pixeltracker

Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!

Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#1Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 7:08pm

Per Bway Understudies.
Updated On: 9/14/09 at 07:08 PM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 7:35pm

someone review later..please :)

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#2re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 7:41pm

I LOVE that every time she goes on there's a thread started.

Yes! Jessica!

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#3re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:03pm

Good luck. Hopefully somebody goes so we can get a review.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:37pm

Poor audience, having to sit through that disaster.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#5re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:52pm

She has gotten a lot better. She sounded amazing at Broadway in Bryant Park, but I have yet to see her live.

DefyGravity777
#6re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:57pm

I wish I could see her at least once. As good as Alice is it's getting harder and harder to sit though her performances.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#7re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:59pm

I absolutly LOVED Jessica when I saw her in August. Her vocals are crystal clear and powerful, and her acting was spot on. I havent seen Alice, so naturally I cant say one is better than the other, but Jessica was something special.

I'll take the wind and soar.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#8re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:04pm

I have a ticket to see the show my first time tomorrow, and I hope Alice is on, but if it's Jessica I'll come and divulge details.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#9re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:12pm

DG777, why?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#10re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:13pm

I LOVED her. She made it believable that the family could be "next to normal."

TheatreFan4
#11re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:27pm

Nick, you are the only one who has had an outright complete negative review of Jessica. I doubt she is THAT bad.

I wish I could see her at least once. As good as Alice is it's getting harder and harder to sit though her performances.

Why do you see a show (repeatedly) if you can't stand the actress playing the lead?
Updated On: 9/14/09 at 09:27 PM

DefyGravity777
#12re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:29pm

"DG777, why?"

She is getting more and more ummmm insane IMO,to put it nicely. I really do like her but Im not the biggest fan and I find myself watching Jenn more. I want to see a different Diana since I saw Alice all 5 times I have seen the show.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#13re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:31pm

I love Alice..but I would love to see Jessica in the role..I love her vocals

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:31pm

There have been MANY reports of Phillips tanking in the role. MANY. (Not from me, as I've always been lucky to see Alice.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TheatreFan4
#15re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 9:32pm

She is getting more and more ummmm insane IMO,to put it nicely.

Diana is insane. Public "Crazy" Alice is a character.

DefyGravity777
#16re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:29pm

"Why do you see a show (repeatedly) if you can't stand the actress playing the lead?"

I never said I can't stand her. I'm just not a huge fan. I do love the show though and will see it. I don't see it repeatedly as some people do. I see it maybe once a month.

TheatreFan4
#17re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:31pm

You said you never saw Aaron who was only gone for 2.5 months & you have seen the show 5 times...

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#18re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:31pm

...I hate to break it to you, but "once a month" qualifies as repeatedly.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

iWannaBEaSedaris Profile Photo
iWannaBEaSedaris
#19re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:33pm

I was at an event recently where Jessica sang COSTCO from the 2nd stage version, and I thought she was marvelous! I has seen Alice 4 times now (and would love to see it again with her) but based on Phillips performance of a CUT song, I would love to see her do the entire show. She seems to have a little more of a soccer mom energy than Alice...

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#20re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:59pm

I think when she said repeatedly she meant as in she hasn't seen it in the range of 15-30 times as some have.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

DefyGravity777
#21re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/15/09 at 1:31am

Exactly Rudy,

I know people that have seen it more than 50 times and that's just the Broadway run.

By repeatedly I mean like a few times a week not once or twice a month. I saw it once in June, once in July, once in August, Kyle's last and Aaron's first which were in Sept. The only thing that is repeatedly there is the 2 shows back to back.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#22re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/15/09 at 6:30am

someone review...please!

modnar
#23re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/15/09 at 7:03am

Ask and you shall receive. :)

I saw the show with Jessica Phillips last night. In summary, I thought she was great!

Overall, I enjoyed her vocals much more than Ripley's. When I saw the show in May with Ripley, her vocals at times were screeching...or simply the wrong pitch.

Jessica was spot-on with the vocals and, at times, every bit as powerful as Alice.

On the non-musical side of her performance, Jessica also did very well. She was very believable as the character and brought a great performance. However, Alice definitely delivered more power and range in this area.

Overall - I enjoyed Jessica's performance more as I was not being distracted by Alice's off-pitch or screeching notes.

By the way - I love this show, and think Jennifer and Aaron amazing. The delivery and emotion from Jennifer is incredibly real, and her and Aaron's vocal performances are breathtaking.

What else do you want to know? :)

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#24re: Jessica Phillips on as DIANA TONIGHT!!!
Posted: 9/15/09 at 3:27pm

modnar

thank you!

Videos