pixeltracker

London's "Woman in White" now changed to what will be Broadway version

London's "Woman in White" now changed to what will be Broadway version

leeinlondon
#0London's "Woman in White" now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 12:12pm

I hear when they introduced the new cast including Ruthie Henshall taking over from Maria Friedman they have introduced changes that bring the show here in line with the planned Broadway version.

They have made small changes to the story (A happier ending than either of the ones used so far), changes to staging (Some redirection, some new projections etc) and replaced some some sung through sections with spoken dialogue.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#1re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 12:14pm

Has the show been re-reviewed? How were the new cast received?

leeinlondon
#2re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 12:16pm

They have not invited press to this change although they did allow a few press Tickets to see Michael Ball as Count Fosco (My Guess is that they were expecting good reviews for him and plan to use these in future publicity to build up expectation if he stars on the broadway mounting of the show as is rumoured).

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#3re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 12:27pm

I have heard that they have changed the ending from the original Marion standing alone and cry to the new one with Laura and Walter marrying with Marion laughing bittersweet beside...... :S
BUt I have heard extremem reviews about Ruthie. But overall I heard that the new cast is EXCELLENT! But I personally think n hope that Ruthie is GOOD!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

leeinlondon
#4re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 12:30pm

SPOILER

Spoiler as should be in the above !!

The very original ending was Marion watching a man tapping out the Grave then they changed it to Marion walking towards the audience alone on stage and now they have Marion watching the wedding and laughing.

CDuffy5062
#5re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 1:12pm

It will certainly be interesting to see what changes they've incorporated for Broadway.

Now, if we could only get a cast announcement. Any news on that score?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 1:37pm

They're in the midst of casting as we speak, but Maria Friedman, Angela Christian, Jill Paice, Martin Crewes and Michael Ball are all expected to repeat on Broadway.

RentBoy86
#7re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 1:39pm

What's the ending on the CD?

Michael Bennett
#8re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 1:42pm

The original with the chisling of the gravestone.

sharon1
#9re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 2:23pm

When is it expected to open? November or early 2006 Thanks

CDuffy5062
#10re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 2:37pm

Thanks Michael. I thoroughly enjoyed this show in London, and am looking forward to seeing it here.

Lori
#11re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 2:45pm

Michael...I'm seriously hoping for all that you have said. I know Maria has been "confirmed" and that Jill and Angela were expected to come over. Last I heard Martin was not coming, but I would certainly welcome a reprise of his "Walter". I think he has a beautiful voice and he's a hell of a nice guy to boot.

As for Michael Ball...this is the role that should bring him back to Broadway. And his chemistry with Maria is amazing. That particular cast worked together very well (and seemed to have a real rapport off-stage too)

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#12re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 2:58pm

Oh no- From what I've seen of London to Broadway transfers, I hope they do not butcher this show as producers have done to so many beautiful productions.

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#13re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 3:24pm

Well, if you take a look at Andrew Lloyd Webber's other transfers from London to New York, the shows never really changed that much, minor changes, but nothing that would dramatically alter the original production. I think ALW is a man who is able to realize when he has a solid product. Bombay Dreams is really the only instance where a show with Lloyd Webber's name was "really" altered.....But then again it wasn't really his show, he was just the producer for the project. I'm so excited to get the opportunity to see this show, what great music...And a thrilling cast!

See Ya!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#14re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 3:26pm

A "happier ending?" Boo!

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

#15re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 4:29pm

REPEAT OF SPOILER

<>

Wait a minute... chiseling of Grave? Can somebody explain? I think I saw the version with her walking towards the audience alone onstage.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#16re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 4:35pm

Michael, I,too, hope that all you say as regards to the cast come to pass. I had heard from an extremely reliable source on my recent trip to London that Martin was not going to be part of the New York cast. It was news that disappointed me as Martin is, as Lori says, a wonderful singer and a lovely person to talk to. But as I said to someone else, things can change -- even in the space of two weeks!

Lori, I agree with your coments about Michael Ball. He really did such a fantastic job with the role in London, he deserves to reprise it on Broadway.

Michael any word on an opening date? According to an interview I just heard with Andrew Lloyd Webber, he only states the opening will be "before 2006." The interview was on a promotional cd I got when I saw WiW on July 9.

Michael Bennett
#17re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 5:35pm

I think the November 17th date is still target right now. It would be unwise to forgo the holidays and open in January-February, the worst months for tourism (and weather) in NYC.

Last I heard, they were still trying to negotiate with AEA regarding Crews. I'm pretty certain offers have been extended to all the London principles (including Ball), though Equity could, I suppose make a case against Crews, who is neither a name or "uniquely qualified" under AEA rules.

I'm sure they'll announce something in the next few weeks.

Updated On: 7/19/05 at 05:35 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#18re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 5:43pm

Thanks, Michael. I hope AEA can work something out for Martin. It would really be great if he is able to make his Broadway debut in this show.

I also continue to be hopeful about Michael Ball as well. I will be home in the U.S. for a long visit in November/December --I would love to have the chance to see this in my hometown with that fantastic cast.

jo
#19re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 6:40pm

I think the production that will transfer to Broadway will be best served by retaining the major cast members who all performed so well in the London staging - Maria, Michael B, Martin, Angela and Jill. I really liked this new ALWebber show and I would like it to succeed very much on Broadway, both artistically and at the box office.

Michael Bennett - I have been hoping that your new update would be to say that Michael Ball will be Fosco for Broadway. So, Thanks!

Lee - did you say that they had rehearsed the changes planned for Broadway with Michael Ball as Count Fosco? I hope that means possibly a new song and more dialogue for Michael. I agree that they can build some of the publicity around the Fosco character because it is, surprisingly, the comic twist in the show. Even if it is also the menacing side of the drama! Also, Michael's appearance with the New York City Opera in Mid-September to early October this year for the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta PATIENCE can only show a side of his talent that can re-introduce him back to Broadway with such panache!

Crossing my fingers that all would go well - and thinking of returning to NYC perhaps by TONY time re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version

Updated On: 7/20/05 at 06:40 PM

jo
#20re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 7:42pm

>>Lee - did you say that they had rehearsed the changes planned for Broadway with Michael Ball as Count Fosco<<

Sorry, were you referring to the time when Michael first played Fosco, or is this a new rehearsal ( for the planned changes)?

Jo

Lori
#21re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 8:11pm

Michael, thank you for your comments. As I'm sure you can tell, the cast of this show has a pretty loyal following amongst those who saw them perform together. I echo Jo and KEC's comments that the Producers could not find a better cast then the combination that we all saw (individually) in London. Maria, Michael, Jill, Angela and Martin were a great team and I can only say theatre-goers here would be impressed to see this wonderful show with this cast.

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

EganFan2
#22re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 9:33pm

What about Oliver Darley? His voice was strangely chilling singing the part of Sir Percival Glyde.

jo
#23re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/19/05 at 11:14pm

Oliver Darley was also very good as Sir Percival Glyde. But I think it may not be realistic to expect that he would also make it to Broadway.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#24re: London's 'Woman in White' now changed to what will be Broadway version
Posted: 7/20/05 at 2:29am

As much as I want Michael Ball to repeat im still upset that Michael Crawford wont be doing it.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Videos