First Wives Club headed to Bway

Yankeefan007
#0First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:06am

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93628.html

To feature a score by Eddie Holland, Lamont Dozier and Brian Holland, who wrote for Martha and The Vandellas, The Miracles, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops and The Supremes. The songwriters will compose original tunes for the musical Updated On: 6/20/05 at 10:06 AM

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#1re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:20am

i LOOOOOOVED that movie!! who do you think theyll get to play the ladies?? this should be fun... joanna gleason would be a good one

you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have

theatreboi11
#2re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:24am

ugh! Yet an other musical featuring juke box songs! When will it end?

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

cserannie
#3re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:27am

How about Joanna or Christine Baranski.

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#4re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:27am

no i think theyre writing new music- right yankeefan? they just wrote for those people in the past.

you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have

Yankeefan007
#5re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:34am

new music

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#6re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:36am

whats that song they sing at the end of the movie again?

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#7re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:37am

How about leaving well enough alone?

timote316
#8re: First Wives Club headed to Bway

"The songwriters will compose original tunes for the musical, which will likely feature some of their hit tunes as well."

So, its a semi-jukebox musical.

This is a great chance for older actresses, who normally would be passed over for the top leads, to get back (like Victoria Clark and Maureen McGovern this year). Joanna Gleason would be great.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#9re: First Wives Club headed to Bway

you don't own me

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Shaiman/Wittman do this musical...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#10re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:45am

personally i dont see victoria clark in this one, but who knows. i agree, about that timote, they really need a show, theyre getting overlooked. hey what about bernadette peters, shed be fun

Yankeefan007
#11re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:52am

Christine Baranski Victoria Clark Ruth Williamson

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#12re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:52am

I can't get You Don't Own Me out of my mind now.

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#13re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:54am

hehe, its catchy

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#14re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 11:04am

I think it sounds very promising. Bacharach and David didn't do too badly with "The Apartment".

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#15re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 11:15am

Cant wait for this show!!

LoringsGuy
#16re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 11:17am

Joanna Gleason in the Diane Keaton role, Mary Testa in the Bette Midler role, and Rachel York in the Goldie Hawn role.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#17re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:09pm

Wait a sec... Where's Marc Shaiman? I mean, he did the composing for the film? It's his arrangment of "You Don't Own Me" that we all tapped our toes to...

Why isn't he doing the stage version?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Jon
#18re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:19pm

Hey folks, how about some Karen Ziemba?

Urban
#19re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:23pm

What about Maureen McGoven and Patti LuPone together. Oh don't worry guys. I am just being evil... after all these women are suppose to get along and not have diva ego disco fights.

Seriously Christine Barinski please!

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#20re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/21/05 at 8:32am

FINALLY!!!!!!! HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN ASKING FOR THIS?!?!?!?!?!?

Joanna Gleason or Christine Baranski for Diane Keaton's role

Bernadette Peters for Bette Midler's role

Rachel York for Goldie Hawn's role

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#21re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/21/05 at 8:35am

thats the best cast ive heard so far (w joanna not christine) yay i hope they actually cast some of these people- but they will cause they need big names for first wives club since the movie had big names. you go to see who's in it

MATheaterLover
#22re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/21/05 at 9:56am

I'd like to see Marin Mazzie in the Goldie Hawn role, Victoria Clark in the Diane Keaton role, and.... hmm.... let's see... maybe Andrea Martin in the Bette Midler role.

LoringsGuy
#23re: First Wives Club headed to Bway
Posted: 6/21/05 at 11:17am

What about Carole Shelley in the Maggie Smith role?

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Videos