pixeltracker

Theater/Theatre: The Difference?

Theater/Theatre: The Difference?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#0Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:53am

Can someone please clear up for me when it is proper to use the term "theatre" and when to use "theater"? I just want to know if there's a difference. I believe one refers to a venue and the other refers to the actual art?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Broadway_Boy
#1re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:58am

"theatre" refers to the venue and "theater" refers to the art form.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

Broadway_Boy
#2re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:58am

Double Post

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR
Updated On: 1/30/06 at 10:58 AM

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#3re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:59am

NO!!! It is the other way around.

Theatre=art form
Theater=building

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Broadway_Boy
#4re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:34am

Oh, maybe your right but on broadway playbills under the title of the show it says the name of the "theater" and its always spelled "theatre".

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:37am

I always thought that a playes/musicals were in "theatres" and film was in "theaters".

Just give the world Love.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:39am

http://myst-technology.com/mysmartchannels/public/item/17841

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#7re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:45am

Still in doubt?...google both words "theater" and " theatre"
You will find several offerings that allude to the fact that theater almost always refers to a venue and theatre, the art form.

Enjoy this great weather day folks!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

SweetQintheLights
#8re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 12:07pm

Funny that this is mentioned. I am making a resume in my technical writing class and my teacher said I could use "Theatre" or "Theater."

However, he suggests I use "Theatre" for live stage acting and "Theatre as for the bulidng- Movie theater.

He is very picky about eveverything else but he has seen a lot of resume's in his time and has seen the word spelled both ways.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

professor Profile Photo
professor
#9re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 1:34pm

The two spellings are interchangable. Any distinction between them is merely specious. Some publications have style sheets which specify one spelling over the other. But if you're doing a resume, paper for school, etc., you can use either one to mean the art, the building, whatever (as long as you're consistent).

"Inside every actor there is a Tiger, a Pig, an Ass, and a Nightingale. You never know which one is going to show up." -John Michael Higgins in FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#10re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 1:37pm

Unless a theatre has chosen to be spelled "-er", I always use theatre for the stage and theater for movies. Just be consistent and mindful of how a company spells their name. re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?

Plum
#11re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 1:37pm

Okay, here's my perspective-

In England, "theatre" is the accepted spelling, period.

In America, "theatre" is used to refer to the building, and "theater" to the study and art. However, they can be interchanged (especially the former into the latter definition) and people won't notice. It's a pretty artifical distinction.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#12re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 1:58pm

I'm a snob--I can't stand the stage being called "theater". lol

jasobres
#13re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:50pm

I always thought it was the same as the difference between ketchup and catsup.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#14re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:22pm

Only in America will you see the spelling 'theater'. The accepted spelling worldwide is 'theatre'. Stick to that spelling, outside of America you may be looked at as illiterate if using 'theater'.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#15re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:30pm

I was taught long ago that "theatre" is the "British" spelling, and "theater" is the american spelling. Much like Shop and Shoppe.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

sweeneytodd2
#16re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:36pm

One is spelled "t-h-e-a-t-r-e" and the other "t-h-e-a-t-e-r."

colleen_lee
#17re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:43pm

I remember spelling it t-h-e-a-t-r-e on a fifth grade spelling test, getting marked wrong and getting in a huge argument with my teacher about it.

You don't mess with the grade school spelling bee champion biatch!

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#18re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 8:57pm

jrb_actor...hehe I agree, I can't stand it when it's Theater, I think it's because I took French in Jr.High/High school.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis
Updated On: 1/30/06 at 08:57 PM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#19re: Theater/Theatre: The Difference?
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:04pm

I've never seen 'shoppe' anywhere other than some themed retail outlet. Shoppe?