing...

Apr 19 2010, 03:05:39 PM
As it happens, I just got clearance from her to set up a fansite for her, which I'll be working on this month. Her fans pop up in the oddest places...

Anyone else ever come up with a program they can spare?

Shameless self-plug
 Mar 11 2010, 10:09:59 AM
Like this?

http://www.tanzdervampire.co.nr

Why do people hate Wicked?
 Mar 11 2010, 10:06:27 AM
Ok... perhaps it's just me (so *many* things are just me), but I think some of y'all might be a bit jaded?

My personal affection for Wicked comes from the *moral*. Yes, there's a moral in there, hidden under all the sugar. I know we're not supposed to point that out -- if you tell the kids it's good for them, they won't want to eat it no matter *how* good it tastes -- but I think the audience for this may skew a bit younger than some musicals, and I think that moral is something they oughtta hear, myself...

If you thought you were a Broadway fan, this guy will put you to SHAME!
 Mar 4 2010, 09:39:57 AM
> Is all that Broadway memorabilia stuff insurable?

In fact, the answer to that question (not that you necessarily really wanted to know, but I'm a geek: I can't help myself is yes: you can insure *anything* if you're willing to pay a high enough premium for it, and let the insurance company inspect the place where's it's stored/displayed.

This is the sort of insurance cover (as our British friends would put it) where Halon, strong doors and windows, and security guards factor into the premium calculation.

But as a favorite SF author once put it, "Lloyds will take either end of any bet". That's what insurance is, you know: "I'll bet you, State Farm, that I can total my car this year, and cost you more than my premiums!"

Heh.

Wicked Tour Ticket Question
 Mar 3 2010, 12:58:24 PM
Note that if the box *is* a Ticketmaster outlet (some are, some aren't), then *they have to charge you all those extra fees anyway* unless you show up in person, even on their own shows.

The venue I used to be production coordinator for was *not* a Ticketmaster outlet for precisely this reason.

'I Say A Little Prayer' Added to Score of PROMISES, PROMISES
 Mar 2 2010, 10:48:05 AM
My personal problem with it is I can't see *her* singing it.

That's an alto song, isn't it?

Rear orch. seats price tag
 Mar 1 2010, 12:08:25 PM
I was in Orch S for HAIR back in August; I don't remember feeling like I was restricted-view... That's only about 6 or 7 rows from the back, as I recall.
Ren-tl
 Mar 1 2010, 11:59:30 AM
So, that joke should actually be, approximately:

"We're going to do a musical about a bunch of impoverished young artists and musicians struggling to survive and create in New York's Lower East Side in the thriving days of Bohemian Alphabet City, under the shadow of AIDS, and we've gotten Barbra Striesand to star in it!"

"What's it gonna be called?"

"Rentl".

How close did they get?

If shows had a money back guarantee....
 Feb 27 2010, 09:22:53 PM
You remember, of course, that this has been done already:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/124425-Dust-Offers-Money-Back-Guarantee-Whats-That-Smell-Has-5-Tix

Did anyone ever drop the other shoe on that?

Feb 27 2010, 01:21:56 PM
Well, the first one came in, in quite nice shape for its age; thanks to the mystery donor.
Betty Buckley at Feinstein's tonight
 Feb 26 2010, 09:32:53 AM
She's been twittering about this; I got the impression it was a 2 or 3 week run. Shame I can't bend my sked to make it up there...
Patti LuPone is upset because she won't play Evita in the revival.
 Feb 26 2010, 09:29:33 AM
Hey! 4 out 5 of the voices in *my* head say "Go for it!"

My T-shirt says so.

Filmed Performances
 Feb 25 2010, 05:19:11 PM
The did that with Calcutta? Really?
A question about the Hair eParty on their website
 Feb 25 2010, 09:03:32 AM
They're required to at least warn you *if they are commercially using the footage/pictures*, if not get a release... and clearly they are.

The legalities would be interesting, but I'm sure the producers have covered them already. And if the FBI's looking for you, what the hell are you doing going on stage at HAiR?

Who's buyin' the tickets?
 Feb 24 2010, 03:16:09 PM
Yeah, but that's not the split I'm really looking for; I'm not at all sure you can infer the degree to which someone considers themselves a Broadway Enthusiast just from where they live.

Now, how many *shows* they go to? Maybe, but the locals have a built in advantage, there.

Feb 24 2010, 10:28:01 AM
Oh, my... it certainly is, isn't it?

Nice get; thanks.

Feb 24 2010, 09:30:15 AM
In a thread about the Dirty Dancing tour, jennamajig notes:
> My mom would love it.

And that leads me to wonder: what's the latest reading on who's buying the tickets, on-Broadway?

Is it theatre lovers like the people who hang out on here?

Or is it Jenna's mom?

(Clearly, I know, it's a mix; my perception is to assume it's about 70/30 "mom's", but I'm curious whether anyone's got better numbers...)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You