Very, very interesting blog entry here.
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1898

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 3/28/06 at 06:52 PM

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#1re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:08pm

I saw the revival of Chicago from the last row of the orchestra, and can personally attest that at least the upper HALF of the stage is completely hidden from view. It didn't matter too much with that show, except for when Velma climbs the ladder up the proscenium and sings "Can you imagine, I mean can you imagine...."

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:08pm

Last 10 rows of the orchestra is a significant number of seats. That number times 8 shows a week times however long the show runs would equal a large number of upset patrons. The situation would be a bit more palatable had the obstructed portions of the performance not been so significant to the show. This would be akin to going to see CHITTY and never seeing the car leave the ground!

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#3re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:09pm

While this will prove problematic in the long run, I'm guessing that for the first few months of the run, Disney will have no trouble filling every seat. I'm betting that there was a line outside of people who would have gladly snatched up those rear orchestra tix.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#4re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:12pm

If Disney is charging full price for those tickets they deserve to be shot...

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

Yankeefan007
#5re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:13pm

I have tickets for Saturday's matinee --- Row T, obstructed view. I'm personally excited to see how obstructed it is. I honestly cannot wait. I plan on writing letters to DTP, as well as NY1, for Onstage. Maybe Roma will read it live. Haha

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:14pm

They should've kept MOVIN' OUT open and waited for another theatre.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:14pm

That section caused a ton of obstruction problems with Movin' Out, too. I don't understand how this wasn't anticipated.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#8re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:16pm

I realize it probably did, and as much as I loved watching the band, the action on stage was the most important for MOVIN' OUT.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

luvtheEmcee
#9re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:17pm

Right, obvioulsy more of Tarzan's action takes place above those sight lines than it did with Movin' Out, but if it was a problem for that show, this should've been expected.

pianoman215 Profile Photo
pianoman215
#10re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:18pm

Glad my tickets are in the mezz!

Yankeefan007
#11re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:19pm

Having an Uncle who is a VP at Disney (and he couldn't even get me free tickets), I know that their first priority isn't the audience.

Drumroll....

Surprise! It's the MONEY!
Updated On: 3/27/06 at 07:19 PM

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#12re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:21pm

It's not exactly a new theatre, and the mezzanine hasn't recently been lowered. The potential for this problem has existed since the theatre was built. It's just not fair to pay full price for seeing half the show.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#13re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:21pm

Wow...that's pretty sad.

broadway4L
#14re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:28pm

Two Questions:

1. Anyone have pictures of the inside of the theatre.

2 I'm sitting row N orchestra right towards the far right in the row, is that really obstructed?

luvtheEmcee
#16re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:29pm

I think row N is at the beginning of the upper section of the orchestra, which if I'm remembering correctly, is not that bad.

waddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
#17re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:31pm

I will never buy an 'obstructed view' ticket again. The term is so vague, and they use it to cheat you out of your money. The theatre where the Wicked tour stopped in Philadelphia has the entire "Family Circle" section lined with columns about a volleyball's diameter. A girl two rows ahead of me paid full price for her ticket, and found her seat to be completely obstructed by a support column. No way to see the show at all - it was completely blocking her entire view.

I guess the solution is to save enough money to buy a really good ticket. But in the case of Tarzan, the Orchestra section isn't even good enough. What a logistics nightmare.

Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#18re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:33pm

Having an Uncle who is a VP at Disney (and he couldn't even get me free tickets), I know that their first priority isn't the audience.

Drumroll....

Surprise! It's the MONEY!

Their first priority will become the audience once they all start asking for their money back.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 3/27/06 at 07:33 PM

JasonM12480
#19re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:42pm

Perhaps if theater today could become less about gimmicks, such as flying, hanging, things that rise and fall, people/objects out over the audience, etc., and get back to the time-honored tradition of "simply being on the stage, and acting", then we wouldn't have these ridiculous problems. I saw "How To Succeed" there in 1996, and sat towards the back of the audience, and saw everything beautifully. I don't remember there being any point in which Matthew Broderick or Lillias White flew over, under, next to, across, or by the audience. Oh that's right - they simply sang, acted, and danced like a normal musical should. What a concept!!

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#20re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:44pm

Well do you expect them to do this with a disney show about a flying/swinging man?

JasonM12480
#21re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:46pm

No. I excpect for intelligent concepts to be put on the stage. I always thought Tarzan was the most ridiculous idea for a musical. There are many other great Disney films that, in my opinion, would translate much better to the stage.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#22re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:48pm

Well, The Little Mermaid is still doing workshops, you have that to look forward to. re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#23re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:54pm

That's the silliest thing I've ever read. So, they shouldn't try new and innovative staging (and this goes for any musical)???? Should they all just stand center stage and read their lines?

#24re: MouseWatch.com: 'obstructed view' at Tarzan doesn't begin to cover it
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:56pm

I HATE this theatre. The Front Mezz is so high up that it might as well be a second balcony! The rear orchestra is just dreadful!

Videos