pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY (with stage door photos)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:28pm

SPECIAL SHOUT-OUT for Jeffreydog & tobiasragg.

Happy Birthday!!! I saw the show on your special day and this report is dedicated to you guys!

E34
Gypsy
Musical Revival
St. James Theater
3/22 2 pm matinee
3 hours (1 intermission)
Tix Price: $ 117.00 (Orchestra Row E )

INTRO:

Curtain up! Light the lights!

Finally Mama Rose came back on Broadway again..and I really prepare for this one. I shelled out $117.00 for an Orchestra Center Seat Row E to see Miss Patty with all her glory! The night before... I cant even sleep.. I was soo excited to see this revival bec. GYPSY is probably my favorite musical of all time! Yes! My Numero Uno. I knew all the songs by heart.. Hell! I even worked out with the OBCR at the gym. I owned all the GYPSY recordings- with Ethel Merman- Angela Lansubury -Tyne Daly- Bernadette Peters and even Better MIdler- that's how much I love the show!

I saw a funny gay movie called "Trick" and in one scene the gay broadway wanna be composer played by Christian Campbell told his trick that they dont write great musicals anymore... musical theater is dying breed.... the last great musical was GYPSY! I thought it was the funniest & campiest joke I've ever heard... One time I watched Will & Grace with my gay friends from the gym. Karen (Megan Mullaly) told Jack (Sean Hayes) the famous line.."Youre not getting 88 cents from me, Rose! " I was laughing soo hard... none of my friends got the joke... I told them... its from GYPSY!

I guess.... The wanna be composer from TRICK is right...probably the musical theater is a dying breed amongst young gay men... How in the world... They dont know anything about GYPSY?!

WARNING : CONTAINS SPOILERS...

Things I LIKE about the musical: (out of 10) I will start with my favorite..

1. Patti LuPone- for those you say that Patti is playing LuPone in GYPSY not Mama Rose. I suggest you see the show again at St. James. I am glad to say that Miss Patti has grown into her role.. SHE IS MAMA ROSE! She lost some weight (judging from her photos at City Centers) and Miss Patti looks fabulous!

Her entrance from the audience when she yelled out.."Sing Out Louise" made people from the audience stand up and clap...Miss Patti gets the role so perfectly and I think she got the TONYS for Lead Actress in her bag now!

Her Rose's Turn was something else- I never saw an actress sing a song in three emotions- upset- getting crazy/vulnerable to her glorious...everything coming up Roses! The whole audience clapped for 5 minutes & she was bowing & blowing kisses to the audience.. Laura Benanti even had to wait a few minutes to enter.. that's how POWERFUL is her ROSE'S TURN. I love the new ending-- after her dialogue w/ Gypsy Rose Lee...she looked up to her ROSE MARQUEE as it flickers...curtain down... I love it....

2. Laura Benanti- her Louise was a revealation and yes... she is a SURE WIN for Featured Actress too ..she changes from emotional insecure Louise to sexy Gypsy Rose Lee in one song...what a transformation! I cannot say anything bad about her in this role...she is excellent!

Laura Benanti as Gypsy Rose Lee

3. The Orchestra: I was siting in Row E Center... even before the show started.. when they turned off the lights..I single-handedly clapped and everyone followed my clapping..They lifted the red curtains...

to reveal the FULL ORCHESTRA to play the OVERTURE... I remember clearly there were two screen panel (see-thru) curtains... the 1st one was lifted during the You'll Never Get Away From Me -part of the Overture... the strings are playing in perfect harmony...I was having goose bumps... then the whole stage turned BLUE like the one in the playbill color-- then when they hit the first note of Everything Coming Up Roses' the whole horn section were blowing soo bombastically.. the stage turned RED and I can still hear the trumpets belting out the last few notes of the Overture up to now. I literally had a hair raising experience when they played the first few notes of Everything Coming Up Roses and I can still hear those trumpets...What a joy!

4. Leigh Ann Larkin- I thought the word of mouth was so focused on Laura Benanti, that we forget Leigh. I thought she was really really good.. Her vocal command was powerful..she belted out that If Momma Was Married with Laura Benanti. She was very funny too mocking herself "little june" in that song.. For her Broadway debut- I am suprised that she is really really GOOD!

Leigh Ann Larkin

-her Dainty June & a Farm Boy number was hilarious and she has all the right pipes to belt the song out!

5. Boyd Gaines- I thought he was very good, perfect Herbie to complement Mama Rose. I was glad to see him again after JOURNEY'S END, PYGMALION.

6. Leonora Nemetz/Allison Fraser& Marilyn Caskey- When they sung, "You Gotta Got A Gimick Song" I almost got soo carried away that I forgot its Patti's show..lol!

Allison Fraser as Tessie Tura

- I thought the new take on Electra was great- she was soo tired and she was barely singing.

7. The Music of Jule Stynes & Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. I think I already mentioned how many recordings I have of this show! I just love the SCORE!

8. The whole ensemble- I thought no one is a weak link.. Even the lady answering the phone was hilarious. A special shout-out to my favorite chorus boy-Pearce Wegener as Yonker and he has some nice calves! - I've noticed it in the scene leading to (Have an Egg Roll) Mr. Goldstone, I love You ..number when he was lying on the bed.(see Stage Door Photo section)

Tony Yazbeck as Tulsa

9. Recreation of Jerome Robbins' Chreography by Bonnie Walker- I love the Dainty June & her Farm Boys number.

10. Arthur Laurents' Direction- Thank you, Mr. Laurents for bringing GYPSY back again on Broadway.. I have a feeling that this GYPSY was the closet to the Original Broadway with Ethel Merman..of course.. I did not see it.. but I was glad to see this one.. this time under the direction of Mr. Laurents.

Things I DID NOT LIke about the musical

N O N E

IN SUMMARY:

I know its not a perfect production... the sets are kinda flimsy...everytime they slammed the door.. the whole set was shaking....the fake sheep...but still.. I overlooked it...I came to see the show for the TALENTS, MUSIC & ORCHESTRA and I got what I wanted. It's probably the closet thing I will get to the original GYPSY which we cannot bring back anymore. It may NOT be the BEST REVIVAL this season, but in all honesty.. I think the last time I REALLY had a blast was GREY GARDENS.. I might just gotten carried away by my friends with last summer's XANADU...but this show... I can REALLY REALLY say that I had the time of my life! and lastly I think I will be back soon....so there will be a PART TWO!

Score : 10/0- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY (with stage door photos) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY (with stage door photos) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY (with stage door photos) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY (with stage door photos)

St. James Theater

THE MERCHANDISE:

Production Photos
(from Playbill)
https://www.playbill.com/multimedia/search/13800.html

Leigh Ann Larkin as Dainty June & her Farm Boys with

Boyd Gaines as Herbie & Patti LuPone as Mama Rose

Laura Benanti as Louise, Patti LuPone as Mama Rose & Boyd Gaines as Herbie

The Playbill

Stage Door Photos Part 1.

NOTE: Miss Patti does not go out during matinees..Hopefully I will catch her on my next visit and yes... that wont be any matinee for sure! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY (with stage door photos)

Laura Benanti as Gypsy Rose Lee

Tony Yazbeck as Tulsa

with Pearce Wegener as Yonkers (My favorite Chorus Boy)

with Miss Tessie Tura -Allison Fraser

Emma Rowley (as little Louise)

My Autographed Playbill part 1

Updated On: 5/14/08 at 05:28 PM

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:29pm

Jay, awesome review, as always.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:41pm

Jay, I think Saturday Night should write a character based on you with Amy Poehler playing you. Hilarious!

I am so glad you finally got to see an actress use three emotions during a song. That is so rare.

PEACE.

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#3re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:44pm

Man It was between Passing Strange and gypsy i picked PS for my once a year trip to NY i made the wrong choice

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#4re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:46pm

Glad you loved this show! I saw it during my spring break and could not agree with you more. When are you revisiting?

Also, I must ask...

Why'd you spend that much on a ticket??? I got great seats with the $65 discount...came out to about $74. I wasn't dead center (orchestra right Row E seat re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos), but still! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:49pm

Millie- I got soo excited that's why I paid $117.00. I bought it on the1st day of AM-EX pre sale.To tell you the truth. I really have no regret.. I think I got my money worth with the show! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)

I might revisit the show most likely on Memorial Day weekend on Sunday. I just realized that my camera does not work well at night and I would love to have a picture with Miss Patty.

BTW- I forgot to mentioned: even though I saw a matinee.. I thought the cast gave 110 % percent.

J*
Updated On: 3/23/08 at 05:49 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:49pm

oops. double...

J* Updated On: 3/23/08 at 05:49 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:51pm

Ahh, okay, I hadn't realized you bought it so early!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#8re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:55pm

Awesome review, Jay. It just makes me more excited/anxious to see it.

I can't wait for you double 10/10 report next weekend!

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#9re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:57pm

Jay you sealed it. I'm going to see this. I was debating because I did see it at City Center and there are so many more shows from this season that I haven't gotten to yet, but I have to make time to see it now after reading your review. Thank you for a great review as always!

jerseyboyschick2 Profile Photo
jerseyboyschick2
#10re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:58pm

Great review Jay! Glad you enjoyed the show. Can't wait for your next trip:)

"You will understand that Bww is a forum that allows Theatre people, Fussy old Queens, and chorus boys of Mama Mia to release their everyday life's frustration by being Snarky, B**chy, and sarcastic." -BwayBoundJoe

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#11re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 5:58pm

Excellent review, Jay! I saw the show last Wednesday and LOVED it! I agree with everything you said. The entire cast had so much talent, and Patti's "Rose's Turn" was one of the greatest things I have ever seen on a Broadway stage. She blew kisses to the audience that day too, because the ovation was so long. And I loved the overture. One of the best I have ever heard.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. It was a real treat to read!

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#13re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 6:16pm

Yay Jay! Once again, great review.

I'm seeing it Tues night. I loved it at City Center and can't wait to see how the show has grown.

Thanks, Jay! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Yankeefan007
#14re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 6:18pm

Interesting that they've changed the title to "Have an eggroll, Mr. Goldstone."

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#15re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 6:19pm

Um, I think she blows kisses at EVERY performance. Kind of like Shear Madness, you know?

PEACE.

dave1606
#16re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 6:20pm

Great report as always Jay! I am going to see this as soon as possible! Are you going to see the other two shows next weekend? Haha what happened to "taking a break from bway?"

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#17re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 6:22pm

Great review, Jay. I didn't love it as much as you did. I actually found it slow and uninspired on Laurents' part. LuPone's "Rose's Turn" was wonderful, but didn't think that she inhabited the role until almost the end of Act 1. I do agree about Laura Benanti, though. She was incredible. I was actually going to post up my review from the other day, but don't want to create another thread. Do you mind if I post mine?

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#18re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 6:22pm

What do you mean, Yankeefan?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 6:23pm

The song is usually listed as "Mr. Goldstone" or almost always "Mr Goldstone, I love you."
Updated On: 3/23/08 at 06:23 PM

RentBoy86
#20re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 7:02pm

Now I'm going to have to see this!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#21re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 7:24pm

Yankeefan- Thanks for the correction.. I did not even realize that.. Its one of those things you know..that I have a mind block..like Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner. and yes... I call the song.. Have an Egg Roll , Mr. Goldstone.. I never got that right! considering I did GYPSY in High School & College..lol.. I cant get that right! for my purpose..we will call that song...Have an Egg Roll, Mr. Goldstone! from now on here at BWW! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)

wickedfan- yup. you can post your review in this thread and thank you! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)

and yes...after next week for my Double 10/10 Reports on CRY-BABY & A CATERED AFFAIR ( A Day in a Life-like what I did on Sunday in the park...) I will take a break or hiatus from watching Broadway shows for the ENTIRE MONTH of April...but not from posting here..lol!

My Reports will be back in Mid-May for THE VISIT (DC) with special guest... ? - I am not saying who he is for now....and most likely my season finale for a special show or shows in last week of May. I will probably end up with 38-39 Reports this Season.

J*

Updated On: 3/23/08 at 07:24 PM

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#22re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 7:28pm

Jay you have gotten me even more excited to see this production. I cannot wait! IT'S A MONTH FROM TODAY THAT I GO!! :)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#23re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 7:35pm

Thanks for posting your review and pictures, Jay*. As always, lots of fun!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#24re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 7:49pm

Oh guys...I forgot to tell you since I only have 30 mins to write everything..(I was running errands in between bec. EVERYTHING closes early here on Easter. Grocery -2 pm, Gym -7 pm.. and as you all know I was in NYC all day yesterday and did not get back till 10 pm...so I barely did not have enough time to look at all my grammar- but you guys know what I am trying to convey-so pardon my mistakes!)

Additional Notes:

- The Orchestra is onstage-push back...when they have scenes a black panel covers them, but you still know that they are there...It really did not distract me at all. The staging is not elaborate, but I think they compensate with the FULL ORCHESTRA and the talents.

- The only time that the Orchestra was shown to the audience was:

a. Overture

b. Tulsa's number All I Need is the Girl which I think was brilliant. He was dancing while the Orchestra was playing on the background.

c. Part of Rose Turn.

d. Curtain Call.

I was really happy that I had a chance to see GYPSY bec. I missed it on City Center.
Patti LuPone really grew to the role.and I urged anyone who have not seen her LIVE onstage to see GYPSY...specially when she sings...I love how her lower jaw keeps moving when she sings a longer note...that was priceless to see that up close. I think I fell in love with Miss Patti! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)

J*

Updated On: 3/23/08 at 07:49 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#25re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on LuPONE GYPSY Part 1 (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/23/08 at 7:50pm

I thought you were also seeing Cry-Baby this weekend.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany