pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:22pm

Special Guest : RyToast & Wanna Be A Foster.

Special shout-out to frog_fans85 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE!!!

E33
South Pacific
Musical Revival
Vivian Beaumont Theater
3/15 2 pm matinee
3 hours (with 1 intermission)
Tix Price : $65.00

INTRO:

Last week... I made plans with RyToast to see Next to Normal (actually supposed to be last 3/1 but I cancelled it bec. of the snow storm in Boston & CT) and lunch with RyToast, Without A Trace & Wanna Be a Foster, but due to unavoidable circumstances...we had to cancelled it on the last minute. Though these two sweet guys, RyToast & Wanna Be A Foster made it up to me this weekend in SOUTH PACIFIC. RyToast came to the show with me and Wanna Be A Foster -since he will be seeing the show this week, did not see the show, though ate lunch with us before the show, meet us again after the show to stage door and later ate dinner with us before I catch my bus back to Boston...so I got home very late 11:30 pm... but it was all worth it & fun hanging-out with my BWW friends... Too bad..they have to plan around my schedule and I really appreciate it guys! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)

Everyone knew the story of South Pacific..so I wont really give a synopsis anymore, Though I was glad that I saw this full-broadway revival with a 20 piece orchestra.

WARNING : CONTAINS SPOILERS

Things I LIKE about the Musical

1. The 30-piece orchestra. I love it. The Overture was a treat! You know how the other half of stage on the Beaumont is thrusted & its protruding towards the audience. The beggining was really GRAND! The curtain was a type-written account on South Pacific. ( a letter of a soldier back home- I think? ) The show begins the Overture. The thrust stage (hard-wood floor) opened up to reveal below it... viola!
"the 30 piece- orchestra all dressed in black formal tie!!!! " The whole audience was clapping...The Overture lasted to 10 mins... the best 10 minute overture of my life!

2. Loretta Ables Sayre- as bloody Mary. At the stage door.. WBaF told me twice.. oh my god! she loves you sooo much! Well- her performance was brilliant! she has a beautiful voice specially in her two number Bali Ha'I & Happy Talk... she is very funny in Bloody Mary number... I wish she gets a nomination...Me & RyToast during the intermission was discussing how great she was! everytime she's onstage..

Okay. I already love her... till I met her after the show... She asked me if I am Filipino and I told her... Yes! and she spoke to me in our native Tagalog language.. and I told her how I like her performance in the show...and she was hugging and kissing me.. I had 7 pictures with her ( I did not post it all) she is a terribly NICE LADY! I told her..that now... I .....Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures) her!

I wish she gets recognize by the Tony commitee for her role as Bloody Mary..btw- there's another Filipina lady in the cast...EMILY MORALES... I should have cast on SOUTH PACIFIC as a Tonkinese.. people wont know the difference! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)

and Loretta Ables-Sayre could pass as my mother...plus I got to make out with Matthew Morrison... lol! I am just kiddin! I LOVE YOU-LORETTA !

3. Kelli O' Hara- beautiful voice... I enjoyed everytime she sings..plus she did a double flip on I'm Gonna Wash My Hair and guys...she wears a blue 2 piece swimming suit!! Acting-wise- she is really great!

4. Matthew Morrison- I just LIKE him.. that's it! from Hairspray to Piazza .. I am a fan of his! he sings Younger than Springtime beautifully and yes.. he was shirtless the whole time... what a nice lean bod! Youve Got To Be Carefully Taught- was a good one to.. he just have a beautiful voice!

BTW: He is the only one with a shirtless scene.. All the sailors are wearing tank-top now and t-shirt and according to Noah Weisberg- they removed it already, but it was on the earlier previews... though I will mention...that there is a NUDE SCENE of two sailor boys (butt-naked) on the beggining of I'm Gonna Wash ...number...they ran on the back of the stage butt-naked...inquiring minds need to know where you sit... remember.. its a thrust stage! (thought I mention that)

5. Paul Szot- All I can say for now is I really love his baritone voice. he sings Some Enchanted Evening very very pretty!

6. The Scenic Design:

Its just beautiful, though I have some complains, but not on my DONT LIKE List... the whole stage is dominated by the background...an ocean view, a hill with one lifesize coconut tree..it kinda looks like this...

and there's blinds (from where I am sitting looks like made up of bamboo) and they go up and down the stage from above & multiple layer and when a character enters..its serves as a door...very nice!

-The Bali Ha'I number is really nice...when Bloody Mary is singing the song a projected image of an island appeared out of the "mist"...very beautiful!

The Background Scenes also changes from Day to Dawn to Night...looks something like this...

-though there's things I really did not care much (but not on my DISLIKE list) about scenic designn .. when they start bringing chairs & tables by carrying it onstage..but I know there's limitation on the Beaumont Theater bec. of the thrust staging and they cannot have them on an elevator trap door bec. the Orchestra is underneath and the stage thrust floor opens to reveal them..and I did not like the scene of the army office where they have this map going down..thought it was boring and dry to look at...

-in the ACT 1 ..Emile's plantation which was beautfully done...the arches of his houses coming from above with blinds and coconuts tree on it...though it did not change for 40 mins or so....I was like...okay I need a change of scenery! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)

-They have a WWI airplaine onstage, military barracks, drums (water container) shower's stalls which they were all just pushing it onstage...I did not like it neither..

7. The Lighting- specially how they shine on the bamboo blinds..and they scene were Cable slept with Liat (on the floor of the thrust stage) Bloody Mary was on the background very well lit...almost a dark & conniving scene from a horror movie!

(Additional: I love the boat scene that's moving across the stage during the "another" Bali Ha'I reprise- I thought its neat..)

Things I DID NOT LIKE about the Musical

1. Too many reprises- don't get me wrong I LOVE R&H but I got soo bored of too many reprises. I think Bali Ha'i was reprise 4-5 times.. Some Enchanted Evening was reprise at least 4 times...and the I'm Gonna Wash reprise in ACT 2 ...when Emile proposed to Nellie was I thought..kinda uncalled for alreaday....

I do like 1 reprise number THE HONEY BUN reprise when all the ensemble dressed in military clothes are marching...I like it.. its cute! RyToast told me that he thinks all the songs w/ the exeption of 1 all got reprised!

2. The chemistry between Nellie Forbush (Kelli O' Hara) and Emile (Paulo Szot) though both great singers, but as a team kinda sucks! (sorry to say) there was really no magic between them two...I love listening when they sing together..I can almost close my eyes (and fall asleep..lol! ) bec. they sounded soo beautifully but they Do NOT make Some Enchanted Evening onstage- by just looking at them... RyToast even mention.. they barely onstage together... most of the time.

3. I got soo bored in ACT 1- its was too long. Its 1 hour and 30 mins.. I almost fall asleep..I even went to the bathroom during ACT 1 (I'm sorry!- I have been holding it
for sometime) -its good were sitting on the aisle..so I did not disturb anyone..It's good its that drab scene with that military map.. so I did not miss anything!
Act 2 really pick up for me.. I like the HONEY BUN number till the finale.

Summary:

In general..I like the show...but I wont rave as much as I LIKE Sunday in the Park...
I guess.. I got bored in ACT 1 ..tooo many reprises and somehow that whole RACIST thing is a bit outdated..though I knew when it came out in 1950.. I heard a story that during their New Haven previews...audience were upset with the YOU'VE GOT TO BE CAREFUL song and R&H was told to remove it during previews and they responded... that is the whole point of the show... Watching it now...It does not seems soo shocking now...btw... I always have this question? Why does Bloody Mary wants Cable to marry her daughter? (almost to the point of pimp-ing her) is it bec. she views Caucasian as more superior race than Polynesian or Tonkinese? I was just bothered by her motives...Can someone shed a light on this?

Though I will say for those who loves Rodgers & Hammerstein's music and a full orchestra..you guys wont be disappointed and it will whisper in the wind of the sea:
"Here am I, your special island! Come to me, come to me!"

Thanks,

J*

Score : 7/3- I LIKE IT! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)

The Vivian Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Theater

Lincoln Theater under renovation

The Vivian Beaumont Theater

The Merchandise

Production Photos
(per playbill)
https://www.playbill.com/news/article/115885.html

Kelli O'Hara as Nellie Forbush

Paulo Szot as Emile de Becque

Lin Jun Li as Liat & Loretta Ables-Sayre as Bloody Mary

Danny Burstein as Luther Billis & Noah Weisberg as Professor

Matthew Morrison & Lin Jun Li in "Younger Than Springtime" number

The Male Ensemble in "Bloody Mary" or "There's Nothing Like a Dame" (?) number.

The Playbill

Stage Door Photos
(Special Thanks to Wanna Be A Foster for taking all my photos with the cast)

Paulo Szot

Matthew Morrison

Noah Weisberg

Kelli O'Hara

and Miss Loretta Ables Sayre

MY PHOTO MOMENT : courtesy of Wanna Be A Foster-he thought it was a great idea to take a picture while I still have that lipstick in my checks..

MY Autographed Playbill

NEXT WEEK : My 10/10 Report on LuPONE's GYPSY.

Updated On: 5/14/08 at 04:22 PM

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:26pm

haha, thanks Jay. Now I'll read your report.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:28pm

Thanks Jay...but I think in the second part it must read, thing's I didn't like, as opposed to did.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#3re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:32pm

Just about to post that, Blaxx.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#4re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:38pm

Thanks guys! I just re-edit it... you guys..already know my formula...second part DID NOT LIKE.. hahaha...

J*

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:40pm

Jay, that was an INCREDIBLE review !!! Is the program available yet ? Was the theater completely full ? Did you get a look at the cancellation line ? It looks completely sold-out on Telecharge every day and I am soooo anxious I won't find tickets when I'm there !! Sorry for the many questions !

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:42pm

Seems like a nice cast - but an hour and a half for the first act?! Eek! I had a resolution to see every new musical and new musical revival, but as good as this show is...well, I better be open minded.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#7re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:49pm

Greekmusicalfan- I dont know if there's a program yet. I do remember seeing 7 different t-shirt styles, keychain, magnets, the DVD movie-the old movie, OBCR with Mary Martin, the novel, poster, mugs... I do remember seeing a some sort of a book kinda souvenir..not sure, if that's the program though...

Blaxx- I cant wait for the Revival Recording specially with the 30 piece orchestra.. I was really really shocked when they reveal the orchestra...everyone was wearing a tie and the whole audience was clapping!!! oh my god ! that was beautiful...Pailo Szot has this beautiful baritone voice and his Some Enchanted Evening is to die for!

J*
Updated On: 3/17/08 at 04:49 PM

Yankeefan007
#8re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:51pm

I found all of the "book scenes" to drag - but that's because I found most of the cast to be stiff. Granted, it was something like the 6th preview and they were still finding their sealegs.

Thanks for posting, Jay. Love the photos, and the suppliment diagrams of the set. And that's a lovely photo of you and Kelli O'Hara. I didn't figure any of them would actually leave the theater during their break.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#9re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:52pm

the same thing happened at Gypsy when they showed the orchestra during the Overture

Ed_Mottershead
#10re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:56pm

Re: length of Act One. NOT a wise move to have a lot to drink (alcohlic or non-) beforehand. Fortunately, I know the show well enough (and have an aisle seat) to get going just before the first act curtain line. Otherwise, I'd be doomed.

BroadwayEd

jerseyboyschick2 Profile Photo
jerseyboyschick2
#11re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:56pm

Thanks for postingre: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)

"You will understand that Bww is a forum that allows Theatre people, Fussy old Queens, and chorus boys of Mama Mia to release their everyday life's frustration by being Snarky, B**chy, and sarcastic." -BwayBoundJoe

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#12re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:10pm

Yeah.. I did not realize it was that long..meaning ACT 1 is 1 hour and 30 mins.

Oh my god. I forgot to mention the CURTAIN CALL.. When they call came out to bow and they form a line...the thrust part of the stage opened again while the whole cast was standing and being drag by the thrust stage floor and they all pointed at the Orchestra (below them)...it was soo GRAND!

Another thing: Those two kids are so cute.. specially the DITES MOI song in the beggining...it was soo cute.. till they reprise a hundred times...that's when it gets old! lol!

Danny Burstein- There was a part of the There's Nothing Like a Dame that he sounded like Adolpho in The Drowsy Chaperone.

Yankeefan- yeah..all the cast came out- I was suprised.. they were very nice and took time to signed everyone's playbill and pose with them in a picture...we actually had a very good "group photo: with Kelli O' Hara. We missed Nick Mayo, no one knew who he is except me... I was telling Wanna Be A Foster.. hey..that's Nick Mayo! he just left bec. no one wants his autographed... I was with Paulo Szot...so I was not able to ask him in time..
We had a blast talking to Noah Weisberg and yes... he made us touch his hair! btw- thanks for your instructions on how to get to Beaumont Stage door.. it was very helpful.. I printed your pm and was reading it after the show...it was my map. its exactly where you describe it.. its on the glass door exit on my right on the same level of Mitzi Newhouse Theater.

J*

Updated On: 3/16/08 at 05:10 PM

#13re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:13pm

very sweet!
im looking forward to the cast recording!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#14re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:19pm

I'm so excited to see this in June!

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#15re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:25pm

Wonderful as always! Glad I am seeing this in May. Sounds breathtaking. Everytime someone talks about the overture and the orchestra, I get even more excited!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#16re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:33pm

Thanks! Can't wait for your 10/10 report on Gypsy!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#17re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:38pm

I'm cracking up over this post ALTHOUGH Paulo Szot should sue you for those awful photos- he looks like a cross between Xavier Cougat and John Waters in those mug shots!

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

wickedmenzel318 Profile Photo
wickedmenzel318
#18re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:56pm

Sounds amazing when is the cast recording suppose to be released?

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#19re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 6:43pm

From Jaystarr's original post:
"The curtain was a type-written account on South Pacific. ( a letter of a soldier back home- I think? )"

The words on the screen are from Michener's 'Tales of the South Pacific', the book upon which the musical based....

The powerful themes of war, love and race are both important historically and profound today. The important 'war room' scenes are necessary to portray the bitter hard-fought battles and capture the feeling of the war and that locale. Sher has stated that he is trying to create the mood in that theatre of war. The logistics, the emotions and the serious work to be done.

I love the use of the blinds in the set - filtering light and the effect that evokes the island purity and tranquility, in the middle of a 'stormy sea'.

That said, I think they need to tighten up the first act, primarily by simplifying the set. The amount of time spent moving pieces around adds length which becomes, at times, tedious.

But it's a beautifully created production that marks South Pacific as a national memory and an expression of survival and growth.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 3/16/08 at 06:43 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#20re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:24pm

NYadgal- Thanks for that wonderful insight. I did not even realize that the whole scenery is supposed to evokes the island purity in the middle of the stormy seas- I like that!

and the curtain...now that you siad.. it makes sense..I do remember an account on the island...about the Tonkinese girl....etc...

re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)

also- I may add..that there's a lot of cigarette smoking in the musical- I have noticed that..

Wickedmenzel- I dont think that they have recorded the album yet.. I can't wait. This cast revival should really be preserved!

J*
Updated On: 3/16/08 at 07:24 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#21re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:27pm

That song list is sad. I can't believe they're not using the Royal National Theatre revisions. Especially since Lincoln Center has worked with them in the past remounting the RNT's production of Carousel for Broadway. I like the show a lot better with it opening with "Bloody Mary" "Nothin' Like a Dame" and "Bali Ha'i" and then going on to the first scene with Nellie and Emile. It also has "My Girl Back Home" more appropriately placed after "Honey Bun" in act two so as to alleviate the length of the first act and drive home the "I almost forgot..." lyric. I also enjoyed the inclusion of "Now is the Time" which had never been in any production prior or since. It's a shame the first Broadway revival has to be so unimaginative in terms of revisiting the text.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#22re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:30pm

Glad you had fun, and got to be that close to Matthew. Thanks for sharing!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#23re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:36pm

What does the red shirt and the shirt on the far left say (the merch)?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#24re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SOUTH PACIFIC (with stage door pictures)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:39pm

The Red Shirt is about Bali Ha'I.... kinda like a 80's retro Hawaii t-shirt.

The shirt on the far left is a shampoo with a bubble that says... I'm gonna wash that man outta my hair..

J*
Updated On: 3/16/08 at 07:39 PM