PREMIUM Seating!?!?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#0PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 11:55pm

Alright kids, this is getting out of control. I went to a box office today of a generally sold-out show and I wanted a ticket for tomorrow night. I was told there was a "premium" seat available for $250.

Premium location? Right Orchestra, Row H, seat 10.

Pardon? Since when is Right Orchestra, Row H, seat 10 "Premium"?

How about producers know some rich guy will eventually come by and shell out the money for it, so they just slap a $250 price tag on it and those of us who struggle to pay the usual $100 (oh excuse me, $111.25) just won't be able to see the show at all. No sweat off their backs, apparently.

PREMIUM my ass. Grr. PREMIUM Seating!?!?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 12/30/05 at 11:55 PM

BOYFROMOZ
#1re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:15am

I find it crazy that anyone would want to pay that much. Broadway is taking its power into high gear this time with ticket sales. Since most of the shows are sold out, currently this week, greedy producers want to kick up the prices on tickets. Who would want to pay so much for a broadway show anyway?

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#2re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:18am

Maybe this "premium seating" scheme is the reason 2005 is the highest-grossing year...
Or maybe it's just become more noticeable with all the popular shows on Broadway this season.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:33am

Broadway producers have taken it over the edge this year. They have gone to every extent to make Broadway as inaccessible to the non-wealthy as possible.

Broadway shows can have a top price. It can be $100 or $110 or $111.25, that's fine, but have ONE top price and stick with it. Orchestra and front mezzanine: one price. Rear Mezz: another price. Balcony: another price. That's it, that's how it's always been, and I don't think that's much to ask. This greedyness is ridiculous.

It all started with Billy Crystal's show. People paid up the wazoo for his show. Don't get me wrong, it was a great show, but what is this, a game of selling the best seats to the highest bidders? Man, they even began the process of selling standing room tickets in advance! I bought my standing room ticket for 700 Sundays on ebay for $75 (great deal!). Oy.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 12/30/05 at 12:33 AM

C is for Company
#4re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:39am

Then again, would you complain if you were sitting in a $95 seat while people who won a lottery sat in front of you for $25? Either way there are extremes of cost. Some could be really expensive or cheap, either way I wouldnt complain over it being too expensive cause sometimes it can be too cheap.
I think it evens out

Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:43am

Rush is available for those who cannot afford regular-priced seats. It is a limited number of seats per performance. The same amount every time. Those of us who choose to do rush pay our own price of waiting in lines, hoping to win a lottery, going back time and time again. Students can afford that.

Nothing "evens out" by choosing random seats and selling them for upwards of $250. That is simply producers being greedy and wanting to make as much money as possible, without regard for making Broadway available to the middle class.

-Kad

Updated On: 12/30/05 at 12:43 AM

C is for Company
#6re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:47am

well personally, I dont think its tooooo bad to pay the 36.25, I'm fine paying that much to see such great work. I would of course love $25 rush seats anyday for it, but I guess you pay what you must to see good shows.
And in turn, I'd wait 2 hours in line if I had to to get the cheapest tickets, it doesnt bother me much. I guess the fools who pay for premium would rather skip the hassle and pay the extra dollars, but I think we have it fine for now, us Rushers

Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:50am

Yeah, but now certain shows think they're even too good for ANY sort of RUSH policy (Sweeney, anyone?).

Bottom line: it's all about making Broadway accessible to people from all lifestyles (students, full-time workers, part-time workers, parents), and from all financial backgrounds.

-Kad

Updated On: 12/30/05 at 12:50 AM

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#8re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:58am

I have to say being from out of town and wanting to have decent seats to a popular production, premium seating is the way to go. I recently saw The Color Purple and Sweeney Todd using Premium seating at each $241.25 or higher. I could see how it can get out of control. I have used TKTS to purchase seats but find it easier to have my shows planned and tickets in hand. If I was a New Yorker then I would not shell out that much.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#9re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:03am

It is ridculous.....it needs to stop!

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#10re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:04am

i hate the high ticket prices- as a student from LI I find it hard to do rush all the time- you have to get there really early and then if you dont win you waste a trip in or end up seeing something you werent really wanting to see. I wish more shows did student rush than lottery....

I also think premium seats are a load of bull- like 111.25 isnt enough? in a couple years i can foresee the premium prices of today being some of the normal prices. (it seems like every couple years they raise prices about 10 bucks... thanks Mel Brooks and PRODUCERS for taking us over the 100 mark!)

sorry about the rant lol...

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

MargoChanning
#11re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:22am

It actually all started with The Producers, which bumped the top price from $90 to $100 on the day the rave reviews came out and then announced the formation of the Broadway Inner Circle around the same time which had premium seating for it and a few other shows for up to $480.

I understand the thinking behind all of it. Once it was discovered a few years ago that there are a LOT of people very willing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for a night's entertainment, the major concert and sporting venues started premium pricing (over and beyond the scalpers' prices) and the Broadway people have long wanted a piece of this exclusive pie.

If Madison Square Garden can charge $2000+ for a single courtside seat to see the Knicks or Rangers play and the Meadowlands and Giants Stadium can get several thousands of dollars more than that for a skybox at every game, then why shouldn't the producers of Broadway shows ask $100-500 for a good seat for a hit show if so many are willing to pay the price? Law of Supply and Demand. Does it suck? Yes. Does it perhaps endanger the future of theatre in NYC? Doubtful, since there's plenty of great, quality theatre in New York City for a fraction of the premium price (and more often than not, the shows that are available only through premium pricing are the over-hyped, bs, tourist trash that people shell out outrageous sums to see mainly because it's the "HOT" show of the moment, not because it's actually "the best show in town" or even a particularly worthwhile theatrical experience -- there are ALWAYS $20 shows Off-off-Broadway that are far more enjoyable than spending $500 to see the unspectacular current production of "The Odd Couple").

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 12/30/05 at 02:22 AM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#12re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:33am

I was at Spamalot and noticed that their premium tickets had the holiday price of $351.25 ($1.25 was the theater restoration fee). For that price, I want to be seated front row center orchestra on the lap of a chorus boy.

Wanna Be A Foster, why are you attacking Sweeny for not having rush tickets? You can get full price tickets to that for just $36 and the seats aren't that bad.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

jo
#13re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:39am

While I do understand that it is simple economics, what seems unfair is that premium pricing has spread from what used to be just a few rows on Orchestra Center to practically the whole Orchestra Center and even choice seats on the Left and Right side of the orchestra. In some cases, these seats are purchased for corporate entertaining and tickets are given to corporate clients who may not even necessarily appreciate the show fully.

Perhaps what would be more equitable on both sides is if there is a maximum ratio of premium price seating to regular price seating, set perhaps by the League of American Producers and Theatres together with some representation from any Consumer Protection group in New York.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#14re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:53am

I totally had this conversation with an actor in a show. We were talking about there is only a select group of seats that the show is meant to be seen from (center orchestra, starting at about 8 rows back). THOSE should be the premium tickets, because they're the premium seats.

You shouldn't be paying $200 for a seat in the right orchestra where scenary blocks your view and you can see people backstage changing in the wings. Economics shouldn't be the only concern, especially when the people walk away from the show saying they wasted their money because it wasn't good. No, the show was good, your seats just sucked and it ruined the experience.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 12/30/05 at 02:53 AM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#15re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:18am

My suggestion would be to make the theatres match the number of "premium" seats with the same number of $20 "cheap" seats - even if the latter are in less desirable locations. Example, a hit show holding 400 premium seats would also have 400 cheap seats. Keep it all in balance.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

mpw607
#16re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 5:32am

I'm from London and am generally shocked at how high regular Broadway tickets are compared with our West End. Here you can get top tickets for £50 (say $75 to $80) rather than $110. Most things in the USA are better value than in Britain, but theatre tickets are an exception.

The other thing that bugs me is the excessive retention of "house seats" well after a show's launch. On my visit in Novemeber I tried to get centre seats in rows D to G for Jersey Boys for 3 months ahead but none were available. The clerk seemed to imply that that block were kept back as house seats. How many house seats do they need for Feb/Mar - surely not a 100 or so? No - they'll end up being sold as Premium Seats.

What annoys me most is the lack of openness. The official price list at the theatre shows the top price at around $110. If in fact there is a policy of selling say 200 seats at say $250 each then it should be openly stated on the official price list.

Don't get me wrong, Jersey Boys is a great show. It was a highlight of my visit. But it's frustrating for travellers who plan months ahead not to be able to pre book good seats at the published price.

IssaMe
#17re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 7:19am

Wasn't there talk of actors possibly receiving a percentage under upcoming not-yet-negotiated union contracts...just as they get a cut under the new Equity special experimental touring contract?

Maybe the actors should share in this pricing of non-premium seats at premium prices.

Fair is far.

#18re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 8:05am

"I guess the fools who pay for premium would rather skip the hassle and pay the extra dollars, but I think we have it fine for now, us Rushers"

Fools? As previously stated in this thread, some people want to see a show with a certain cast during a certain time period and don't want to risk rushing and not getting tickets. Calling people who buy premium seats fools is uncalled for. We bought premium seats for Spamalot and it was either that, buy from brokers or not see the show. Although it was a ridiculous amount of money, premium seats were cheaper and more reliable than the brokers. Not to mention, at least the money goes to the theater, instead of random brokers.

Yes, I agree that it is out of control. However, it does not appear that this trend will die out over time. I remember premium seats on sale for Lion King and Ragtime, but I think they also included entrance to a VIP lounge and special playbill.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#19re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 8:56am

Premium pricing has been around for several years. We've had the debate on here many times and it garners roughly the same responses every time.

I can understand people's frustration over the cost of attending shows - but keep in mind that (for example) this past week - which was a holiday week - the AVERAGE ticket price for all the shows on the boards ranged from just under $50 to $99. I won't be impertinent and explain what average means.. but in short - there are plenty of seats going for much less that the top ticket price for ALL the shows. If they have student rush/lottery - why shouldn't they have premium pricing as well?

Do you REALLY begrudge the producers for wanting to make money considering that many to most shows don't even recoup on broadway to begin with?

We're blessed this year with all 4 Tony nominated best musicals still running - do you know how rare that is?

Theater tickets, in relation to everthing else, has been affected by inflation.

Even movie theaters now often have "premium" seating...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#20re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 8:58am

Premium seating did not start with 700 Sundays, it started with The Producers, and it started almost immediately. People were desperate for tickets and paid the big bucks, setting a precedent that most of us can't afford. I remember a friend GOT premium seats at that time and was told they were not only "premium" orchestra seats (implying the best view of the stage or something), but not having to wait in line to get in to the theater, but entering earlier and through a "special" entrance. It was winter, it was cold, AND she really wanted to see the show before Matthew and Nathan left, so she bought the tickets.

So of course, she got to the theater on the appointed day, showed her "premium" ticket outside the theater to find out where the VIP entrance was, and they told her to get in line with everyone else LOL. She was not as miffed as I would have been because her priority was simply getting IN, and as long as people pay premium price for a plain old seat at a show, producers of these shows are going to charge it.

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

#21re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 9:11am

I bought tickets to see "Jersey Boys" in April---3rd row, center, at $110 per seat. A few days later, I tried to add a couple of seats in the same general area, but found that they were now $201. Now, a week or so later, they are listed at $251! Is this increase a temporary one for the holidays or will it continue into the spring?

Fosse76
#22re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 9:55am

It's people like you, who will pay thes outrageous fees, that allow producers to keep charging them. You can't get a seat in the orchestra for Spamalot for less than the premium prices. While I agree with what Margo said for the most part, I think it is time that it stops. It's one thing to have a few rows, but an ENTIRE floor??? Ridiculous. Perhaps at the next Equity negotiations they should fight to restrict the number of seats available as premium, and anything over that number must go to the actors. You bet they wouldn't go over that minimum!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#23re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 10:36am

It's not only broadway, we've got premium seats off broadway also. I don't know what prompts folks to spend that money, but I won't question it. I do feel sorry though, when I see them purchase those seats ($126, $150) when the house is kind of empty.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#24re: PREMIUM Seating!?!?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 10:53am

Regarding Spamalot, I have Row A, seat 103, and paid about $103 for it (if I remember correctly) for a February performance. I won't pay premium prices, unless it's the second coming of La Streisand! I do, however, buy single seats, and plan in advance.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Videos