2. Lennon
3. The Blonde in the Thunderbird

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#1re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:36am

haha... oops... I actually saw everything on their "worst" list

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

AngusN
#2re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:39am

Er... hello....What about 'The Light in the Piazza?'

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:39am

No Piazza?

And I'm waiting for all the Lennonheads to come on this thread and call EW every name in the book...

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#4re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:40am

I'm also suprised that Woman in White isn't mentioned. Probably because of the media bias against ALW.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#5re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:42am

Given the list of shows that ARE there, WIW shouldn't be there. Especially since LITP didn't make it.

". . . POP . . ."

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#6re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:45am

I agree. I think that LITP should be on the top five of that list. I just think that WIW belongs their as well. EW has some flaws in their theater reviews. I liked Sweeney, but I wouldn't put it above either LITP or WIW

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#7re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:47am

well EW gave WIW a C+... and not exactly a rave review, so I wasn't surprised that it's not on there. But please, what do they know anyway... "The Blond and the Thunderbird" on the worst list, shocked I tell you! Shocked!

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#8re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:47am

I would have LITP #1 and Sweeney #2 . . . only because I feel like LITP is a more accessible vehicle. It would be interesting what the next 10 on their list are.

". . . POP . . ."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:48am

These lists usually don't feature many musicals. Usually only 1 or 2, and then a bunch of plays.

Sweeney recieved almost universal praise, while WIW was less liked by some critics. Clearly EW was one of those critics.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#10re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:50am

Right, that is my point. I doubt there is any ALW musical that has gotten "universal praise." Many critics pride themselves on disliking ALW, as does much of the theater community. Really, I'm not that suprised it is not on the Top 10 list, because of the composer.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:54am

Well, can you really fault some people for hating ALW's shows?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#12re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:55am

I definitely would've chosen The Light in the Piazza over The Ruby Sunrise or Judas Iscariot, both of which were mediocre at best.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#13re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:56am

I'm not challenging the merits of their opinion (at least at this time) but rather am simply making the observation that for better or for worse, many critics dislike ALW's music.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#14re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:57am

Well, if a lot of people have an opinion, shouldn't that tell you a little something about the quality of the material?

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#15re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:01pm

The majority isn't always correct, you need only to look to many instances of history to discover that.
In this instance, I don't think it tells you much about the matierial because I think in a lot of instances critics have a bias against any Webber show before they even see it. I also think that critics have too narrow of a view of what musical theater should be, which effects their judgement on Webber's musicals. In many of the reviews, critics complained about ALW's songs in the musical, calling them sappy and in essence saying that they sounded too good. These complaints make little sense to me. You are complaining because the music is sweet and memorable. And I think critics tend to forget the sappy roots that musicals come from.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:08pm

I usually agree 100 percent with the critics opinons on ALW. But what do I know...

If he found better lyricists, I might be able to sit through and entire ALW score (except the Rice works, which are brilliant) without wanting to plunge my ears with a sharp object.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#17re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:13pm

I agree that the lyrics for some of his shows are less than mediocre. For example, in WIW: " I must disregard his charms, and his manly rugged arms." What? I think the Phantom lyrics aren't terrible, and I think Sunset has great lyrics. Of course the Rice works have excellent lyrics.
But despite the lyrics, why can't you just sit back and enjoy the sweeping melodies that are always evident in his shows? Or in the instance of WIW, why not just sit back and enjoy the story? That was the aspect of the show I found the most interesting in London.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:17pm

A bad book, and/or bad lyrics can sink a show. Some of my favorite scores have awful books, and make them unbearable on stage, even though I love the songs themselves.

But most people can't just sit back and enjoy the music when almost every other element is crap. Why do you think ALW has so many instrumental recordings out? His music is fine, beautiful in some cases, but the material he adapts and the people he works with, just don't equal that. Which makes a 3 hour show pretty hard to bear. Since ALW is a producer, I think he will always get more flack for the overall product, even though his contributions are good.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#19re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:18pm

With a name like ALWrules, it's going to be hard to have a fair debate about ALW scores.

It's EW, not American Theatre, it's going to have a slant toward shows with more "buzz," though not all of those shows listed fall into that category.

I agree that Sweeney is a great show, but I personally would've rated Pillowman at #1.

timote316
#20re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:21pm

Thats exactly how I feel Bobby. I really don't like ALW's work, save for Evita, JCS and Joseph.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#21re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:24pm

Whay do you mean it's hard to have a fair debate? All of us come in with our opinions and should be able to discuss them. I obviously have an opinion favoring ALW, while other people have names inclining them towards other musicals (I.e. BobbyBubby, wickedfreak, Elphaba, etc...)
I think that lyrics are important, and my more favorite ALW shows have better lyrics. But just because the lyrics are crap doesn't mean that " every other element is crap." The sets are often visually attracitve, and with many ALW shows the story is a fascinating thing to follow. I also again state that I don't believe that his lyrics are always that bad. Yes, David Zippel is inconsistent, as are Don Black and Charles Hart in the various shows they have done. But some of the shows still happen to have great lyrics, or at least good enough for the show to function. I have never found consistently bad enough lyrics in any ALW show that has prevented me from enjoying it.
I think the music can be enjoyed despite less desirable lyrics. What do you think people do when they go to the opera. They can't understand what they are saying on stage, and mostly go there for two things: the music and occasionally the story of the opera itself. ALW is bridging the gap between musical and opera with his works.

Fosse76
#22re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:41pm

I don't think Sweeney Todd is the best of the year. It plays only to people familiar to the show, and not to anyone who may not have ever seen or heard it before. Had I not watched the Lansbury video, I would have been lost.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 1:10pm

I think the Sweeney revival is SPECTACULAR.

I purposely saw it without seeing the Lansbury/Hearn video. I followed the show for the most part, but once I saw the Lansbury video, it cleared some things up for me.

If a newcomer is seeing Sweeney without seeing the video, I think it's important they realize it's taking place in an Asylum, and being told through Tobias. And they should also know an overview of the characters.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#24re: EW names SWEENEY TODD 'Show of the Year'
Posted: 12/23/05 at 1:18pm

Did I say anything about censoring you? No, simply stated that someone who has a name like ALWrules might not be the most objective critic of ALW, same with Bobby and Sondheim, that's all...still not sure what a debate about ALW has to do with EW's list, but I'm a thread jacker myself, so where do I get off?