pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:20pm

this thread is dedicated to my mom...

E25
Mamma Mia
New Musical/Long Runnng Show
1/26 2 pm matinee
2 hours and 30 mins with 1 intermission
Tix Price $ 65.00 (thru broadwaybox discount)

PROLOGUE :

When I write my report.. I always include my experiences in life, that's how I set myself apart with the rest of great & talented reviewers here..for I see life as a stage...

So again, spare me this time to share you another experience... in 2004 -when Gay Marriage was legalized in the State of Massachussetts ... Chris & I got married on June 19, 2004....the same day we met in 1994 in College in Columbia, MO.

My mother came to our wedding...I was lucky to have a family that's very supportive. My mother had me when she was only 17 yrs old...(my dad was 17 yrs old too) So I basically grew up with my parents. It's her birthday today... and I am forwarding this thread to her. Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

She lives in Los Angeles now.. I wish we can see the show with her on her b-day, but nevertheless.. she was with us in spirit...so we brought a proxy..Chau (Chris' co- worker, friend and another mother figure to us) Chau actually came with us in NYC to see THE RITZ, which unfortunately the thread got deleted last October.

Some things are just worth revisiting..Mamma Mia is the mother of all the jukebox musicals? Is it worth revisiting it with the new cast or see it for the first time...

Things I Like about the Musical

1. Carolee Carmelo- definitely first on my list. Her version of "The Winner Takes It All" really need to be recorded. She belted the last few notes of that song and everyone in the audience was yelling .."Bravo" It's nice to see Carolee sing some pop songs and dance. It was a treat!

ONE THING I WILL MENTION: We saw the 2 pm show and we were waiting outside the stage door, almost everyone came out already. Carey Anderson came out last and signed all our playbills & to get food outside. Later she came back to the stage door, probably to stay in for the 8 pm show.. She asked .. Are you guys all set? we told her were waiting for Carolee..she told us ..she'll tell her.. after 5 mins. Carolee came out and thanks everyone for coming to the show and staying out in the cold.. she signed everyone's playbill and pose with everyone. She was such a nice person to do that..Now she has a fan for life. I thought I mention that. Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

Thanks Carey too..

*****************NOT FOR MY MOTHER TO READ Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics! **********************

2. Andy Kelso (as Sky) Okay.. I am not going to lie. One of the reason that I revisit the show is to see Andy Kelso. My god! that guy have a gorgeous body. Modesty aside... I guess I can say now that when it comes to eye-candies (men without a shirt) on Broadway... I always inform you guys... well .. inquiring minds ..wont be disapointed. The guy have a six pack-abs... that number LAY ALL YOUR LOVE ON ME was pretty delicious... he was undressed down to his swimming trunks...Yes !
Worth the $65.00- I paid. If that's what youre looking for..buy a tix now and I GUARANTEE- you wont be disapointed ! The picture below that I posted does not even do good justice bec. he was lying down..you can't really see his abs..

-About his singing & acting- I'm sorry I cannot comment bec. I was not paying attention at all..I was just focus on one thing. FORGIVE ME, guys ! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

(fyi- he came out with his swimming trunks TWICE in the show..now that's the one that needs another ENCORE at the end-iMO)

Andy Kelso as Sky

***********OKAY TO READ BELOW, MOM*****************************

3. Special shout-out to Ben Gettinger as Pepper (graduate of Boston Conservatory)
I just love Ben. Nice guy, great dancer! I am happy for you Ben on your Broadway-debut. Also to the 2 Filipino cast members- Gerard Salvador & Isaac Calpito.
Break a leg, guys!

Let me add that I thought... Judy McLaneas Tanya & Gina Ferrall as Rosie was pretty good in their respective roles..

4. Staging...love that disco-ey pebbles that lit up, I actually love the two sets that looks like a stone white house that you see in the greek isle like Mykonos.

5. Lighting was pretty good.

6. Encore- who wont love the 3 encores number- Mamma Mia Dancin' Queen & Waterloo. You know this show is really a crowd pleaser. Everyone seems to have a great time after the show.

The Encore :
Judy McLane, Carolee Carmelo & Gina Ferrall
(photo by Ben Strothmann)

Things I Did Not Like About the Musical & my experience!

1. The audience (nothing to do with the musical)-my god! for my 16 yrs experience going to Broadway. This is probably one of the worst audience crowd I had encountered. These were my problems with them..

a. came in late (after prologue) and we have to stand up and get out of our aisle to let them in...now since when are they allowing for this to happen?

b. talking & eating candies (sour patch kids, mike's & ikes-candies they sell inside)
during the show... someone even hush at them..shhhhh! during the show.

-making noise with their candy wrapper.

c. camera flashes during the show..you know I love to take photos but I KNOW Broadway house are NOTORIOUS for this rules.. they will YELL at you! I DONT EVEN DARE !!!!! I DONT TAKE ANY PHOTOS when I am in my chair anymore. I keep it put away. There were instances in the show that flashes came out....

(one good thing though.. these people do not stage door, so there were no line at the stage door)

2. The book- I thought they never really tell you who's the real father of Sophie (Does it matter?) and also after the fight of Sky & Sophie about throwing a big wedding... Sky walked out and after that- the couples are okay now ..without explaining what happen. Okay.. let's just go to another number.

IN SUMMARY:

Mamma Mia is a musical just made to please people , nothing deep, just plain fun. We had a great time bec. we were not expecting anything. I am not very familiar with ALL the music of ABBA, but after the show... I start humming the songs..very infectious... If you have not seen it.. I will advise to go see it bec. its a fun musical!

I am sure it will run for years...everyone seems to love it. believe it or not.. my aunts & uncles have seen it before me... and they told me taht they all love it.. I was a bit on the fence about it in 2001 bec. its a juke box musical....but I always go with an open-mind on every show I see ...I just try to loosen up and I ended up liking it.

I can't wait to see the movie version this summer. Now let's go back to my mother again... btw..

*********************SPOILERS*************************

like Sophie ...my mom... she gave me away at my wedding.....

********************END OF SPOILERS*******************

Score : 6/2- I LIKE IT ! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

E N C O R E ! E N C O R E ! E N C O R E !

To my mom again...

...who sacrifice a lot for us....for a such a young age, she became my mother & the queen in my life...I love you, mama and this song is for you.....

You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen

The Winter Garden

Broadway side:

me, chau (chris' -coworker & friend at work) & chris

7th Avenue side (where the stage door is located)

The Lobby

During Intermission:
Group Picture

Production Photos
(from Mamma Mia the musical website)

2007 BROADWAY CAST

The Playbill

Stage Door Photos

Chris, Ben Livingston (as Harry Bright ) & Chau

Pearce Bunting ( as Bill Austin)

Ben Gettinger (as Pepper)

Chris, Ben Gettinger & Chau

Me & Andy Kelso (as Skye)

Me, Andy Kelso & Chau

Me & Carey Anderson (as Sophie)

Miss Mamma Mia herself, Carolee Carmelo

Chris, Me & Carolee Carmelo

Updated On: 5/14/08 at 07:20 PM

*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:26pm

Well a big happy birthday to you're mom Jaystarr! Thank you so much for posting this great experience re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:28pm

Thanks Jay for the wonderful post!

I don't understand why everyone always picks on Mamma Mia. Sure, the book is lousy overall, but it is pure fun. I've enjoyed it the two times I did see it. I went in a little worried because everyone says it is so bad, but really, it isn't!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 1/27/08 at 07:28 PM

jerseyboyschick2 Profile Photo
jerseyboyschick2
#3re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:29pm

AWWWW!!!! Your mom sounds like one amazing lady. Hope she had an awesome birthday:)

Thanks for the taking the time to post this great report. Looks like everyone had a good time!

"You will understand that Bww is a forum that allows Theatre people, Fussy old Queens, and chorus boys of Mama Mia to release their everyday life's frustration by being Snarky, B**chy, and sarcastic." -BwayBoundJoe

Yankeefan007
#4re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:33pm

Jay, whenever my enthusiam decreases, all I have to do is read one of your threads and it just skyrockets.

Thanks for posting, as always.

loveplays
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:43pm

What great pictures Jaystarr. I have to admit that Carolee is the best. I org. saw this in Vegas with the original Vegas cast, and i loved it. I then went to see it in NY with Carolee and I was blown away. My next trip out I took my partner John because I thought he also need to see Carolee and he also blown away by her performance. I agree she needs to be recorded singing Winner Takes It All. Its a fun show but the NY crowd is zzzzzzzzzzz. Both my partner and I were the only ones up dancing during the mini concert at the end in our section.

george95
#6re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:47pm

wow Jay that was an awesome review---when my mom and sister visited me back at Christmas 2001 they wanted to see Mamma Mia and it was sold out----and I still haven't seen it! Hopefully 2008 will change that.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:56pm

George: Luckily it is easier to get tickets nowadays to Mamma Mia...good luck, hope you get to see it - you'll have a blast!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#8re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:57pm

A wonderful review, by a wonderful guy, with a wonderful mother, about a wonderful show !!!! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#9re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 8:11pm

Great review as always, Jaystarr! Your boundless enthusiasm almost make me want to see the show again.

Well, almost...

(I think I'd rather schedule that root canal first!) re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

Great picts, and best wishes to your Mom! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 9:55pm

I love this show. It makes me feel better when I am in a crappy mood. I too know it has a bad book. But, realize that it is just pure fun and tries to be nothing else.

Jaystarr,

Great review as always. I enjoy the photos as well. It is clear that you took time to do all this for us here on BWW and I thank you.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

HBBrock
#11re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 10:26pm

Jay, great post and great pics! Thanks for sharing your experience and personal story with all of us.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#12re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 10:53pm

This thread made me tear up a little. What a wonderful son you are. Your Mamma Mia! is a very lucky lady.

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#13re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:29pm

I love hearing stories about supportive moms! mom

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#14re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:28am

Greekmusicalfan said it best... wonderful, wonderful & wonderful. Thanks for the great review, stories & pics. That's why we love you Jaystarr.

This show is pure entertainment. Now I think it's time for me to return to Mamma Mia. After having seen it 3 times (it's been at least 4 years since my last visit) I think I need to see it again. Just for CC & AK alone, it may be worth a re-visit.

Thanks again J re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

broadwayjim42
#15re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:47am

I have to get back to the show as well. I have to be honest...Dee Hoty and a lacklustre touring company put a very serious dent in my affection for the show...but the buzz on Carolee is so good that I may have to pay a visit.

Besides, she's a local girl...SUNY Albany has posters all over the place of distinguished graduates and Carolee is one of them...class of '83.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#16re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 9:57am

Wow. Thank you so much for this thread, Jaystarr! I am absolutely thrilled that you loved Carolee and the show. I have only seen this show twice (both with Carolee) and I loved it both times because of her...and it was nice to see pictures from your wedding too!

PS: You were in college in 1994? I thought you were around my age!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#17re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:07am

Thanks guys !

I am really serious to say that I hope they record MAMMA MIA since they have a great new cast. I wish there's a way to you guys can hear Carolee Carmelo's The Winner Takes It All- its really to die for.

Since its Mamma Mia and its a story about strong, independent women & a wedding.I will post several pics from my Wedding Scrapbook (which I made -sort of tribute to my mom) I wrote a poem for her.. I am not a poet, okay? It's kinda corny..but It came from my heart.

Some people have asked me about my scrapbook, so I will post some of it from my Wedding (not from my Broadway Scrapbook- I have tons of scrapbooks) somehow I will make it for days and I cannot stop doing it...I always have an urge to create something....

Well.. I decided to make it myself, instead of paying a photographer and compiled a wedding book for us, besides I thought it would really be special if I make it myself to add my inner thoughts & special touch on it. Sorry cannot post all the pages.. It has 200 pages. I made it from 2004-2005 ( a whole year)

The wedding was put together for 1 month only since it was legalized on May 11,2004 and we wanted to do it on June 19,2004. so I looked a bit stressed in some of my pics...

re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!

THE COVER PAGE

PROLOGUE

HERE COMES THE GROOM PAGE:
Actually we marched together at the same time, since it has two entrance (Flag Pole at Boston Public Garden) and we met in the middle.

MY MOM's PAGES

Updated On: 1/28/08 at 10:07 AM

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#18re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:45am

Andy Kelso makes me feel funny in my pants.

I don't think they NEED to tell us who Sophie's real dad is? Wouldn't that involve them writing into the book "Sophie's trip to the doctor's office with her 3 dads for a blood test..." That doesn't really fit into this happy/yay/greek island vibe. You know?

The ending fits the musical perfectly. If you pay attention closely to the book, there are hints everywhere that Sophie needs to live her life right now, in her early 20's. This isn't the time to be getting married. Her Mom's whole monologue about "I left home at 17... It's been hard, but worth it... It was all for you..." One of the Dad's asks Sophie if this is really what she wants. I think Sophie and Sky have a bit of dialogue about "Is this what we really want?" And then, "Under Attack" brings up her cold feet. So the end ties up loose ends nicely. Donna overcomes her demons and Sophie chooses to explore the world, with her man.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

Rentfan931
#19re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 2:53pm

Loved the review and the pictures. I think this may be the best review you have posted so far. Reading this makes me want to revisit the show and check out Judy and Carolee.

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#20re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 3:02pm

Thanks for the awesome review/recap!

Say what you will about Mamma Mia but it has the power, like no show I've seen before or since, to make the large majority of th audience lose their mind in the final ten minutes. I've seen men in business suits who were dragged there by their wives jumping up and down dancing in the aisles at the end of the show. It really is an infectious show...

And I'll second the gripe about the audience. Every time I've seen it in NYC I have been totally shocked at how dissrespectful the audience is...especially where food is concerned. The last time I was in standing room and the people in the seats in front of me got out two huge bags of cheese corn and passed it around for the first thirty minutes of the show....CHEESE CORN!

Anyway....glad to hear Mamma Mia is still going strong. And Carolee is the best Donna ever.

broadwayjim42
#21re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 3:32pm

Even better than Louise?

Heresy:)

Now I really have to go.

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#22re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 6:35pm

Great review. Thanks for sharing the photos and story of you're wedding and about your mom.

Mamma Mia is one of my guilty pleasures and I'll see it again on 2/27. Love the cast. My favorite is Carey Anderson

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#23re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 6:50pm

What a lovely thread! Thanks for sharing this with us, jaystarr! (And happy birthday to your mom!)

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#24re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on MAMMA MIA (new cast) with stage door pics!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 6:55pm

I saw Mamma Mia on 1/19 and I enjoyed it as well. I am so mad i can't see all of your pics in this thread, stupid BWW, lol. But thanks for posting.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!